IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No, no, I'm swinging *back* from that
..on the pendulum backswing. Been there, do that constantly. It's just not always necessary. Sometimes you _should_ write "for eachJob in currentSet". Anything more descriptive would just get in the way.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New Sorry, No Sale
That would imply that you declared a variable called 'eachJob'. I'd love to see how you commented that...
\n    Job      eachJob;   // and I will describe this how?!?\n

Even in this example, the Job you are working with has a specific putpose and use in the program. This purpose and use has a name, and if you enumerate that, the variable magically names itself in such a way that event the most casual observers (ar a complete idion...like me) can figure out what it does.

YMMV
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New That would imply that YOU don't use dynamic languages
In Perl:

for my $each_job (@job_list) {
  # Do something, like this...
  $each_job->start();
}

You will note that no declaration exists. And a comment about what you mean by a variable that is in scope for 2 lines which is clear in context is silly to the point of stupidity. (Why add the maintainance overhead if its purpose is that clear?)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New What Ben said...
You need to get out more, Burns. C++ is a pretty cramped neighborhood... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Even C++ allows defining in scope...
for (var job eachJob = .....
New My two sense...
we usually had most logic than a simple ArrayList or Vector in our collection classes...

so:
   JobCollection allJobs;
   Job aJob;
   Job aProgammer; // Better still

Then:
   foreach (allJobs.begin(), allJobs.end(), <function call>);

(Or you could simply walk through them)
   for (allJobs::iterator i= allJobs.begin(); i != allJobs::iterator.end(); i++) {
       // DO something
   }

// The each aspect is implied - so it falls out.
New Well,
I write in what I'm paid to write in. Right now that's C...with a migration to C++ in the offing.

Most of my work is in the embedded arena. The closest thing I have to a script language is the shell of whatever platform we're using for cross development (mostly Windows, which as we all know, doesn't have a shell; some work is going to happen on Linux [Hoo-RAY!], and I'm furiously learning bash, because csh sux!). Some talk of perl work; so I'll be availing myself of the collective's expertise soon enough.

Oh, yeah...and MAKE files...they're sorta a script....

We don' need no steenkin' Web services!
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Re: I write in what I get PAID to write in
Hm. I get paid to write in what I write in. Subtle difference. ;)

I truly appreciated the power of anonymity in dynamic languages today, when I wrote:

categories = {}.fromkeys(categories).keys()

which removes duplicate items from the sequence named 'categories'. The {} creates a new, anonymous dictionary, which is first populated with .fromkeys(), then immediately consumed by .keys(), which returns the list I want.

Of course, if I did this regularly, I would put it in a named function, like 'flatten' or 'dedupe' or something. But you get the idea.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
New You're clearly NOT a contractor, then...
jb4
John Kerry
New I don't.
Well, I do, but I also write in a lot of other things, too.

Because learning languages other than the ones I use at work gives me a new appreciation (or depreciation, for that matter ;-) for how they operate, and new insights into how to use them creatively to solve problems.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New must be nice to have real work

-drl
New I'll bet it is too
FWIW

jobs do: [:each | each start].

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
     More fun with the One - (FuManChu) - (20)
         Synchonicity - (deSitter) - (17)
             When it's aNonymous, I usually do. Otherwise, nope. -NT - (FuManChu) - (16)
                 I see - (deSitter) - (15)
                     Not the point. - (FuManChu) - (14)
                         Here's a suggestion that will solve your problem - (jb4) - (13)
                             Re: Here's a suggestion that will solve your problem - (deSitter)
                             No, no, I'm swinging *back* from that - (FuManChu) - (11)
                                 Sorry, No Sale - (jb4) - (10)
                                     That would imply that YOU don't use dynamic languages - (ben_tilly)
                                     What Ben said... - (admin) - (8)
                                         Even C++ allows defining in scope... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                             My two sense... - (Simon_Jester)
                                         Well, - (jb4) - (5)
                                             Re: I write in what I get PAID to write in - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                 You're clearly NOT a contractor, then... -NT - (jb4)
                                             I don't. - (admin)
                                             must be nice to have real work - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 I'll bet it is too - (tuberculosis)
         Variable names. - (static) - (1)
             "$a_later_time, $an_even_later_time..."? ObSentientLRPD! - (CRConrad)

Non cogito ergo nihil, y'all.
123 ms