IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Life is a fatal condition
I agree, have even said so - that Bush has surprised me thus far. Alas this does not instantly correct for his being who he (seems to) be: a C+ MBA-type flake, whose grasp of world history appears no better than average Murican -- of an era of growing dumbth.

Yes, he has surprised.. notice? Few expected him to Not react sterotypically. He may continue to surprise many of us: thereby earn first genuine respect for well-hidden talents - dare we hope for wisdom ?? OK - I will hope for that too. I'd *love* to discover I have utterly missed amazingly sub-rosa talents in this man, so incapable of extemporaneous expression of more than slogans.

My point remains: if during the time of planning the first atrocity, these sociopaths managed to parallel-process - and more, dare I say even *worse*? occurs ?? (I do dare; do not waste dudgeon attributing 'wish' to that dire but clear possibility).

THAT is where ... everything instantly becomes much harder, and Pandora returns with her Box. Why is it so easy for folks to conveniently forget: we (alone or in concert) possess the capability of rendering this planet nearly uninhabitable for lifeforms higher than bacteria - if provoked into mindless spasm reaction.

Do you really believe that we have seen the last on-shore action?

A.
New That, my friend, is the million dollar question...
Regis? Was this the last terrorist action on this country, continent, NATO alliance city/state? Most probably not. Another occurence on such a "grand scale" ... most probably not. I don't think the giants are asleep anymore. In other words, and I could be wrong, but I think they pretty much shot their terrorist wad with the WTC and Pentagon. They had 8 + years to plan and train. They did it... Now, anyone who carries a Middle Eastern or Arabic in any form name, visage, etc... is under intense scrutiny in this country (wiretaps, surveillence, etc...) or trying to enter or exit this place.

Don't get me wrong, there will be many, many more small scale disasters (dickhead straps bomb to self and walks into a crowd of people)... There's not much anyone can do to prevent that. Given the fact that there are only about 1 in 1,000,000 (give or take a few) fanatic assholes willing to kill themselves in order to bring about random destruction and sufferring to non military men, women and children... I'd say in about five years the laws of attrition will take place, if nothing else... Seriously though, that is why it is crucial for the "anti-terrorists" countries to become terrorists to nations that have harbored these "folks" in the past, present or future... A great big "OR ELSE" needs to be established right now...

It is an old tradition in the vane of "an eye for an eye". If you come to this country and kill one of us, we will not only kill you but every member of your family, etc... Come back again, we'll kill you and anyone that looks like you... They understand this shit... This is the world in which they live.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New Well.. OK just so long as
we exploit the propaganda, tactical value of that last - and do not become that which we despise ;-)
New In the final analysis, at this particular point in
history, we are required to become just as frigging vicious (for real, not just propoganda) as is required to establish the "or else". There will be plenty of time to worry about "what becomes of the soldiers coming home" later. For now, they need to be terrorists themselves and we need to support them. Harsh, sure. Cruel, sure. Effective, sure.

I think it's important to keep in mind that, IMHO, the Roman Empire did not fall by decadence... The Greeks were not "punished" for Hellenizing the planet... The Turks, the Persians, the Egyptians, the (insert former world power here) did not fall as a result of their faults OTHER than their failure to fight and win wars.

It's interesting to intellectualize about nations, about notions of "peace on earth", about "justice", etc.. It's also not practical in the sense of nations and the sense of the history of mankind. See, in history, periods of peace are only brief rests between wars... Go ahead. Pick up a history book... SEE! Homo Sap isn't going to suddenly "get it" just because you or I think we should. It's apparent to this sap that war is hardwired into our genetics (somewhat like a Maltheusian release valve?). My point (do I have one?), if you're gonna bother to fight a war, like deSitter said, you want to take the Sherman approach to the actual battlefield. We really didn't ask for this one either.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New As said: as a tactic, prolly necessary a bit, such as we are
One must display the visage of 'fierceness', lest the simple-minded mistake wise forbearance for weakness!

But yield personally, to that mindless state [??]

Might's well next.. howl like a wolf with mange, max out those CCs, buy Two UAVs and a 99" Tee Vee - yer already dead. And the dead do walk.. look around.

Besides, as Arjuna finally got it: there are worse things than 'dying'; one is becoming what you know you despise, (and why) then pretending that was what you wanted all along. (Or.. "it was worth it")

Rest case.

