IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Big Chair/LazyBoy Chair
Find yourself a big chair or LazyBoy chair (which elevates your feet) and try to sleep at an angle (at last 20-30% elevated) for a few nights.

Also, things which help me at night are NyQuil and Vicks Vapor Rub. Smells nasty, but it clears you out.

During the day, try to clear out the congestion. Start with a hot, steamy shower in the AM and attempt to cough/spit out as much as possible.

Get some pseudophedrine (DayQuil) on board to try to clear you out. If you think it might be allergy related, you could try Claritin or Allegra. The one that works best for me is Zyrtec, but it's prescription.

Finally, you will know if it is pneumonia if:

1. You have a fever.
2. You feel like you have absolutely NO energy.
3. If the lower lobes of your lungs (usually near the bottom of your rib cage feel nasty, like they are full of water).
4. You will find it hard to breathe or cough the junk up.

If you don't feel better in 2-3 days, DEFINITELY go visit a doctor. Get him to listen to your lungs. Ask for anti-biotics if you are continuing to discharge yellow gunk for more than just 1-2 days, and you don't feel better.

My advice. I've had bronchitis more times than I can count.

Glen Austin
New Re: Big Chair/LazyBoy Chair
Find yourself a big chair or LazyBoy chair (which elevates your feet) and try to sleep at an angle (at last 20-30% elevated) for a few nights.

Hmmm I didn't think of that. We have a big couch with double reclining sides, maybe that would work.

Also, things which help me at night are NyQuil and Vicks Vapor Rub. Smells nasty, but it clears you out.

I've been using the Vicks regularly, but I never could handle Nyquil. Wish I could because I hear it knocks you out, but I can't seem to keep it down long enough.

During the day, try to clear out the congestion. Start with a hot, steamy shower in the AM and attempt to cough/spit out as much as possible.

Yeah, I've been doing some of that. :)I also dug out the water vaporizer today and set that up, and it has Kaz inhalant in it as well. I set that up in here where I am, hoping it will help.

Get some pseudophedrine (DayQuil) on board to try to clear you out. If you think it might be allergy related, you could try Claritin or Allegra. The one that works best for me is Zyrtec, but it's prescription.

It started as allergy, and progressed. My regular allergy medicine failed, so I'm on Allegra D now, per doctor's orders. I've never tried Dayquil, is it the same stuff as Nyquil? Wonder if I could handle it.

Finally, you will know if it is pneumonia if:

1. You have a fever.

Highest fever I've had is about 99.6 and it fluctuates. Does it have to be a high fever to be pneumonia?

2. You feel like you have absolutely NO energy.

I'm pretty run down, get tired fast, but I have SOME energy.

3. If the lower lobes of your lungs (usually near the bottom of your rib cage feel nasty, like they are full of water).

Is that something I feel with my fingers?

4. You will find it hard to breathe or cough the junk up.

Breathing is hard sometimes until I cough it up, but better after.

If you don't feel better in 2-3 days, DEFINITELY go visit a doctor. Get him to listen to your lungs. Ask for anti-biotics if you are continuing to discharge yellow gunk for more than just 1-2 days, and you don't feel better.

I'm on the antibiotic already, and I'm thinking of calling him tomorrow to tell him how it's going... I just desperately want to get some sleep.
EDIT: I started the antibiotic Doxycycline on Tuesday evening.

My advice. I've had bronchitis more times than I can count.

Me too, and it's miserable... I just don't remember it being quite this bad, but then, maybe I just wanted to forget.

Thanks for the advice gdaustin, I'll keep it all in mind.

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 20, 2003, 01:54:40 PM EST
New Answers
1. Fever must be above 101 to qualify for pneumonia. For 2-3 days, doesn't come down.

3. Lower lobes of your lungs will be physically sore, you may even be able to feel the "gurgling" when you breathe out.

As for the NyQuil / DayQuil. Both have pseudophedrine. NyQuil has antihistamine which makes you drowsy.

During the day, you need to take something with Guifenesin, to make you cough up the "gunk".

Glen Austin
New Re: Answers
1. Fever must be above 101 to qualify for pneumonia. For 2-3 days, doesn't come down.

3. Lower lobes of your lungs will be physically sore, you may even be able to feel the "gurgling" when you breathe out.

As for the NyQuil / DayQuil. Both have pseudophedrine. NyQuil has antihistamine which makes you drowsy.

During the day, you need to take something with Guifenesin, to make you cough up the "gunk".

Okay, pretty sure it isn't pneumonia then. Trying the Cherry NyQuil tonight to see if it helps me sleep, (going to bed really soon too). John gave me Robitussin DM and the coughing got better, and more productive, so that has that guifenesin in it. Ironically, the original allergy pill I was on that failed was Guiafen PSE.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I'm gonna try and get some sleep soon!

Nightowl >8#

"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
     Owl under the weather - (Nightowl) - (13)
         Me, I sweat it out... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Re: Me, I sweat it out... - (Nightowl)
         Big Chair/LazyBoy Chair - (gdaustin) - (3)
             Re: Big Chair/LazyBoy Chair - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Answers - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     Re: Answers - (Nightowl)
         Update on the Owl under the weather - (Nightowl) - (3)
             Scorpio - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Re: Scorpio - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     Nope - (deSitter)
         IT WORKED! - (Nightowl) - (2)
             Well, that's good news! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Re: Well, that's good news! - (Nightowl)

I found Soylent to be a punishingly boring, joyless product.
57 ms