IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Remember 'NI-3' - Iodine xtals + ammon. hydroxide?
New Re: Remember 'NI-3' - Iodine xtals + ammon. hydroxide?
Of course I do - that's a staple.

I knew a guy who decided to make silver fulminate, which has similar properties (safe wet, very touchy when dry). Set up his equipment, but he needed silver, so he tossed in a handfull of dimes (for you young-uns, dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars were once made of silver, not nickle clad copper). What he forgot was that the silver in dimes was alloyed with copper for durability. Copper fulminate doesn't wait to dry out. His gear disappeared without trace.

I also heard of the college professor in Salt Lake who tried making nitroglycerine. It didn't work. Even hitting a drop with a hammer had no effect, so he put it in a jar and stashed it in his dresser drawer. A month later, in the middle of the night, it went sour and turned his dresser into toothpicks.

All was not chemicals, however. Another that happened at the U of Utah was a physics professor who built a gonzo capacitor tree. These were the favorite of we who were not fulfilled by the sparks from Van de Graff generators and Tesla coils (capacitor banks were later used to fire satelite killer lasers). The capacitor bank works by charging a huge bank of large capacitors in parallel to their full capacity, then closing a spark gap on the first two. A chain of spark gaps hooks all the capacitors in series. The difference between a capacitor bank and a Van de Graff is ENERGY!

The professor demoed the unit on his lecture bench. Unfortunately, his top spark gap was wider than the distance from one pole to the fire main just above the accoustic ceiling, resulting in significant repair costs for the school and a change to dry cloths.

One of my own favorites was in a summer school science class between Jr. High and High School (this was post Sputnik so anyone who could pass an IQ test was being railroaded into science by the schools). I chose "gnerating hydrogen" as my first "experiment". This was something I was already quite familiar with, since filling balloons with hydrogen and sending them drifting over Burbank with slow fuses attached was one of my favorite entertainments.

I didn't like the shape of gas generating bottles so I chose a stylish Erlenmeyer flask, and I was quite fond of thistle tubes which were more interesting than plain old funnels, so that's what I built my gas generator with.

Then I got some aluminum foil and sodium hydroxide and was about to start the experiment when the teacher saw what I was doing. He was distressed, and told me aluminum foil and lye was much too dangerous and I had to do it by the book with mossy zinc and sulphuric acid. So I got mossy zinc and concentrated sulphuric acid from the stockroom.

What I didn't know was that I should have used dilute sulphuric acid becaue the reaction is very slow with concnetrated, but hey, concentrated is better, right? Who'd want dilute?

My experiment partner, Alan Stock, was ready to light off the delivery tube with a match to finish the experiment. "Stop!" I said. This is going real slow, there's probably still oxygen in the flask.

Eventually told him, "it's got to be ready by now, light it off". I stood there staring at a completely clean and empty lab bench. Then the head of a thistle tube bounced on it.

Interestingly, Alan got a small cut on his elbow, and there was glass throughout the room, but I, standing right over it, was untouched by either glass or acid. Amazing.

Unfortunately, my main experiment in High School chemistry was interrupted by the teacher being spotted coming down the hall. I had the oxygen bottle hooked to the gas lines and was blowing oxygen back into the lines expecting it to get to the bunsen burners in the lab dowstairs. Ah well.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Akshully: NI-3 and IN-3, the black trigger 'scab' :-\ufffd
Makes the idea 'Debian Unstable' kinda laughable)(

Yup - that's the kind of stuff, alright..
Difference - my HS chem teach *Helped* !!

Sodium metal cut up into small chunks (under kerosene) - in bottle. In field. Rubber tube with funnel. Add water: watch white cloud slowly move across field.

No luck with the nitro (either). We at least realized that you either make very tiny qty (improbable) OR the whole hog + postage:

Fuming Sulfuric (Usual conc., but saturated with SO3). Hard to get and transport. Similar re the Nitroso- HNO3 - and Cooling Coils! to moderate the action. You just Can't get this (and the lore) together with any semblance of an excuse of saving lab, student + teacher-job.. y'know? (Which is why I hardly ever believe the "I made nitro" stories.)

And when I finally landed a summer+ job at Atlas Powder (not in Nitrating house) and first approached a loaded Angel Buggy .. an all-wood cart, squarish box (lined with ?), canvas hose with wooden pinch-cock: and realized fully the contained ENERGY, 'twas a Boom-geek's satori. Imagine *gallons* !!

Watching as the nitro was added to the mixer (for mere dynamite, Gelodyne IIRC) - through a plastic window. .. .. .. I could see it
SPLASHING !!!

over the powder already in the drum. Only the knowledge/faith? that this was routine.. routine.. routine..
kept the feets from sprint mode.

