IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A dimension of 'the war being fought'
Heard on NPR (Jesse Goldberg, reporter - missed attribution) re Mubarak, the Egyptian press and its influence:

Two most influential (and govt. sponsored) publications are [phonetically guessed sp.] Al-Ah-Ram and Al-Akhbar.

Assertion of reporter is that these Cairo newspapers have massive influence not merely in Egypt, but throughout entire Muslim world. Further assertion: if Hosni Mubarak didn't want 'Holocaust denial' to be the policy of these organs - they would cease saying such..

Al-Ah-Ram's view of the perpetrators of 9/11: a combination of Mossad (Israel CIA) + Branch Davidians. [!!] Reporter states that this is not merely the view of some manipulative few, and that the effective importance of this paper is ~ The New York Times + Ari Fleischer!.

Why such doggerel (he asks and answers): to deflect attention from the failures of the local regime..

Of course this is one 'reporter's' view, one familiar with the milieu by experience and reputation - and just one angle of the kaleidoscope. I don't believe we can "win the argument game" via the kinds of (mere denial + ?) "contradiction", as in the words of our Esteemed Leader and many others of late. Words! are the thermonuclear weapons of *this* war. (Oh - and $ distribution - but that's another library)

We are going to have to become better informed, smarter and - actually clever. We need a modern G\ufffdbbels, in virtuosity! plus some tactics not usually associated with our stomping around the world a la Ugly American / Graham Greene exploits. Our Corporate-owned and increasingly concentrated press sucks universally, our leaders spout platitudes of denial and familiar slogans - and we go on shopping and flag-waving for comfort.

(When is the last time you recall seeing a genuinely philosophical discussion of anything, on main media time and 'sponsorship'?)

Can we adapt, massively? or just.. bomb more and more?

A.
New Re: This might sound tough but ....

At times like these - we have to work out a course of action that is the best we believe we can do in terms of neutralizing threats, then act ...

The propaganda is always a win-lose & lose-win alternating battle - it is *never* likely to be a win-win.

So once a course of action is committed - we have to batten down & go with it - leave it to our side's propaganda machine to score whatever hits & counterpoints they can & we just listen to the good news as long as there is some.

Sympathy for the innocents is very fair but already too many people are forgetting the horror of what was inflicted on the airplane passengers & the innocents on Sept 11th, that started this situation. I know it is little comfort but at least the Afghanistan innocents caught in the accidents in the bombing war, were not intentionally targeted, and despite any propaganda to the contrary that *does* make a difference. It doesn't mean we want it to happen (not like the loud-mouthed protesters in these militant places who call for the murder of *anyone* just because they can be called American.

These protests seem to say - Hey Americans, we can get *muderously* furious at you but if you get angry at any fellow muslims us we will get even madder at you. We really don't need that on our TV screens night after night even if it is occuring. We know the world is full of hostile repressed people & we *don't* have to wear their problems as our fault.

Fact of history is that todays best decisions can always turn into tomorrow's worst choices & this happens because the world is full of such a diverse lot of peoples & ideas that it comes with the turf of being human.

The best any government can do is manage their current choices & deal with each set of consequences that will inevitable come from some of yesterday's choices. The only way I can see the problem diminishing is with the continuing spread of open communications, learning to understand our neibours, promoting world trade such that there are opportunities for people to live in self-respect. But I have no doubt there will always be the lunatic fringe who want to destroy their own deamons by projecting them onto some place like the US.

Cheers

Doug Marker

New Never suggested pacifism (!)
WTC demands *some* action as well as lots else.

Just that: to ignore the necessity of clever rebuttal, language-tailored anti-idiot propaganda - instead concentrating mostly on mere military logistics: is, I believe, to grievously err.

As to an earlier comment you made on the general lines of how (expectedly) loaded are many caricatures of the Taliban, I'd say that - even thus far - there are some rather detailed and compelling illustrations of the 'life of women' under their rule. Enough of these to corroborate.. enough (for me). We have no need to artificially demonize these admins - it comes out of their mouths on Tee Vee interview, as well as via other sources, some veiled for survival.