A.
New What you said.
Oh, and read my .sig for more.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Nietzsche also believed in superman...
Here's one for you... He who sleeps with monsters might not wake up...

DMR
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New I doubt he believed in Superman...
...with a capital "S" though...

I'm all for doing in monsters. The question is, should we become that which we seek to destroy, in order to destroy it?

If we do, then there is no difference between Bin Laden and ourselves.

I'm all for finding every single terrorist and giving them a .45 caliber enema. People seem to be forgetting that when I talk out. The difference is, they are not a sufficiently large enough threat to warrant destroying our own beliefs and faiths in order to stop them.

If you want something on that order, maybe the old Soviet Union, circa Cuba missile crisis era, or go read "The War Against the Chtorr."

Our collective survival as a culture is not on the line, no matter what Shrub et al might be trying to tell you. If it was, then I might be a little more willing to go along with the UberFascist "we can do no wrong" statements in this war. As it is, since our survival is not at stake, we are in serious danger of getting more of the same, if we don't learn from our mistakes.

That is WTF I am talking about, that is WTF the .sig is about, and that is what I am Fscking Tired of explaining every five minutes. You goddamn morons go running around as if Satan himself has materialized on the face of the earth in the form of OBL - calling out "the sky is falling, the sky is falling." A lot of people died in the WTC attacks (6-7k? I'm not sure) - and a lot more will die before this is all over. And you know what? After it all, the sun will still rise, and people will still take each day one at a time. If we go into this as if this is a Just and Righteous Fight Against the Only Monster on the Planet, we'll be fighting this war again, and again, and again, and again, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

If, and ONLY IF we are in danger of being wiped out AS A COLLECTIVE CULTURE, then YES I would be all for indiscriminate defense of our culture.

Losing some really infintesmally small portion of our population, without wanting to sound callous towards those who died, from such an event is NOT a Culture-threatening event.

Pearl Harbor was culturally threatening - somebody with a lot of resources came and kicked our teeth in, and then threatened to give us a body blow.

Hitler was culturally threatening - he took over Europe!

OBL blew up a building. He has minimal resources for further action. Most nations are picking sides against him. I do want the fundamental roots of terrorism taken out, but not at the cost of my humanity.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Couple of factual points....
Pearl Harbor was culturally threatening - somebody with a lot of resources came and kicked our teeth in, and then threatened to give us a body blow.

Erm.

Pearl Harbor was incredibly damaging to the US ego, that's about it.

The Japanese never were planning an attack on the US. They wanted the Pacific. That's it. Pearl Harbor was an attempt to shock the US out of it, to give up without a fight, and if we didn't, to make it impossible to stop them.

In 1960, Robert Menard was a Commander aboard the USS Constellation when he was part of a meeting between United States Navy personnel and their counterparts in the Japanese Defense Forces.

Fifteen years had passed since VJ day, most of those at the meeting were WWII veterans, and men who had fought each other to the death at sea were now comrades in battle who could confide in one another.

Someone at the table asked a Japanese admiral why, with the Pacific Fleet devastated at Pearl Harbor and the mainland US forces in what Japan had to
know was a pathetic state of unreadiness, Japan had not simply invaded the West Coast.

Commander Menard would never forget the crafty look on the Japanese commander's face as he frankly answered the question.

"You are right", he told the Americans. "We did indeed know much about your preparedness. We knew that probably every second home in your country contained firearms. We knew that your country actually had state championships for private citizens shooting military rifles. We were not fools to set foot in such quicksand."

Japan never could have held anything across the ocean. They weren't going to attempt it.

Hitler was culturally threatening - he took over Europe!

Which was threatening to the European culture. Germany had no aircraft carriers, not even long-range bombers.. When he declared war (on the US) it was a shock even to the British... Churchill was surprised - and elated. He knew what the US coming in meant.

Germany wasn't a threat to us, either. At best, after winning the war in Europe, assuming they had, and developing the atomic weapon, there would have been a standoff - but those oceans are big, deep, and cold. They insulate very well.

OBL blew up a building. He has minimal resources for further action.

We don't know what his resources are.

And its a bit more than "blew up a building". He had an organized effort of _at least_ 20 people, who hijacked 4 planes, and apparently more were planned, and *trained* pilots to fly said planes, and then staged a timed attack.

