IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New service packs
I had the same thought. I've applied all the critical updates available from Windows Update. No change.

Windows Update did recommend a new sound driver, which I declined. The sound works and didn't want to take the chance of breaking something else.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Blasted during upgrade!
Maybe you have my problem.

finally got around to upgrading from Windows 98 (bye bye shiteware!) to 2k Pro. svchost was crashing - hmm not good. I *know* the Windows 98 upgrade works flawlessly - so I immediately suspect something fishy.

Search for svchost.exe - find three versions - one is system32 (OK) one in dllcache (a copy) and one that is too big - in wins. I open it up in my binary editor and scroll down - see the word tftpd - FUCK! I've been blasted! The date on the file was today! What happened - when I upgraded IE and Lookout, it downloaded my mail and one of the 100s of stupid worms that show up in my inbox got thru. No damage, just a pisser.

Lesson - when Windows starts acting screwy, don't assume "it's just fucking Windows!" - it's probably something worse, given the density of malware on the Net.

Look in registry under \\hklm\\system\\currentcontrolset\\services for strange things. RpcTFTP is not good.
-drl
     Windows 98 memory management - (cforde) - (16)
         Kazaa or Kazaa lite? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Re: Kazaa or Kazaa lite? - (cforde)
             will be removed - (cforde) - (1)
                 Spybot Search 'n Destroy. - (inthane-chan)
         Did someone change the setting... - (bepatient) - (5)
             I checked the virtual memory setting - (cforde) - (4)
                 Well...I have a few items that load at startup - (bepatient)
                 I think your assumptions are incorrect. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     assumptions - (cforde) - (1)
                         Windows can do screwy things with swap. - (static)
         Memory leak - (deSitter) - (2)
             service packs - (cforde) - (1)
                 Blasted during upgrade! - (deSitter)
         Swap file needs to hold core dump - (Silverlock)
         Could be Spyware - (orion) - (1)
             spyware - (cforde)

The Elvish prince was so powerful and legendary that his first name alone contained over twenty apostrophes.
45 ms