However well or poorly we manage the propaganda war, AFAI can see, it is irrelevant What 'religion' they claim justifies their atrocious behavior:

We shall owe no apologies for numbers of dead - provably administrators - of such a regime, wherever found in course of next events. Most are not even Afghani, as we have discussed here.

That Hawkish enough?

We could do both that AND see to the tons of food, coming in right behind the tanks - we are *innovative* or at least claim to be. Calling off the war to supply food - does not signify the abandonment of the fed folk to the Taliban admins, just delay. There are only weeks in which to move this food, or be blamed for causing the starvation over the winter..

(Our Propaganda for now and next! Communication.. with various as do not wish to communicate? we can tackle later)

Ashton
New Re: Trouble with the devil is

When ya kill the 1st one, then next one often turns out to be meaner, nastier, dirtier etc: etc:

Afghanistan has a queue of devils lined up to take over after Taliban. 'n before them it was the alliance, then Nazjibullah (sp) then the ruskies. (hmm they seemed nice afterall (grin)).

All I ask now is that noone sends me there to supervise them after this lot go.

I know where I don't belong - Cheers Doug

New Amen.. er salaam, effendi :-\ufffd
I too possess a 'list' containing many more things as are unlikely to work, than - any imaginations of what might 'work' (for our usual definition -- instant solution to 1000 years of ingrained hostility)

As a mammal ancestor observed.. never enter bear's den with honey on hands. Or perhaps, although the Earth is larger than the Moon, it is farther away..

A.
New Your Touchy Feely Bullshit Doesn't Work Any More
New Obviously yours isn't working either.
The trouble with imagining you've got a handle on it all - is that there's no one to go to for counselling, since no one could be as wise as thee. Best find one ready & able to tell you to go fuck yourself; if too nice - you won't hear anything.

A.
That's your last freebie for prof. advice this quarter.
New Hey,
..at least my experience is honest. Is yours?
New Heh.. are you asking
me to say, "Look.. I'm Honest!" ?

Tell me what's wrong with that sentence, smartass.

A.

(And the experience of every bigot and fanatic is also 'honestly theirs')
New Hey, I'm honest.
Honest I am.

Have you ever seen me suck up to anyone?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Nah...
...his experience is all a lie.

Mine too.

We're just deluded.

Thats cool, though...since we're deluded...we muddle about in complete ignorant bliss of our delusion.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New But.. my delusions are nicer than your delusions_________:-\ufffd
New Natch ;)
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New B52s - Love Shack
I got me a bomber that's as big as a whale and it's about to set SAIL!

"Apartment for rent - wall to wall carpet bombed."

Before pic - desert plus rectangles.

After pic - desert minus rectangles.

Boom.
New Re: A dimension of 'the war being fought'
Know who we had last time? One of our own G\ufffdbbels counterparts was one Dr. Geissel. He was a small functionary, making a few documentaries. Better known for his work after the war under the name Dr. Seuss. I hope and pray that others of such caliber will emerge, although two such in consecutive centuries is asking a lot.

One thing we have to remember is the "American" that those people are rejoicing over the death of isn't what you or I are or know, but a fictional demon. On the other hand, the people in those planes, and the people who sent them, had been here and knew exactly what they were killing.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Yes, Dr. Seuss would do!
We might recall though, that by the time counter-Nazi propaganda was seen to be not merely optional (for survival) - Poland was invaded and it was end of 1939. This despite Kristallnacht, Nov. 9, 1938! and all which went before, back to - Hitler's appointment as Chancellor in 1933.

So we had little in opposition (Der Fuehrer's Face, the song - was '42 I believe) in the war of words. Now.. we have these scurrilous characterizations from many quarters, cross-pollinating the message ~~ as, The Big Lie of yesteryear.

We develop some good counters and posters and related, soonest -- or spend many more lives (not too much-) later IMhO.

A.
let's get some funding from that Home Guard place, for Our Propaganda\ufffd - OK? Wanna apply? it's a lot like tech writing :-\ufffd
New The propaganda war has already begun.
The first salvo was launched by an enemy. Not *the* enemy, but their bedfellow, the mouth-foaming left. They're all over the Net and on the news, but oddly, I never run into them in meatspace. I mean never. It's a startling disparity. Is it some kind of astroturf campaign by Noam Chomsky?