We don't know what the intent was, but apparently it was to kill 50,000 people or more. The fact that they failed in their intent was as much luck as the preparation that the previous attempt had caused. What else was a target for the planes that didn't get hijacked?

Unless you presume that OBL's an idiot, surely he knew what the response would be - and surely he's got a plan for it, and a counter attack of *some* sort planned.

I think you're demonizing the people who want him and his ilk dead as much as you think they're misunderstanding you.

Have you seen Training Day? From what I've read, it sounds like a very similar situation. How low can you go, before you've crossed the line?

Addison
New Hitler not threatening?
Consider Cold war where NATO's resources are on Soviet side. That's what you'd get if Hitler prevailed. With a leader on top that is clinically crazy. Are you sure US would have won?
New It's Laughable, Isn't it?
Hitler not threatening. Whoa! talk to the Ukranians and the Muscovites, not to mention the Poles.

addison and screamer - birds of the same oily feather.
New Not to the US culture, no.
Which was the context involved.

I don't know the US would have "won" the resulting cold war, but I'm fairly confident.. The Nazi state would have (likely) collapsed sooner than the Soviet did.

But that's aside from the fact that we got involved with WWII for moral grounds, not defense.

Addison
New Re: Not to the US culture, no.
Nazi state may have lasted longer than Soviet. They did not kill their own citizen withe the same ferocity. In particular, they did not kill off pesantry like Stalin did.
New Guess I'm demonizing myself as well...
...since I'm one who wants to install .45 caliber air conditioning in OBL's cranium for crimes against humanity. I'd smiley face this, but I can't bring myself to - it's too serious.

Good point about the Japanese - I actually had forgotten that. OTOH, they did try to invade a small part of the U.S. - a machinegun bunker on one of the Alaskan islands, but that doesn't really count for much. Still...

Y'see, if you've been listening to marlowe and screamer, they're cryin' out - "Hey, let's kill 'em all, we'll figure out the bill later!" At least, that seems to be the gist of what they're saying in my perception.

I'm saying, "Hell, yeah, let's go bust a cap in his ass, but let's also take steps to make sure that we're not back here in another 20 years." And no, that doesn't mean turning the area into glass, but it sure doesn't mean bending over and letting OBL ream us with a 747.

That's what I'm trying to flail against - and I'm probably not doing it too effectively, being split three ways already - house hunting, job, and school. Brain overload!
New Its all context.
Remember: Fairness, justice, evenness, these are all fictions we've created.

And so the context is important. OBL thinks he's a hero for what he's done. He wants to kill more Americans - the word "innocent" is meaningless to him.

Which in his context is fine.

In our context, it means we've got to kill him, and his buddies.

If you look for a completely "centered" viewpoint, you end up a fundamentalist - and you cannot tolerate anyone not centered at least close to you. Or at least, most people can't.

Good point about the Japanese - I actually had forgotten that. OTOH, they did try to invade a small part of the U.S. - a machinegun bunker on one of the Alaskan islands, but that doesn't really count for much. Still...

Couple Islands, actually. But that was a feint in the Battle of Midway. The plan was that the US commanders there would start screaming, the Fleet would set sail from Pearl, go north to head off the Japanese, Midway would get hit, they'd change directions, and sail into a pincher of battleships supported by aircraft.

So it wasn't a "serious" attack, and they abandoned it later.

I'm saying, "Hell, yeah, let's go bust a cap in his ass, but let's also take steps to make sure that we're not back here in another 20 years." And no, that doesn't mean turning the area into glass, but it sure doesn't mean bending over and letting OBL ream us with a 747.

And context gets us again.

I mean, we *could* abandon Israel. Get out of every foreign affair, and just retreat back to the US mainland. That's the most obvious step to "avoid" these problems. But as you note, there are times when we take a moral imperative. Bombing the Serbs - when none of the Europowers wanted to Be Involved. Why? Mainly because there was a lot of downside, and not a *lot* of gain. Why get the serb's pissed, and possibly having terrrorist attacks, etc, getting the boys killed.... In the short term, its easier, better, safer to "mind your own business".

And as you know, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. If you saw a woman getting raped, would you act? If you said yes, then you're not thinking about it. It would depend, wouldn't it? On what you did, and how?

