IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Shared memory issues on HPUX 11 and 8400 cluster, oracle 8.7
We have 400 megabytes of allocated shared memory, when we stop the applications and databases and restart, the shared memory gets used very quickly. When we stop the apps and databases we clean out the shared mem segments by hand that are not released. I think after a while you need to reboot and have the kernel reset itself. Others here think using the IPC commands and crafting stuff by hand works. It does for a while in my view but a fresh start is required every now and again. Thoughts comments?
thanks,
Bill
"We must face the fact that there is not a single country in the world that measures up to the lofty moral and social standards that are the hallmark of the U.S.A.: even Canada is delinquent and deserves a whiff of grape. There is not a single country in the world which, like the U.S., reeks of democracy and "human rights," and is free of crime and murder and hate thoughts and undemocratic deeds\ufffd. And so, since no other countries shape up to U.S. standards, \ufffd I make a Modest Proposal for the only possible consistent and coherent foreign policy: the U.S. must, very soon, Invade the Entire World!" Murray N. Rothbard

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Actually...
HPUX could use a clean restart periodically. Once a month was a good measure when I used HP-UX 9.04 and 10.0-10.1.

But, I think more of you problem is the programs tendancy to not release memory properly.

Scripts work great for regularly cleaned out stuff. How big is the machine and would it be faster to reboot.

Case in point: Some BIG machines take 1 hour or more to reboot properly... Does clearing by hand take that long?

Either way, is good enough for HPUX. Actually good enough for *NIX in general (except SCO's crap, reboot is best for the shiite they push)

To me, it is a matter of which method works the fastest.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Clearly designed to be used by faery maidens with a feather touch, rather than a six foot three engineer in a pair of size 13 steelies.
     Shared memory issues on HPUX 11 and 8400 cluster, oracle 8.7 - (boxley) - (1)
         Actually... - (folkert)

This random post brought to you by the letters A, Q, and Peter.
32 ms