IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IBM to move 4,700 high-paying jobs overseas

IBM Corp. plans to move up to several thousand skilled software jobs from the United States to India, China and other countries, which could amount to one of the biggest such actions yet in the technology industry.

IBM documents obtained by The Wall Street Journal said about 4,700 programming jobs could be shifted overseas to save costs, a growing high-tech industry trend known as "offshoring."

More than 900 people are already scheduled to be told of the move in the first half of 2004, while another 3,700 jobs have been identified as having the "potential to move offshore," the Journal said. IBM already has hired 500 engineers in India to take on some of the work that will be moved, the Journal reported.

[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2297793|source]
lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New So anyone here ready to move to Bombay for a highpaying gig?
We in the industry have taken cross country moves in stride and in the case of a few cross Atlantic moves for a gig. So if the cost of living was equal, that a low paying job there could buy the goodies that a high paying job here would, who would move?
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New A lot of people can't.
One thing holding them down:

Student loans.
I have a blue sign on my door. It says "If this sign is red, you're moving too fast."
New Cost of living maybe...
But the quality of living in India sucks, according to people here who used to live there.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New tell the wife she gets a maid, a babysitter
and you get them too :-)
Depends on your definition of quality. Buy your own grub, beat the servants weekly and stay away from the native women. Drink lots of T&T to ward off the malaria and you'll be fine.
thanks,
Bill
stick a spork in it.

New There's also...
the crowding, the arsenic in the wells, the thuggery, the corruption, the husband stealing, the dowry killings, etc...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New not in the pukka sahib enclaves
stick a spork in it.

New Sure, sign me up

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
     IBM to move 4,700 high-paying jobs overseas - (lincoln) - (7)
         So anyone here ready to move to Bombay for a highpaying gig? - (boxley) - (6)
             A lot of people can't. - (inthane-chan)
             Cost of living maybe... - (admin) - (3)
                 tell the wife she gets a maid, a babysitter - (boxley) - (2)
                     There's also... - (admin) - (1)
                         not in the pukka sahib enclaves -NT - (boxley)
             Sure, sign me up -NT - (tuberculosis)

Why do you ask me? You know I cannot do this thing anymore with the bugs.
81 ms