If you saw a woman being raped by one guy, you'd act differently than by a bunch of guys, and probably differently if they visibly had weapons. What if they had weapons, and badges/uniforms? (IE, were the cops, or local military) - that would change how you acted, in each case, right?

Context is everything. And context is subject to interpretation.

Short answer: Life's a Bitch.

:)

Addison
New I'm only gonna say this once...
You write:

"You goddamn morons go running around as if Satan himself has materialized on the face of the earth in the form of OBL - calling out "the sky is falling, the sky is falling." A lot of people died in the WTC attacks (6-7k? I'm not sure) - and a lot more will die before this is all over. And you know what? After it all, the sun will still rise, and people will still take each day one at a time."

Are you including me in those "morons"? If so, you obviously haven't really read any of my posts. If I may reiterate - civilization now stands at a crossroads... For mankind to live in a society (which Nietsche had some monsterously fucked up ideas about if you'd actually bother to read him), there has to be an "or else".

"I like you shirt, I'll take it." "I like your woman - I think I'll rape her". "I don't like you, I think I'll blow up two of your biggest buildings and kill as many of you as I can." Laws exist to keep people from doing what they other wise would do naturally. If it was just "wrong" and there was no "or else", then there really would be no point in having laws - nor civilizations....

Now just exactly what is your point?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New As a matter of fact, it *is* on the line.
These people have demonstrated by both word and deed that they are unwilling to tolerate the existence of anything but their own culture. And they have demonstrated by their organization and ingenuity that containment is not likely to succeed.

The sun may rise in the morning, but on what sort of world?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Not on theirs.
We have the resources, and the will, to make sure they don't win, without losing our society. I am sure of it. There is just too much of the world that doesn't agree with them, or has too much to lose by agreeing with them, to keep them from winning.

The real problem isn't stomping out this manifestation of the disease. The real problem is curing it before our toys (read:weapons) get so nasty that the next manifestation of the disease wipes us all out.

Stop treating the symptoms, without treating the cause.
New No He Didn't
That was allegory. He believed in human potential, as far as his natural cynicism would allow.

I really get peeved when someone spouts some pseudo-intellectual rumor like this. Read Nietzsche and then spout. You can read, no?
New Yo, Ubermenschkopf, do you have a clue?
You think I would bring up this existentialist piece of shit- that the Nazis just LOVED for no frigging reason? Inthane may not be aware just how offensive quoting Nietsche is now, but some of us are... and the superman thing was meant as a joke (sort of).

Nietzsche (notice the real spelling?) died insane and spent most of his miserable life that way... How profound!!!

Come on man...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietshe

"Nietsche is dead"
God

"Nietsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones

New Pitiful
I read Nietzsche extensively. He was a great, profound, and misunderstood man. Read "Human, all too Human" if you've got the balls and the attention span. Then try Zarathustra. Never mind, you wouldn't understand.

The fact that you bring up Nazis shows how little you know. I suppose Strauss and Wagner need to be similarly whitewashed with your trivial brush.
New Fair enough...
and I'll disregard the balls comment. Did read it. You are right though. I didn't understand the fucking thing. It makes little sense to the sane. Mighty fine line, I'm aware...Might as well read Gogol and Lermontov while we're at it... Keep in mind the context. This discussion can be summarized IMHO, as putting the cart before the horse (former taglines aside). It appears to me that some of the people here are concerning themselves with what we do "after we win"... As if this is a given. From a psychological standpoint, I'm not so sure who exactly is winning this conflict.

One simple fact remains. The only reason why all members of this forum are even able to pontificate about this abstract nonsense is because a bunch of 18-24 year old boys were sacrificed in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait to give us this privilege. I'd be interested if any of the "pacifists" in this bunch has ever served his country? Had family members that "died for their country"?

Ross, you've lost your religion... Join the club. But you aren't going to find any more enlightenment in a philosophy book than you are by being an astute student of life.

Ashton was correct. Should have ended this thread long ago. Sorry for the bad feelings. Sincerely.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones

New I Have Gained My Religion
..not lost it. My faith in God is stronger than ever, and in Man, less than ever. Curious, since God lives only in Man. People are by and large irreligious and faithless, just as God is pitiless and merciless - *when seen from the old perspective*. Men profess faith, but live as machines and drones. God loves, but brutally condemns for eternity and kills in horrible ways with a straight face. This was precisely Nietzsche's main concern - how God comes into Man and make him divine, and how Man creates God with his highest aspirations. It is now my main concern (although I wonder - why bother?)
New I wish I had the answers...
I don't. I guess stating certain aspects of any philosopher/poet/author gives context. I'm being a prick about Nietsche because at this point in my life, I have no time for existentialism/nihilism. As a result, I am happier. And I also am as guilty of hiding behind words as the next. We are on these fora "talking it out" to gain context. I learn a lot from you all.

