IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Usenet is a whole 'nother protocol
like http (for the web), smtp/pop (for mail), etc. It's called nntp (network news transport protocol). Basically, it's an online bulletin board system somewhat similar to email, except that instead of being one-to-one like email is, it's one-to-many: when you post to usenet, anyone in the world can read what you've written, and reply to it. Discussions are threaded (which means that you can see the 'thread' of the conversation as in 'who replied to whom') and for the most part there is NO moderation of any kind.

To find a web interface to usenet: [link|http://groups.google.com|http://groups.google.com].
Here's a link that will point your news reader (if you have any installed... outlook will work but is a crappy news reader) to a server I know you can read (I know it because I run it... but while anyone can read from my server you have to get a userid/password to be able to post to it):

nntp://news.consultron.ca (you'll have to cut'n'paste these into your browser: Scott, for some reason the forum software doesn't recognise the nttp protocol properly).

My news server has some usenet groups (that is, groups that are propagated worldwide), some local groups (groups that only exist on my server), and some private groups from various other news servers. The unifying theme of my server is OS/2 and programming. Here's a couple of groups:

nntp://news.consultron.ca/comp.os.os2.advocacy - pretty bad
nntp://news.consultron.ca/comp.lang.c - can be bad, devoted to the C programming language.
nntp://news.consultron.ca/ecomstation.misc - pretty polite, devoted to the eComStation distribution of OS/2 Warp.

In the worldwide usenet feed, there are tens of thousands of groups, ranging from the saccharine (alt.fan.barney), to the technical (comp.lang.* - groups devoted to programming languages), to the musical (alt.binaries.mp3.*) to the obscene (alt.binaries.pictures.erotica), to the downright morbid and grotesque (alt.fan.karla.homolka). Usenet is read daily by millions and is accessible to billions of people, because it's well suited to low bandwidth environments, such as may be found in many third world countries (where that flash animation that loads in seconds in north america may take half an hour or even half a day to download).

It's an interesting place, and well worth checking out... if you really want to know what the average man-in-the-street-in-Islamabad thinks, usenet is the place to find out... it's just a matter of finding the right newsgroup so you can engage them in conversation.

There is a LOT more to the Internet than just email and the web.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Ah... that was what I forgot!
...Basically, it's an online bulletin board system somewhat similar to email, except that instead of being one-to-one like email is, it's one-to-many: when you post to usenet, anyone in the world can read what you've written, and reply to it....

Aha, and that's what I remember now. I never got on usenet, (and won't) because of that, I don't WANT to be found by everyone, in partcicular, a few specifics. So I've been very discriminate and careful about where I play online.

I don't think I have a news reader... unless it's adobe? I don't use Outlook.
It's an interesting place, and well worth checking out... if you really want to know what the average man-in-the-street-in-Islamabad thinks, usenet is the place to find out... it's just a matter of finding the right newsgroup so you can engage them in conversation.

I dunno, I don't really care to expand my interaction on the web much, hopefully my first paragraph explained that, but thanks for the information.

There is a LOT more to the Internet than just email and the web.

Well my Yahoo groups, this site and a couple others, internet mail and internet "fishing" ability suit me just fine, for the most part. I'm not a big "internet" person, I'm more selective.

Interesting post, thanks Jake.

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
     You are completely unbelievable.... - (Nightowl) - (75)
         Re: You are completely unbelievable.... - (deSitter) - (63)
             He'll never join here. - (Nightowl)
             How did people every survive Usenet? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (61)
                 Not to put too fine a point on it - (jake123) - (5)
                     But this wasn't about the internet. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                         I wasn't talking about Ross wanting to meet you - (jake123) - (1)
                             Ah, well in that case - (Nightowl)
                         Owlsworth Toohey - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Well then - (Nightowl)
                 Survival of the fittest. - (Andrew Grygus) - (48)
                     Re: Survival of the fittest. - (deSitter) - (4)
                         You never heard of DejaNews ??? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Google's got a lot of stuff you may have missed. - (Another Scott)
                             Re: You never heard of DejaNews ??? - (Nightowl)
                         Yes it is - (orion)
                     Not entirely true - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         Yikes.... - (Nightowl) - (3)
                             Actually, Affinity was nowhere near Usenet - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Re: Actually, Affinity was nowhere near Usenet - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                     Usenet style flameage - (jake123)
                     Well, I survived some of the worst... - (Nightowl) - (37)
                         (well, the FQ is a separate moral universe) - (rcareaga) - (10)
                             Well... - (Nightowl)
                             Driving off a BBS - (orion) - (8)
                                 No one wanted to "drive you off" - (Silverlock) - (6)
                                     It continued - (orion) - (5)
                                         the sorrows of young norman - (rcareaga) - (4)
                                             Well...for anyone who knows... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 Every Brain needs a Pinky - (orion)
                                             Rand for Tyrant in 2004! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Thanks, I think - (orion)
                                 Good explanation, Norman! - (Nightowl)
                         Wrong scale - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             that second link is to an idiot - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Re: that second link is to an idiot - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     ObLRPD: Where'd I put my tinfoil hat...? -NT - (jake123)
                         Brace yourself men! It's another OWL shitstorm! - (deSitter) - (21)
                             [A]bort, [R]etry, [I]gnore? -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 init 0 -NT - (deSitter)
                             Sorry DeSitter, you're wrong. - (Nightowl) - (18)
                                 Re: Sorry DeSitter, you're wrong. - (deSitter) - (9)
                                     It was not a threat -- I edited it to say online - (Nightowl) - (8)
                                         Re: It was not a threat. - (deSitter) - (7)
                                             This is laughable.. - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                 Re: This is laughable.. (new thread) - (deSitter)
                                                 Time to apply a clue by four - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                     It works both ways - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                         Is this the part.. - (bepatient)
                                                 In case anybody is questioning why.... - (Nightowl)
                                             oh, come now... - (rcareaga)
                                 inquiring minds guano know - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                     You don't really want to know, do you? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                         "none shall pass" - (rcareaga) - (4)
                                             I love that! - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                 Shuh-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH !!! -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                     yes, it is well that the owl flies low - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                         I believe... - (folkert)
                                     Re: inquiring minds guano know - (deSitter)
                 Re: How did people every survive Usenet? - (Nightowl) - (5)
                     Consider the milieu being reacted -->|<-- against: - (Ashton)
                     If you don't know, then Google for it. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Re: If you don't know, then Google for it. - (Nightowl)
                     Usenet is a whole 'nother protocol - (jake123) - (1)
                         Ah... that was what I forgot! - (Nightowl)
         It's the water - it's got to be the water -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
             Re: It's the water - it's got to be the water - (Nightowl)
             You're confusing bad beers - (rcareaga) - (7)
                 Re: You're confusing bad beers - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Try another one - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Actually... - (bepatient)
                     OT: Is Stroh's still around? (new thread) - (lincoln)
                 That was "Rainier" beer. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     AWESOME SIG, Thane! -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                         Thanks. - (inthane-chan)
             Or the Mississippi mud in it. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

The kids should've been walking to school with EMP lunchboxes.
90 ms