Our Sunday School class adopted a family, gave $100 per child in clothes and gifts, and $250 in grocery gift certificates, plus an additional $100 in cash.

The father had fallen ill, lost his job, and the family was really struggling.

A friend of mine works at the downtown shelter in Frisco, TX (just north of Dallas, TX), and she remarked at church the other day that in the past year, they have seen a number of former "white collar" families show up for assistance.

This has been a hard year for techies. Some, like Todd and Ross, have been out of work for months, and others have taken pay cuts and adjusted our standard of living downward. My wife and I are spending less this year on each other than we have in probably 10 years. Just a small gift and some clothes. My wife and I actually had a tiff because I wanted to give more for the poor family and she said she "we don't have it" this year.

This could change the political landscape in 2004, as people who have traditionally been Republican (like me), seriously consider voting the other way. As much as GWB wants his occupations in Afghanistan and Iraq (and lots of money to fund them), there are lots of people and institutions with some serious needs here at home. We are educating our kids poorly, and in 10 years we'll be defaulting on Social Security, unless major funds are kept at home.

The big guys have done a lousy job of negotiating with nations like China, where they want to "fix" their currency to ensure that their imports will always be "cheap" relative to the dollar. I'm sorry, but if you can't let your currency float (and rise), we can't trade with you.

So, Todd and Ross, my best to you and may 2004 be a MUCH better year.

Glen Austin