I think your assessment of the human condition is pretty accurate, albeit, sad. And in "context", God cannot be judged. I try to keep that in mind. We are like ants looking at Mt. Everest (for lack of a better analogy). We may be able to see something... but have no idea of what that realm truly is. I am therefor agnostic, because I don't think I'll ever truly understand. Which is sad in and of itself. The major questions of who, what, when where, why and how apply to things like creation/nature of life/etc... It is in our makeup to want to know. That's why religion and philosophy exist. Because we are so ill equipped to "know".

I truly value your opinion and thank you for caring enough to argue with me. I'm still not gonna give up the tagline though :-)
Just a few thoughts,

Dan

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

Celina Jones

New Likely a wise decision re nihilism.. and other -isms.
Do you think the Nazis 'understood' what Nietzsche was aiming towards? (I don't - 'understanding ' was not what they sought from N. - merely some out-of context phrases on which to rationalize a lust for power and a deification of Authority). A ploy as was "The Jew". Effective though, on the shallow and the easily led.

Similarly, amidst cannon fire is not when rearrangements of philosophy are managed. Supposedly times of 'peace' permit the recently lived lessons to sink in and ferment - except perhaps, when constant diversion takes all the space for contemplation, next (?)

Now - we're in-it again, having remained in denial about Vietnam and about the consequences of having supported so many suppurating bastards since. We made material accommodations and for material (oil and other) reasons, forgetting our alleged 'principles', conveniently.

I have no idea how this Muslim-roulette shall turn out; much too early to guess anything.

But if this "world of appearances" is indeed also that "world of opposites / of duality" -- then there is no escape from the endless warring of the extremes, nor can indeed "the center hold": that of accommodation of both extremes, for marginal illusion of 'security'.

True peace is a state of being, unalterable by the above endless play of opposites (so I have been told). Shakespeare got it, and parts of most holybooks try to mention it -- but not many seek it. Maybe because the noise is always there, and the pretty baubles are soo attractive.

Anyway.. both you and deS have at least a chance of remaining uninvolved in the sound and fury, and pursuing the only sort of peace that doesn't need "" around it. You already know the direction for enquiry - and the poverty of the outward symbols. Nobody can pass on anything substantial (no pun intended, much), just hints.

So.. why not get on with it? (But you can't tell! anyone ;-) It's the only game in town - all the rest is just deadly entertainment.

Cheers,

A.
New Extremes/Extremists get the most attention
simply because they can be so firm in their convictions. The people in the middle tend to be less forceful in their convictions because in seeing the possibilities on both sides of an issue, they are less convinced that their way is necissarily the right way. These are the people that, if they get to see both sides, could find the peaceful road in between; but shown only one side become mere sheep, following along with the crowd because nothing better presents itself. Of course even given that information, because of their less forceful demeanor, they usually go unheard.

It is due to this that people in general tend to gravitate to one extreme or another. Those with the most conviction in their beliefs become the most heard. If one extreme is the majority or only extreme heard, those in the middle turn sheep and follow along. And because there is often more than two extremes, even if the middle person sees more than one side of the issue, they never really see all of the sides.

