IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New At the risk of sounding really juvenile...
OS X.1 rocks. It is now my favorite OS hands down. I know that may po some of this crowd, but if you don't have a Mac available, go to the store. This is BSD, this is Mac, this is RISC... This is integration, ease of use, etc... etc... etc...

Just my $.02
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietshe

"Nietsche is dead"
God

"Nietsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New I'll stick with Linux myself
KDE and Gnome appear to do me fine for a GUI. I've never used OSX yet, but from what I have seen it does not appear to be that impresive.

Out of couriosity I almost bought a Grape iMac, but the owner of that iMac kept raising the price of it until I was not able to afford it. I instead used the money to upgrade my PC Systems.

I don't really think that it is worth the cost of buying a Mac, and I hope that one day they port it to the WINTEL Platform and make the whole OS 100% Open Source and not just part of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Never happen
"...don't really think that it is worth the cost of buying a Mac, and I hope that one day they port it to the WINTEL Platform and make the whole OS 100% Open Source and not just part of it..."

The *whole point* of OS X is that it runs on Apple hardware.

Apple porting OS X to x86 would be their last move. There's no money in software, unless you're Microsoft.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New OSX on WINTEL
Yes I suppose that is the whole point, they want to limit it to Macintosh hardware. Darwin is there to appease those who want OSX on WINTEL, just run the skeleton of OSX named Darwin sans the fancy GUI and other stuff.

But should I run Darwin over Linux? What can Darwin give me that Linux cannot?

Will the Mac Clones ever come back? :)

New Well, if you want "Darwin"
You might as well run a *BSD. For general desktop use, I'd recommend FreeBSD.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Re: Well, if you want "Darwin"
Ah but what is the avantage of running Darwin if any? A modified MACH Kernel? Elite Modifications that can make the PC do backflips? A nice little Apple Logo in the X-Application windows? ;)

What would make me want to run "Darwin" over Linux or *BSD?

Can I run Darwin on a 486 or a 80Mhz 6X86 Cyrix box?

New Which is why it will fail.
Which is too bad. I'd like to see it, personally.

But the point is that it takes cash to Apple to run it. I think there might be a market in the x86 world, if it rocks as hard as people say it does.

The hardware is slightly secondary - but you're right. Apple's so fixated on selling hardware (second only to screwing over those with memory -not RAM - problems :)) that they'll never port it.

Addison

New Same thing happened with Be
Gassee thought he could sneak a desktop OS (a rocking one, if memory serves me correctly) into Gate's playground. He got creamed.

Frankly, at this point any commercial vendor would be nuts to port a desktop OS to x86 hardware. (Linux doesn't count, as it isn't a single commercial entity and falls outside of the usual MS competitive gunsights.)

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New He didn't get creamed
He got a Palm job.

/me ducks
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Thanks for comic *relief*.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Same thing happened with NeXT
Remember the Intel version of NeXTStep? Even SCO Unix outsold it. ;)

The only X86 OS that has a prayer of beating MS is Linux, after that maybe *BSD. But Linux seems to be more popular.

P.S. I tried to download the 280M Darwin ISO image but I cannot get a complete download. Apple requires you to register with their "database" so that you comply with their open source license. Isn't this just a way to get a list of "potential" customers?

New Re: Reg
>Isn't this just a way to get a list of "potential" customers?

Nah, they don't do much of anything with the info except send you the weekly developer newsletter email. Just fill it in.
New At least, not yet
but if they do anything more than the ocuasional newsletter, then they are no better than the rest of the companies.

New Don't have 10.1 yet
Gotta find my receipt for the iBook first :) But I'm plodding along on 10.0.4 well enough for the time being... the spinning rainbow 'please wait' cursor is my friend... <Meerkat stifles a yawn>
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Agreed
10.1 rocks big-time. On the release date, I swung by my local CompUSA to see what was happening and found the Mac section with more people in it than I had ever seen before. They had run out of the boxed sets of OS X and the rep was frantically burning free 10.1 update CDs for anyone who cared to have one.

I hung out a while, helped out a Wintel user who was trying to network his PC and his iMac, bought a couple of X-ready games (Alice and Tomb Raider Chronicles), snagged my CD and left.

Upgraded my tower when I got home and tried the DVD player. Rock-solid and smooth as silk, even when playing a couple of Quicktimes and running other apps. It didn't skip a beat.

The performance increase is very apparent. My WallStreet 250 was barely useable under 10.0.4 and now with 10.1 is quite snappy. My dual G4 Tower, on the other hand, was zippy under 10.0.4 and with 10.1 is amazing.

Both machines have been rock-solid stable under X, which to me has been the greatest benefit of this OS.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New See, I told you so... :-)
I think a lot of people missed the point of my original post however... which is, if you get the chance to try it, do... for us that are running it, well... you know.

OS/X is nix to the core. It runs commercial apps that Linux can't touch (if you want them - they are there -that's all I'm saying :-P)... There is a bevy of ported freeware from BSD (TeXShop is a beautiful example) land. It has installation routines that pass the "mom" test (unlike tar -xvf, etc...). The graphics are outstanding (display postscript gives a sharp image - good for older farts like me), it has been stable as hell, it runs extremely well on my G4 400Mhz (not exactly a raw processing speed demon) and available out outlets for <$1000. So just what am I saying?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss... (only from Apple)...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
     At the risk of sounding really juvenile... - (screamer) - (15)
         I'll stick with Linux myself - (orion) - (11)
             Never happen - (pwhysall) - (10)
                 OSX on WINTEL - (orion) - (2)
                     Well, if you want "Darwin" - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Re: Well, if you want "Darwin" - (orion)
                 Which is why it will fail. - (addison) - (6)
                     Same thing happened with Be - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                         He didn't get creamed - (kmself) - (1)
                             Thanks for comic *relief*. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Same thing happened with NeXT - (orion) - (2)
                             Re: Reg - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 At least, not yet - (orion)
         Don't have 10.1 yet - (Meerkat)
         Agreed - (tjsinclair) - (1)
             See, I told you so... :-) - (screamer)

Her patriotism is as genuine as her hair color.
105 ms