New Why the hell...
...aren't you running Linux, Ash?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Prefer Wallace & Gromit fun____;-)
{sigh}
Hey.. had my best efforts to dejunk 98 proved futile.. I'd have had no choice, 2 years ago and with the then state/art of maybe-installs amongst the unwashed.
(Though when that G-4 showed up last year..)

Similar reasons for not even attempting to grok W2K Server (with its NT-core, myriad of services, many to be stopped; infinitely non-synergistic nested menus - with an illogic only Billy's droids could invent). In that case too, the early question "..and if I grok this fully - of what future Use shall it avail moi?" answered itself.

In fact I do boot Knoppix periodically, absorb a bit more arcanery, when in a masochistic mood. It IS impressive. Will follow with periodic interest, a friend's adventures with a recent Mandrake distro (noting if/when he drops the training wheels and becomes Debianized: the clear Mensch-model of logical niceness and, I'm betting - longevity of org ;-)

Hey.. he's got networking pretty much working, despite many blank spots in the Why department: Good Sign. (In fact - I used Knoppix to ID some stuff in this Dell, which Doze weaseled on, with familiar refrain, Unknown Device cha cha cha.)

I know it sounds dumbthish, not to go with the Obv. superior mode - but, for *your* mien and also daily bread earner: the arcanery remains still er fascinating - thus you don't even notice the vastness of material you have adsorbed, in order to reach your max typing-speed, at the cli. I OTOH merely toyed with assembly language.. and rarely from fascination.
(But I have done that trip several times, only just not ever \ufffd-related. My enthusiasms lie elsewhere.)

Ex: just acquired a couple specimens of a v-fast pulse generator (Tek 284) made in '70s and using a rather hi-current [24 mA] TD (tunnel diode: today pure Unobtainium, as the fabs no longer exist). It does mind-numbing clever things.. both in the mechanical layout incorporating a small waveguide, and in the use of reflections (VSWR) to synergistically steepen the Risetime: to under 70 PICOseconds! Software is .. well .. Different, y'know?

Look: *nix is no less complex in the guts than Doze, just smarter, more stable, more logical to pursue to its roots: all while nicely open to the inquisitive.

I'll likely settle for some Pro install magic [now if.. I owned this Dell box], help with certain choices - and cookbook the weekly ap-get (so many useful switches, there) for maintenance.

When I have all the few functions I need, minimal or 0 networking: Then! I shall be elated to finally crush the Billyboxen, ceremoniously immolating same with a few hydrocarbons added. With pix against the night sky / full moon.

Maybe with remote monitor and the sucker 'running': note at what temp it blue-screens < blank. Get a Reporter over, put it in the local Kenwood Gazette. (They run Apple, there.. ;-)

HTH to explain that quality often called *reluctance* (or sloth)

Ashton
Gooo ---> Debian;
Me watch a bit more
     Ridding a Dell 4400 of XP.. - (Ashton) - (14)
         Getting rid of XP and using Linux - (orion) - (2)
             Thanks, - (Ashton) - (1)
                 You are welcome - (orion)
         Re: Ridding a Dell 4400 of XP.. - (deSitter) - (2)
             Nothing to see... - (Another Scott)
             Umm: new HD - (Ashton)
         XP might be bad... - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Re: XP might be bad... - (deSitter) - (2)
                 XP is fine in 128MB - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Turning off unneeded services in XP - (orion)
             In eye of beholder. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Why the hell... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Prefer Wallace & Gromit fun____;-) - (Ashton)
         Mission accomplished. - (Ashton)

If it's baroque, don't fix it.
70 ms