IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dependancy / trust
Just like my rant on lost trust.

You come to depend on it, you trust it will be there, it will just work, and then:
BAM!

You are screwed. People won't listen to you. They pretend to fix things.

Wanna get a fix in the future?

Track down the director level department heads at the company. People who compete with each other. Also, straight up the line to whoever you can find. Draft a complaint letter. Fedex it to ALL of them. Certified mail might work as well. Return reciept would be good.

They will use it as ammunition on why that particular department head should be fired and one of their cronies should be installed in his place.

HEADS WILL ROLL. I guarantee it.

The issue is $$. Is the fedex cost worth it? Might run a couple of hundred by the time you are done. I did this when I had a problem with a $70,000 disk array from Sun. I did the board of directors, CEO, CFO, CIO, etc, etc, then all the people who had anything to do with the disk and field service division.

I can imagine the internal warfare that my letter ignited. hehehehehehehe!

They ended up giving me a full refund after 9 months of problems.

You ever get a company to cut a $70,000 refund check? Especially when you have no leverage of dangling future sales? It is not easy.
New ObLRPD: The one place you do NOT want to be
...is on Barry's bad side.

The secret to a good joke is getting the listener to tell it.
FuManChu
Expand Edited by FuManChu Nov. 26, 2003, 05:54:07 PM EST
New Might just do this...
Thanks for the idea.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Don't be too technical
1) Do you have a business account?

Far more leverage.

My brother Rob has a problem with his local cable company. He had a business account that he paid 3K for over a 6 month period. When the techies were working on his line started making noises about leaving at 5PM he raised hell. They worked all weekend, replacing almost every piece of equipment between him and the headend.

The service manager called him and bitched about him demanding people work all weekend and the costs involved. Rob responded: Gimme your boss. He then raised hell concerning the intermittant problems and outlined how much money he lost (or claimed to have lost) due to the crappy service. They wrote him a check for $2,200.

2) Keep the executive level letter under 1 page. You can have up to 4 pages of supporting detail, but do NOT overhwhelm them.

3) The master cover letter should include a list of everyone else who is receiving. Let them know who is involved. Let them shake in terror. Let them start scrambling to cover their asses. The initial reaction will give the other guys ammo, or it may lead to solving your problem.

4) Follow up with phone calls. Try to get reactions. Call each person who is not in the direct line of fire and ask their opinion and if they recommened you speak to someone else. Be happy to be their weapon in their quest for corporate domination. It may help you later as a contact.

5) Keep a really good log of every conversation. As you move through the list, drop an occasional name of the other people you were talking to. This willl give an appearance of connectedness and people will be more likely to talk to you in order to further their own careers.

6) Be cordial. Do not insult any of the techs. When speaking to the execs, stress that you understand getting reliable tech people will always be a problem, and you will be happy to work toward a resolution with whoever they direct you to. For all you know, you will get a high level job out of this.

7) Don't claim to be a technical person who can solve their problems. You don't TRULY know their internal systems so what should be a simple fix to you could be horribly complex. Even if you are right, it will not matter since you have no internal standing. Simply state you have faith their ability to solve the issue and keep pushing.
New Thanks, Barry.
Sometimes you can read me like a book.
Other times you scribble in my book with India ink spilling all over.
Yet other times, you have the grace of a well versed writer, whilst writing in my book.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Geothermal powered!
     Death to Comcast!!! - (broomberg) - (17)
         Re: Death to Comcast!!! - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Good site - (broomberg)
         Don't get me started... - (folkert) - (12)
             All better - (broomberg) - (7)
                 I have one of the original 3com modems. - (bepatient)
                 SB3100 here... - (folkert) - (5)
                     Dependancy / trust - (broomberg) - (4)
                         ObLRPD: The one place you do NOT want to be - (FuManChu)
                         Might just do this... - (folkert) - (2)
                             Don't be too technical - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 Thanks, Barry. - (folkert)
             DSL distance - (cforde) - (3)
                 Repeatedly... - (folkert) - (2)
                     behold the lowly tortise... - (cforde) - (1)
                         Ugh. Too bony for soup. -NT - (deSitter)
         So close, yet so far - (broomberg) - (1)
             Since the first of the year... - (folkert)

Yes, m'lord.
345 ms