IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did someone change the setting...
...that has windows control the memory management?

Believe its one of the tabs in the System folder of the Control Panel.

You can have windows manage itself or you can specify how much swap memory you want...its generally a bad idea to change from the default.

Win 98 generally will create a pretty large swapfile on the harddrive anyway...even if you're not running alot of stuff.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I checked the virtual memory setting
it's at the default. Windows is managing the swap file size. Given the amount of memory in the machine, and how little is running at startup, I'd expect the swap file size to be 0, or so.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Well...I have a few items that load at startup
...and my win386.swp is 106 meg.

I don't think its anything but a wonderful "feature" of Win98.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I think your assumptions are incorrect.
Hi Carl,

Given the amount of memory in the machine, and how little is running at startup, I'd expect the swap file size to be 0, or so.

Remember the documents from the anti-trust trial where MS people were talking about developing new "MIPS-eating" applications so they could sell more Windows licenses? Keep that in mind when thinking about Windows. They want to stress the system so that you feel you have to buy a new machine. :-)

With that in mind, it becomes more understandable that MS likes to maximize the cache size even at the expense of having more stuff in the swap file. NT was notorious for dumping stuff out of RAM to the swap file just to keep a big cache available so that it would seem the system was faster at loading programs.

[link|http://www.epinions.com/content_1812045956|This] post on epinions says that the minimum swap file size should be about 292 MB for Win98. YMMV.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New assumptions
it could well be that my assumptions are wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

My interest is more than academic though because system performance is terrible. It won't even play a CD smoothly. I can see that bumping up the swap file size will help, but in my uninformed opinion that's just covering up the underlying problem. Starting an application causes the swap file size to grow. It seems to me something has grabbed most of the memory in the system and is starving the other applications.

In the article you linked to the point about CD & CD/RW drives is very interesting because this machine does have a CD & CD/RW drive. I don't know how they are configured. But I will find out. :-)
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Windows can do screwy things with swap.
It genuinely needs some, BTW, due to quirk in the memory management algorithms (details are very difficult to find, I'm afraid), but that doesn't mean it will be in use. Plus applications can explicitly allocate swap.

It might be time to do a re-install. 2K Server had a weird quirk in some installations where it's quiscient state took more and more memory until it was re-installed. Rebooting didn't help.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Windows 98 memory management - (cforde) - (16)
         Kazaa or Kazaa lite? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Re: Kazaa or Kazaa lite? - (cforde)
             will be removed - (cforde) - (1)
                 Spybot Search 'n Destroy. - (inthane-chan)
         Did someone change the setting... - (bepatient) - (5)
             I checked the virtual memory setting - (cforde) - (4)
                 Well...I have a few items that load at startup - (bepatient)
                 I think your assumptions are incorrect. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     assumptions - (cforde) - (1)
                         Windows can do screwy things with swap. - (static)
         Memory leak - (deSitter) - (2)
             service packs - (cforde) - (1)
                 Blasted during upgrade! - (deSitter)
         Swap file needs to hold core dump - (Silverlock)
         Could be Spyware - (orion) - (1)
             spyware - (cforde)

...and the President was unfortunately subjected to public opinion.
93 ms