IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No ideas on Java
I like Meyer's Object Oriented Software Construction for OOP in general. Also, the Smalltalk Companion for the GOF is better, though it helps to use them side by side.

Of course, this requires forays into Eiffel and Smalltalk, which may be a bit much to ask. :-)
New That's what I'm trying to avoid.
The GoF book is C++ oriented, and the Java patterns book (last time I checked) was pretty poor.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Meyer
I like Meyer's Object Oriented Software Construction for OOP in general.

Don't forget my [link|http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/meyer1.htm|OOSC2 Critique] "companion guide". Otherwise, they might start believing that those fscking shape examples map to real world design issues.

Unfortunately, I have to solve real world problems in "real time", so I don't have time to go through a 1300 page theory book on OO.

The best materials I have are a few training manuals, with the right structure, the right questions to ask, etc. that a former employee left in a cube I was instructed to clean out. About 200 pages of clear, concise instructions OO, how to do test cases, how to ask is a/has a questions, how to build the classes in C++.

In about a day, I knew exactly what to do. I've had it for 9 years now, and refer back to it every time I have to do this stuff from scratch again (which isn't very often).

Glen Austin
     Books for teaching OO - (admin) - (11)
         No ideas on Java - (ChrisR) - (3)
             That's what I'm trying to avoid. - (admin)
             Meyer - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Very Academic... - (gdaustin)
         Possibility... - (Yendor)
         Re: Books for teaching OO - (systems)
         Used Deitel and Deitel books.... - (gdaustin) - (1)
             Second on Deitel - (tjsinclair)
         Well? Scott? - (gdaustin) - (2)
             Still looking them over. - (admin) - (1)
                 Found Deitel 4th Edition at Half Price Books for $29.99 - (gdaustin)

More aluminum-magnesium batons than you can shake a leg at.
151 ms