I attribute continued existence to:
A small tract some sharp (Insurance Co? - gotta see if I can find that) author assembled. Aptly titled, Challenge to Maturity it described some young .. alas-not-ept .. kiddies of similar bent, and a pipe bomb. Which exploded as the cap was screwed on. The carnage described delicately, incl. the relatively undamaged body of one miscreant - at the hospital. Until - -

they noted a red stain appearing on his side.. Bummer.

(I had never been reckless, in any case - but this did remind about overconfidence. Still, in the end, Luck is ever present. As with the phosgene generator. Or not. ;-)

Fulminates. Lead azide - Ah.. and I still have a couple pill bottles with various colorful yellow picrates, which time has proven to be - stable enough. What to do with the small sealed-in-glass bit of Rubidium metal? - and never forget the wondrous things you can do with a roll of thin Mg tape - either 'neat' or in combo. Entropy: there's the Thing.

{{cackle}} In the Lawyer Kultur - I suspect that our varied experiences shall be granted unto only a miniscule few of today's crop; maybe just as well - so many can't even add - let alone balance chem equations. What's in a MOL?

Ashton
Still regret letting someone have my Davis, [link|http://james-bond.cebru.com/books/P000gm8ggf9ngh/The_Chemistry_of_Powder_and_Explosives/| Chemistry of Powder and Explosives] :( in exchange for making a Ti part for my motorsickle.
New What, no chlorosulphonic acid?
Reacts with water to form both sulfuric and hydrochloric acids. [link|http://www.dmcc.com/chlorosulphonicacid1.html|Link].

IIRC, I used it in organic chemistry lab in high school to make some red dye.

And also in that Chem lab was [link|http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/p1/picricac.asp|picric acid], a nice yellow dye. Also known as 2,4,6-trinitrophenol, C6H2(NO2)3OH, and a cousin to trinitrotoluene (TNT). Yep, it's an explosive. Talk about a "dual use" material.

It's incredible now to think high school students had access to this stuff.
Alex

"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves." -- Eric Hoffer
     How geeky are YOU? - (pwhysall) - (57)
         total geek but section2 question1 - (boxley) - (1)
             Just a geek, 20+. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Egads... I didn't think I was *that* bad... - (folkert)
         29.5858 - (drewk)
         The fact that I rushed to take this test - (tjsinclair)
         Unfair - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
             Were you a chemistry geek? - (deSitter) - (6)
                 Re: Were you a chemistry geek? - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     righteous! -NT - (deSitter)
                     Remember 'NI-3' - Iodine xtals + ammon. hydroxide? -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Re: Remember 'NI-3' - Iodine xtals + ammon. hydroxide? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             Akshully: NI-3 and IN-3, the black trigger 'scab' :-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 What, no chlorosulphonic acid? - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: How geeky are YOU? - (Nightowl) - (5)
             You LOSE points for vi - (jb4) - (4)
                 I raise the "Whatchyoo talkin bout, Willis" flag - (drewk) - (3)
                     SLID3 R00LZ! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                         don' you mean - (jb4)
                     Point taken....**chuckle** -NT - (jb4)
         Re: How geeky are YOU? - (Yendor) - (1)
             Only 15% -NT - (pwhysall)
         Interesting HP Calc - (deSitter) - (3)
             Not to mention ... - (drewk) - (1)
                 Re: Not to mention ... - (deSitter)
             Holy HP-65-on-steroids - (Ashton)
         24.65483% - Geek. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Only 38%, major geek - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Quite true; also the opposite (17.55424% - Geek) - (FuManChu)
         32.92505% - Total Geek -NT - (jake123)
         65.8771% Geek God - (orion)
         43,3925% - Major Geek -NT - (Steve Lowe)
         As Geeks, you guys should certainly know . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             We're all very precisely geeky. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 That may be, but I notice our mathematician . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     I win - (deSitter)
         Server back up - (tuberculosis)
         39.64497% -- Major Geek -NT - (tangaroa)
         Super Geek Super Geek Super Geeky AWWWW! - (gdaustin) - (4)
             There were questions I couldn't answer. - (static)
             oops... - (Nightowl)
             I can think of a lot more... - (Nightowl)
             Well, THAT would've bumped me up a bit. - (FuManChu)
         48.52071% - Super Geek -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Y'all are (mostly) rank amateurs. - (admin) - (12)
             Which way should we face before bowing? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Michi, of course. -NT - (admin)
             I prostrate myself before the Sporkidude! -NT - (Another Scott)
             I have to admit I was caught in a dilemma - (FuManChu) - (1)
                 Note: - (admin)
             You are slightly north of east from me... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 May the Holy... - (admin) - (5)
                     Are you planning on doing the splits? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         Oh no, you're mistaken. - (admin) - (3)
                             But . . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             No, the mistake is all yours - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Miracles heed no legal boundaries. -NT - (admin)
         Not very. 18.14596% - Geek. -NT - (n3jja)

We try not to be amazed at morons.
360 ms