IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Agreed
10.1 rocks big-time. On the release date, I swung by my local CompUSA to see what was happening and found the Mac section with more people in it than I had ever seen before. They had run out of the boxed sets of OS X and the rep was frantically burning free 10.1 update CDs for anyone who cared to have one.

I hung out a while, helped out a Wintel user who was trying to network his PC and his iMac, bought a couple of X-ready games (Alice and Tomb Raider Chronicles), snagged my CD and left.

Upgraded my tower when I got home and tried the DVD player. Rock-solid and smooth as silk, even when playing a couple of Quicktimes and running other apps. It didn't skip a beat.

The performance increase is very apparent. My WallStreet 250 was barely useable under 10.0.4 and now with 10.1 is quite snappy. My dual G4 Tower, on the other hand, was zippy under 10.0.4 and with 10.1 is amazing.

Both machines have been rock-solid stable under X, which to me has been the greatest benefit of this OS.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New See, I told you so... :-)
I think a lot of people missed the point of my original post however... which is, if you get the chance to try it, do... for us that are running it, well... you know.

OS/X is nix to the core. It runs commercial apps that Linux can't touch (if you want them - they are there -that's all I'm saying :-P)... There is a bevy of ported freeware from BSD (TeXShop is a beautiful example) land. It has installation routines that pass the "mom" test (unlike tar -xvf, etc...). The graphics are outstanding (display postscript gives a sharp image - good for older farts like me), it has been stable as hell, it runs extremely well on my G4 400Mhz (not exactly a raw processing speed demon) and available out outlets for <$1000. So just what am I saying?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... (only from Apple)...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
     At the risk of sounding really juvenile... - (screamer) - (15)
         I'll stick with Linux myself - (orion) - (11)
             Never happen - (pwhysall) - (10)
                 OSX on WINTEL - (orion) - (2)
                     Well, if you want "Darwin" - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Re: Well, if you want "Darwin" - (orion)
                 Which is why it will fail. - (addison) - (6)
                     Same thing happened with Be - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                         He didn't get creamed - (kmself) - (1)
                             Thanks for comic *relief*. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Same thing happened with NeXT - (orion) - (2)
                             Re: Reg - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 At least, not yet - (orion)
         Don't have 10.1 yet - (Meerkat)
         Agreed - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             See, I told you so... :-) - (screamer)

It's rare that you see crazy outdo crazy so effortlessly.
86 ms