IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: They're not Scottish
You can always use the transaction services in a J2EE app server - with or without EJBs. The catch is you have to open,commit,rollback explicitly in code using JTA.
Truth, I had forgotten about JTA.

More to the point, I've rarely worked on systems that required transactional semantics that didn't exactly map to the single database I was using.
We're a financial application. Our clients would like to be able to share in our transactions via the backend interface, and as I mentioned some of our stuff doesn't hit the database at all.

I've never used EntityBeans and all that I read about them implies they are a solution in search of a problem. Avoid them. Better to make use of a conventional OR mapping layer like TopLink, EOF, or one of the new JDO implementations like SolarMetric's (which I've seen demo'd but haven't used - it looks a lot like EOF).
One of the problems I have with Entity EJBs is shared by all OR mapping tools: we don't expose the tables or views. All access is done via stored procedures for both security and business logic.

Of the lot of them, the one that seems the most sensible is Rod Johnson's "J2EE Design and Development".
I'll check it out, thanks.

Thanks for the comments.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Sounds like JDBC/JTA is all you need.
Although I don't quite understand enough about what you're doing to know how you're going to use transactions outside the db without the hassle of writing OTS compliant resources. But based on what I'm hearing, that sounds like the direction for you.

In Java, you can't escape the creepy feeling.

--James Gosling
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:02:09 AM EDT
     Speaking of EJBs... - (admin) - (7)
         experience...um.... - (slugbug) - (3)
             What kind of EJBs? - (admin) - (1)
                 Re: What kind of EJBs? - (slugbug)
             8 Seconds!?! - (gdaustin)
         They're not Scottish - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re: They're not Scottish - (admin) - (1)
                 Sounds like JDBC/JTA is all you need. - (tuberculosis)

Stop obsessing about collecting All Kinds of Stupid Crap.
36 ms