IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That might be doable
The state of the art a few years ago was that Win32::OLE could be used to access COM interfaces, but couldn't be used to publish them. To publish them you had to buy an extension from ActiveState. So if you just need to use a COM interface that someone else has exposed (eg to drive Excel), then you are fine. If you want to create your own, that is a different story.

That may have changed since then. I would ask on Perlmonks to find out if it has.

If it hasn't, then your first problem is figuring out which product you have to buy from ActiveState to get the COM interface in Perl. And then when you get it, you may find it unmaintained for lack of interest...

My understanding (confirmed by google) is that the situation in Python is [link|http://www.python.org/windows/win32com/COMTutorial/index.htm|much better].

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Further reading shows much worse
This particular environmnets (SQL Server / DTS) demands C++ according to the evil docs. While MS docs usually lie, I'm not feeling very adventuresome. I'll shell out to external Perl code to deal with flat files.
New VB works well doing this.
It's been a while, but I have done several.
bcnu,
Mikem

Java, Junk. Both start with a "J", both have four letters. Coincidence? I think not.
New IIRC SQL Server can export to a VB Module
which will generate the tables, etc for DTS. Been a while since I used it, but I do remember doing just that at my last job. I also remember having to edit the modules because they had bugs in them that the DTS function created. SQL Server 2000 did this, not sure about earlier versions.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New My past experience
At my last job we used a lot of DTS packages that we created by hand and were run as an object within our VB programs. One thing that we found out the hard way was, if a DTS package failed, the package would not return a failure message - it just sent back a integer zero, (or whatever it was) that signified everything executed perfectly.
lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Re: VB works well doing this.
It's likely that all MS compilers have the same sticky, doughy internals, and that the syntax is only a thin sugary crust.
-drl
New VB.NET is sort of like Visual C++ now
they got rid of Gotos and Gosubs, and made a try/catch method of debugging. Just remove the semicolons, rewrite the code a bit, and you can convert from C++ to VB.NET without too much of a hassle.

VB 6.0 is a totally different matter. :)

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Home made DTS objects in SQL/Server - (broomberg) - (11)
         You mean MTS objects? - (deSitter) - (10)
             DTS = Data Transformation Services - (altmann) - (9)
                 ok, my bad thought that was "distrib transact" -NT - (deSitter)
                 Thanks - (broomberg) - (7)
                     That might be doable - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Further reading shows much worse - (broomberg) - (5)
                             VB works well doing this. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 IIRC SQL Server can export to a VB Module - (orion) - (1)
                                     My past experience - (lincoln)
                                 Re: VB works well doing this. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     VB.NET is sort of like Visual C++ now - (orion)

Why not just name him Hitler B. Evil?
82 ms