I think mostly they're [link|http://www.kuro5hin.org/|indulging in a pseudo-intellectual circle jerk]. But I hear of big demonstrations in Europe and I have to wonder. Maybe we didn't really defeat Nazism/Fascism after all. It seems to have emerged in a new guise.

So we'd best launch a counteroffensive. Just in case. Complacency kills.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New OT: Why do you still post on K5?
Hi Marlowe,

Feel free to ignore this if you want.

I'm a little curious... Why do you still post on K5? You seem to have made many "enemies" (for lack of a better word) there, and you seem very frustrated that your contributions often aren't allowed out of the queue. Why put up with it? Isn't life too short to batter your head against the wall and to carry your spite for your treatment there to other venues?

Is this refusal to be driven away a reflection of your recent post here on "everything is/is becoming political"?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Out of sheer bloody-mindedness.
He who quits loses. That's one thing I've learned from experience. Here's some more: he who quits develops the habit of quitting, and he who makes a habit of quitting makes a habit of losing.

Sometimes telling people off works. Usually it doesn't. But just letting it slide *never* works. What's worse, it encourages the offender. At the least, telling off jackasses helps stem the tide. It's a form of psychological warfare. So until something better comes along, I'm sticking with what sometimes works.

Plus, it's such a big site, and such a total waste. Shouldn't I least try to salvage some value out of it? Kuro5hin is a big cyber-toilet. What are toilets good for? Complete the analogy, and you have... trolling.

Trolling is fun, for the troll, and for any bystanders who happen to have the right sort of a sense of humor. And as for the trollees, the ones there deserve whatever they get. (Before 9/11, my contempt was of a more benign sort. I knew they were appallingly stupid, but I didn't yet know them to be evil.) I'm thinking of branching into sock puppets. I want to develop and try out some characters for, I dunno, maybe a comic strip, or a satirical novel. What better place for it?

And to set the record straight: I've only ever submitted one article in earnest, and it was accepted. Actually, that was kind of a throwaway, too. I'm pissed off over other people's articles being censored off, not mine. I don't even bother to submit because of what I see going on.
New Kind of like this one?
[link|http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/jointchiefs_010501.html|US Military wanted to perform acts of terrorism against US citizens to incite war against Cuba.]
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Good find, Inthane!____"Seven Days in May" redux
Yes, under the guise of a flavor of er 'conservatism' and the demonization of 'liberalism' (once meaning: possession of a reasonably open mind to new ideas) we have spawned the current usage in which neither of these words bears any resemblance to common usage over centuries!

We Muricans have fucked with language all along - spin / marketing is our daily noise background and.. the measure of how little respect we (actually) have for, that proper use of language which alone permits honest communication of any kind. Make certain key words fuzzy, all-inclusive thus meaningless:

You have thus killed one more possibility of being understood, evoking reasonable and fruitful discussion: and instead produced cant, as in most all pseudo-'political' discussions today. Here at IWE, too - too often.

I haven't read this book yet, of course - but I will. And I recall those days and the hysteria, so reminiscent of the just-ended [??] decade of McCarthyism; fucking with words / dehumanizing of those with different ideas. I am neither shocked nor surprised at the possibility that this book is genuine, documented and reflects actual plans of our omnipresent nut-cases in positions of Authority. We so love to lie to ourselves about our proclivities!

Seven Days in May (later a movie with Burt Lancaster magnificently portraying the heavy) captures perfectly the mindset alluded to in this review of, Body of Secrets. It describes a planned military coup against a 'not Tough-enough\ufffd for Us' president, and features many incisive vignettes of "how, often we do things here".

Murica is in no way immune to the tawdry dealings of the hypocritical - which we produce in similar proportions to other societies. Pity we dare not teach our school children about the flip-side of the many glowing attributes we ascribe to "US". This leaves them unprepared to deal *today* with the growing hegemony of Corporate droids whose only allegiance is to themselves - worldwide. Or to next deal sanely with this present situation: in many ways larger a threat to personal freedom than any events since Hitler, Stalin et al.

9/11 may as well bring out the worst in Murican culture as the best, we already see in such utterances from that Admin lackey who advised (already!)

..better Watch what you Say, next.. [!!!]

