IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You could spend $700
and buy WebObjects and just use EOF.

EOF supports objects that span tables. Multiple classes in the same table. It understands stored procedures and you can specify stored procs to be used for each of the insert, read, update and delete operations.

I haven't used Hibernate - it has a lot of mindshare just now and comes bundled with JBOSS. But I'm sick of hand editing dense xml files. Its too hard. Human readable my ass. I like EOF in large part because of the modeling tool. Cayenne is another OR mapper and it also has a modeling tool. Any framework lacking a modeling tool is, IMNSHO, caca. I don't have the patience to use it.

OT: Am I the only developer who grows more disgusted daily at the insane amount of inane xml formatted, mostly boilerplate, meta file development I have to do these days in order to get anything done? I don't have any trouble writing the software, its all the other shit I can't keep track of.

In Java, you can't escape the creepy feeling.

--James Gosling
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:01:51 AM EDT
New CRUD and OR
99% of the business logic for our app is in stored procedures right now. OR mapping doesn't make a lot of sense, since we'd just be specifying a stored procedure to perform an operation (like, "order these bonds at this price"). A mapping layer doesn't add much value on top of that that I can see. It also doesn't help that the database structure isn't exactly the cleanest. We'd spend a lot more time cleaning the structure up to make it presentable for an OR tool.

Regarding XML files: I hates them, my precious. We're looking at Struts and whaddayaknow, the pages are mapped to URLs using a bunch of frigging XML files. I'd rather do it in code. The XML isn't any more transparent to non-coders anyway.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New XML, Struts and other - now OT
Yep, Struts does use XML a lot, especially for the find-forwards. (But, to me at least, it's not TOO bad to do by hand.)

But, XML should be (in these instances and IMO) a communication mechanism between 2 programming tools. There are configuration tools for Struts that will create that XML for you. (Camino, et al.) (Note: I have NOT used them.)

Used that way, XML is simply a uniform easy way to store data and anyone can write a graphical front end for it. (Sadly...some people seem determined to make it difficult and write this front end in Java....don't ask me why.)
New Don't forget XDoclet (for JBoss, Struts, Hibernate, etc.)
     For Java people, evaluate Hibernate? - (ben_tilly) - (8)
         A lot of them... - (Simon_Jester)
         On the usefulness of O-R mappers: - (admin) - (6)
             Agreement - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                 Heck, we even generate the HTML in the database :-P - (admin)
             You could spend $700 - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 CRUD and OR - (admin) - (2)
                     XML, Struts and other - now OT - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         Don't forget XDoclet (for JBoss, Struts, Hibernate, etc.) -NT - (dshellman)

The namespace is ... large. And a dictionary attack against a ... large namespace is ... large and then some.
44 ms