At least that my view of the problem. I hope I haven't made it too confusing.
~~~)-Steven----
New Thou sayest: so long as the noise drowns out the wise(r) :[
New Ah, thanks...
This discussion can be summarized IMHO, as putting the cart before the horse (former taglines aside)
...for the confirmation.

Since you said something about "as I've said here for years" [paraphrased] abouyt a week or so ago, I've been thinking if I should post something about second-hand smoke to find out if this is you, Dan.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New The taaaaglinnnnnnnnneeeeee......
I love it... I might wish to borrow it if you wouldn't mind, Sir Almightyandknowing... Ummm... As far as second hand smoke is concerned, it's all puffery at this point. Rauchen verboten! (cigarettes anyway). Yep, it's me... Just trying to find a better way to post at work ;-)

But since you've deduced my "true" identity, Sir Sherlock, prove to me that I exist. Then prove to me the pizza stuck between the "b" and "v" keys doesn't exist while your at it. It would make me bery happy.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

Celina Jones

New Thanks Dan for turning into an incognito asshole
Join the list of former friends. You all suck.
New Wow.
I didn't know people could turn back into teenagers.

Maybe, one day, you'll turn into a real human being.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Now it's gettin personal...
DeSitter,
I am truthfully and profoundly sorry that you now think I am an asshole. I already realized that I had "crossed the line" in the last few posts (late last night) between debating and getting personal. I've already apologized and I sincerely meant it.

This topic is inflamatory to say the least. I can't honestly say that it's possible for me to divorce myself from the pathos of the tragedy that happened in New York or Washington. I disqualify myself from being "objective" and will remove myself from further debate. I hope you will reconsider putting me on your "list".

Please take a few minutes and read my posts from last night. I'm not eloquent at apology, but I think you'll find that I was trying.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

Celina Jones

New I don't get it, Dan
..why you might think an apology is due DR? - one who is constitutionally unable to apologize after.. whatever excess.

Also one so disdainful of 'noticing someone else' - as to miss your alias. When you are self-preoccupied to distraction, you don't tend to take the trouble of noticing the nuances within messages - in words (or in person, usually?)

Hell, I thought 'twas you, shortly after your first New post; pretty sure by second.. memes? style? POV? (no reason to blab, natch - everybody doesn't have to know everything). But then, I was looking.

Don't mistake my POV either - I believe DR has a finely honed intellect, and I've been around lots of large intellects in my time. Should he ever find it important enough to bring his social awareness up to nominal levels - he may even get the chance to do something useful with it. I make allowances for his lack; he's hardly alone in that uneven development - it often goes with the territory. (You shoulda seen what the grandson of George Cantor [of Aleph- fame] was like - he was my roommate .. for One term only - even though I was pretty much an asshole too, still..)

But there's a limit to how often you want a friend's visiting prodigy offspring.. peeing in your piranha pool. Alas, I see little improvement since his last demonstration of ineptness in the common courtesy of every society.

Sorry to intrude in a 1:1 exchange - but I wrote my reply to DR before seeing your message. Knowing what little I know - I don't see that you 'owe Him', but quite -

Ashton
fools rush in
New I think you do know...
When I'm after making a "point" I can be as tenacious as a ferret (pitbull?). Most here can be. As you mention in your following post, "what is the purpose of debate"? It is my wish to be able to "enlighten" but I'm really here to become enlightened as well. Probably much like a songwriter bears their soul in his music, he or she most likely is just putting those thoughts out there in public view like they would a canary in a coal mine... Comparing life notes so to speak. This is what I think... How about you? Trying to find that balance.

The "duality" and conradiction of my personal position, I strive to be an idealist and pacifist in my own life. I -try- to maintain a liberal (as in open minded) stance towards this existence. I am rigid but able to bend if necessary. My goal in a debate is to tear down ideas and not people. I try. A lot of my "style" is a fire for effect.... to throw out ideas that have been whirling around me and not necessarily those that I have internalized. And in some debates, such as the current one, intelligent people can have an honest and profound difference of opinion. I'm not willing to throw away my humanity (really) because I'm angry now. I have a small child and another on the way. I don't want them to grow up in a world of hate, narcissitic greed, vanity, sellsellsell. In the same light, I honestly believe... well, you know that.

In this light, this is why I feel I owe DeSitter an apology. And I give an open apology to anyone else that I may have, have, or will piss off in the future. It's easy to forget in the heat of our discussions that most here are of extremely high intellect and highly sensitive - me included (at least in the sensitive part...). Looking back at this thread, I know that I crossed the line with the ubermensch kopf post. I was intentionally trying to be a smartass... There, I said it...