As Edward R. Murrow said to his cohorts on the eve of his broadcast shaming McCarthy, the proximate final cause of McC's downfall into deserved oblivion - this as they each tried to dredge up from memory.. any past act any had done? which might be used against Murrow = ad hominem when you have no real argument:

Gentlemen, the terror is right here in this room..

Let us not forget Our History -- this time around. I've lived through more of it than most here - and I see quite uncomfortable symptoms already. We have yet to heed Gandhi's remark about Western Civilization..

Ashton
New About Gandhi's remark.
Yes, it was very clever. But in retrospect, it kind of looks like kind a cheap shot. India is the only major democracy where there are routinely casualties at elections. And what do they need that nuke for? And then there's Kashmir.

Okay, those last two are attributable to external aggression. So why aren't they resisting nonviolently?

Today's India is known more for its shantys than for its shantih.

....How's this for satyagraha?
New The contraditions are fair game, I suppose..
But let's not make the same massive error as Pols everywhere here, cannot avoid making hourly:

The Murican Peepul think ____

I have *no idea* what The Indian Peepul think, but they are smart enough not to use that phrase (I think - no telling what modernization has produced)

Gandhi was.. Gandhi - his most powerful 'weapon of influence' (when all other suasion wasn't enough) was simply: to fast towards death. It worked at least twice - both (all) sides with whatever axes to grind, realized that he was an actually indispensable! person if Any side was to exercise influence in a semi-stable and new 'country'.

A nuke wouldn't have been an option for G. IMhO. Are you chiding the present country / rulers - for not having a / acting like a -- Gandhi?

If so - which Great One are We emulating, these days, locally.. ?

(Personally I'd prefer to live amongst relatively sane and peaceful shanties than - in a Titanium office tower with PHBs stalking hallways and arbitrarily screwing with peoples lives hourly - for (just their) fun & profit. If those were the only two choices)

We're fucking well the Biggest and the Baddest kid on the block, but 'wisdom' we're in short supply of - as is India sans Gandhi - and lots of other places run by slogans and spin, chasing more toys than the neighbor has.

A.
New Pacifism is a weapon of conscience
It works.

If the opponent has a conscience.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Even then it's risky.
Witness the massacre at Amritsar.

One biographer (Ashe?) strongly suggested that the Raj et al were in a very bad emotional state because of the World War. Gandhi pushed them too far and they snapped.

Which of course, is no excuse. There can be no excuse. But it is an explanation. And definitely something to keep in mind.

New Chatham Islands: Moriori v. Maoiri
The Brits won the battle but lost the war: India gained freedom. Amritsar was seen as a pivotal event.

A better example would be the [link|http://www.culture.co.nz/moriori/moriori4.htm|Chatham Islands], where 900 Maoiri (New Zealand natives) obliterated the native Moirori of some 2000 individuals. Though of common stock, the two cultures were enemies. And had entirely different cultural responses to conflict.
The story is told in [link|http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/diamond/diamond_p1.html|Jared Diamond]'s [link|http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/06/15/reviews/970615.15shreevt.html|Guns, Germs, and Steel].
[A] ship carrying 500 Maori armed with guns, clubs, and axes arrived [on November 19, 1835, followed by] a shipload of 400 more Maori. Groups of Maori began to walk through Moriori settlements, announcing that th eMoriori were now their slaves, and killing those who objected....[T]he Moriori had a tradition of resolving disputes peacefully...[and] decided in a council meeting not to fight back but to offer peace....

Before the Moriori could deliver that offer, the Maori attacked en masse...[T]hey killed hundreds, ... cooked and ate many of the bodies, and enslaved all the others, killing most...over the next few years....

[Explaining cultural differences, Diamond writes on the environmental impacts on culture.]

Maori tropical crops could not grow in the Chatham's cold climate, and th ecolonists had no alternative except to revert to being hunter-gatherers.....[T]he Chathams are relatively small and remote islands, capable of supporting a total population of only about 2,000 hunter-gatherers. With no other accessible islands to colonize, the Moriori had to remain in the Chathams, and to learn how to get along with each other. They did so by renouncing war, and they reduced potential conflicts from overpopulation by castrating some male infants. The result was a small, unwarlike population....

