IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What Ben said...
You need to get out more, Burns. C++ is a pretty cramped neighborhood... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Even C++ allows defining in scope...
for (var job eachJob = .....
New My two sense...
we usually had most logic than a simple ArrayList or Vector in our collection classes...

so:
   JobCollection allJobs;
   Job aJob;
   Job aProgammer; // Better still

Then:
   foreach (allJobs.begin(), allJobs.end(), <function call>);

(Or you could simply walk through them)
   for (allJobs::iterator i= allJobs.begin(); i != allJobs::iterator.end(); i++) {
       // DO something
   }

// The each aspect is implied - so it falls out.
New Well,
I write in what I'm paid to write in. Right now that's C...with a migration to C++ in the offing.

Most of my work is in the embedded arena. The closest thing I have to a script language is the shell of whatever platform we're using for cross development (mostly Windows, which as we all know, doesn't have a shell; some work is going to happen on Linux [Hoo-RAY!], and I'm furiously learning bash, because csh sux!). Some talk of perl work; so I'll be availing myself of the collective's expertise soon enough.

Oh, yeah...and MAKE files...they're sorta a script....

We don' need no steenkin' Web services!
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Re: I write in what I get PAID to write in
Hm. I get paid to write in what I write in. Subtle difference. ;)

I truly appreciated the power of anonymity in dynamic languages today, when I wrote:

categories = {}.fromkeys(categories).keys()

which removes duplicate items from the sequence named 'categories'. The {} creates a new, anonymous dictionary, which is first populated with .fromkeys(), then immediately consumed by .keys(), which returns the list I want.

Of course, if I did this regularly, I would put it in a named function, like 'flatten' or 'dedupe' or something. But you get the idea.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New You're clearly NOT a contractor, then...
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New I don't.
Well, I do, but I also write in a lot of other things, too.

Because learning languages other than the ones I use at work gives me a new appreciation (or depreciation, for that matter ;-) for how they operate, and new insights into how to use them creatively to solve problems.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New must be nice to have real work

-drl
New I'll bet it is too
FWIW

jobs do: [:each | each start].

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
     More fun with the One - (FuManChu) - (20)
         Synchonicity - (deSitter) - (17)
             When it's aNonymous, I usually do. Otherwise, nope. -NT - (FuManChu) - (16)
                 I see - (deSitter) - (15)
                     Not the point. - (FuManChu) - (14)
                         Here's a suggestion that will solve your problem - (jb4) - (13)
                             Re: Here's a suggestion that will solve your problem - (deSitter)
                             No, no, I'm swinging *back* from that - (FuManChu) - (11)
                                 Sorry, No Sale - (jb4) - (10)
                                     That would imply that YOU don't use dynamic languages - (ben_tilly)
                                     What Ben said... - (admin) - (8)
                                         Even C++ allows defining in scope... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                             My two sense... - (Simon_Jester)
                                         Well, - (jb4) - (5)
                                             Re: I write in what I get PAID to write in - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                 You're clearly NOT a contractor, then... -NT - (jb4)
                                             I don't. - (admin)
                                             must be nice to have real work - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 I'll bet it is too - (tuberculosis)
         Variable names. - (static) - (1)
             "$a_later_time, $an_even_later_time..."? ObSentientLRPD! - (CRConrad)

It's not rocket surgery!
55 ms