In contrast, the....Maori who remained in New Zealand [grew to a population of] 100,000.... They developed locally dense populations chronically engated in ferocious wars with neighboring populations.

In this case, according to Diamond, two cultures emerged, one warlike, one not. Conscience wasn't at play. The outcome was inevitable.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Re: The outcome is ...

That the All Blacks have a fearsome reputation as rugby players.

The NZ army is approx 60% maori based & also has a fearsome reputation (the N Viets avoided them like the plague).

NZ whites never actually defeated the Maori tribes in war (the Maoris usually won battles) so by mid 1800s resorted to signing treaties that the whites later ignored & over time took the country by stealth - in recent years much land has been handed back and billions in reparations paid over, because it was so blatant as to how the white take-over was carried out.

The Maoris were comprable in a sense, to the Japanese but about 800 years behind in refining their life style. Both are tribal & warlike. Both treat women like sh**. Maori language is riddled with militaristic terminology due to the constant warfare that made up their lives. In fact most Maoris I knew remembered their own history in terms of tribal alliegences and great battles.

The northern tribe called the Ngati Whatua (sp) are still hated by the Waikato tribes (middle of Nth Island) over a battle fought in the early 1800s where the 1st tribe led by famous chief Te Hongi, used muskets for the 1st time & slaughtered his unprepared tribal enemies. & so on & so on.

The Moriori story is a very sad one.

Cheers

Doug

New Re: I don't want to believe this type of stuff but ....

thank god the civillian leadership did the right thing and turned it down.

It is just too damned awful to believe that anyone would do this to their own people but sadly a lot of muslims believe this is what happened at WTC. Why in the hell would any journalist publish such revelations at a time like this - it can't do anyone any good.

Cheers

Doug Marker

New As to any 'good' it might do
(That is *assuming* that it bears up under scrutiny better than UFOs etc. ...)

We need to know that we are neither more virtuous nor wise than.. most other homo-saps: same old Gaussian. This is *not* the picture portrayed in our classrooms (just as the pictures of Us portrayed in other classrooms possesses its own xenophobic content - we see).

If.. after all, WTC.. the event, proves incapable of shocking *any* reevaluation of a bevy of our assumptions, our policies and - certain actions since WW-II (??) then I believe we shall succumb to terminal fantasies about how the rest of the planet lives. Hasten our demise and likely that of many others.

So I think - by all means do we need to discover that of which we are capable and might.. have done to ourselves (always - "for our own good!" via the perps' rationale). Especially: "at this time".

A.
     A dimension of 'the war being fought' - (Ashton) - (28)
         Re: This might sound tough but .... - (dmarker2) - (12)
             Never suggested pacifism (!) - (Ashton) - (10)
                 Re: Trouble with the devil is - (dmarker2) - (9)
                     Amen.. er salaam, effendi :-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (8)
                         Your Touchy Feely Bullshit Doesn't Work Any More -NT - (deSitter) - (7)
                             Obviously yours isn't working either. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                 Hey, - (deSitter) - (5)
                                     Heh.. are you asking - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Hey, I'm honest. - (marlowe)
                                     Nah... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                         But.. my delusions are nicer than your delusions_________:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             Natch ;) -NT - (bepatient)
             B52s - Love Shack - (deSitter)
         Re: A dimension of 'the war being fought' - (mhuber) - (14)
             Yes, Dr. Seuss would do! - (Ashton) - (13)
                 The propaganda war has already begun. - (marlowe) - (12)
                     OT: Why do you still post on K5? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Out of sheer bloody-mindedness. - (marlowe)
                     Kind of like this one? - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                         Good find, Inthane!____"Seven Days in May" redux - (Ashton) - (6)
                             About Gandhi's remark. - (marlowe) - (5)
                                 The contraditions are fair game, I suppose.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                     Pacifism is a weapon of conscience - (kmself) - (3)
                                         Even then it's risky. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                             Chatham Islands: Moriori v. Maoiri - (kmself) - (1)
                                                 Re: The outcome is ... - (dmarker2)
                         Re: I don't want to believe this type of stuff but .... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                             As to any 'good' it might do - (Ashton)

You getting this down?
136 ms