I'm still gonna hang onto the tagline for a few more days though :-) By the way, does anyone know where the Celina Jones thing originates? It makes it much more humorous.

Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"God is dead"
Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead"
God

Celina Jones

New OK, sorry...
Ashton Dane-(in-)Law:
Hell, I thought 'twas you, shortly after your first New post; [...] (no reason to blab, natch - everybody doesn't have to know everything). But then, I was looking.
Hey, I can see the barb, even if it's well buried... But FWIW (and as far as I could see), by the time I posted, Dan had pretty much stated as an assumption that pretty much everybody knew who he was.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Yup.
He let the cat out of the bag early.

It's hard to keep up with handles sometimes, but he was pretty explicit. Now whether deSitter saw the reply is something I don't know... :-(

[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=4195|Here] - look at the last post.

Another irony is that I believe (corrections welcome) that it was Dan who caused many of us to get off our duffs and help Ross when he was in trouble.... :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Which kind'a proves two things. No, three:
Not only [1] that "de Sitter" is a mean asshole (for jumping Dan now), but [2] that he's a stupid mean asshole (for not knowing that he'd already recognized him), too.

(the "Other") Scott:
Another irony is that I believe (corrections welcome) that it was Dan who caused many of us to get off our duffs and help Ross when he was in trouble.... :-(
Oh yeah, that too.

Which would make him [3] a doubly-fucking-mean stupid mean asshole.
   Christian R. Conrad
New I don't think deSitter had malice a-forethought. Forgetful?
New less see according to psych 101 and posts here n there
losing a spouse/SO due to death or permanent estrangement, losing everything ( worse than bankrupcy) losing gig(major upset) and losing what little you have gained back(loss of pc by theft with all intellectual work stolen) any one of which could lead to a nervous breakdown and doc has hit all of them in less than 1 year. Lucky he isnt in a rubber room. I am not saying cut slack if ya dont want to but I would have given up posting a long time ago under those conditions.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Agreed. Pity that he didn't mention this last ugly event
til well after entering flamb\ufffd mode..

(Sayin that "everyone sucks" is tantamount to sayin, "life sucks" - which is to forget.. it also blows)

I'm sure that some of us could rassle up another box for DR, but that has nothing to do with the lost data - do cops ever recover *anything* these days? Local flea markets? (wiped drive :[ though) {sigh}

The Gawds must *love* Assholes like this thief - She makes so many of em..

..now Ill remember why to *really* put a copy of that backup - OFF-site :[
New Barb?
I was talking about deS - not copping to the ID, at all til spelled out. (And.. they've met!)

What are you talking about ? ;-)
New Really?
Seems to me you responded to one of my posts - an impersonal, neutral one and not a reply to you, with "Hey dickhead!" Now, you're perfectly welcome to call me a dickhead if you know me (or think you do) - e.g. I can even respect that maggot Harris because he's at least honest about hating me - but you REALLY KNOW ME and still just up and "dickheaded" me. And guess what - if I'd known it was you, I would have been actually wounded - but I didn't, so I hit back. And now I'm just forced to swallow one more disgusting moment of two-facedness and backstabbing from someone I really trusted. So fuck you buddy and stay fucked.
New Please...
I really meant the subject line as a play on words like we used to do in the old IWE. I was playing around and didn't realize that you were taking me that seriously. I also really thought that you knew who I was... really. I have apologized in other posts last night and today. Guy, please don't be hurt. I meant absolutely nothing personal. I was arguing points, that's all. I crossed the line.

If I didn't care how you viewed things or what you think, I wouldn't have bothered to respond or to spend the effort that I am now to try and make you understand that I didn't mean to upset you personally. It means something to me that I don't. I do consider you a friend and that I most probably screwed up. I'm asking you to be a friend and understand that it truly was unintentional and to forgive me.

Dan
New Too Many Scars
This is my last post here.

I have no power to forgive. The word is meaningless. God himself is a cruel, malicious bastard, and his in-his-image-created people are a scourge on a beautiful planet. As a general rule, they are stupid, venal and miserable beyond any description. They shit, piss and vomit on everything good and noble. They are black-hearted cowards and will not stop until this fair corner of the Universe is a smoking ruin. Good riddance - but pity the innocence of bees and squirrels. Still, once in a while a good one randomly pops up almost in spite of the evil bastard who sits on the throne of "heaven". For that at least I am thankful - no one can erase the memory of a Beethoven or an Einstein. Actually, come to think of it, that's not really true, is it? Wait, there's that Voyager thingy - a message in a bottle cast off a sinking ship that will of course never be found. That's some comfort, no?

At this point I am so scarred up by living 42 years among homo venalis that I have nothing in my soul but disgust and a desire to be 100 million miles from the stink of this miserable race. Ask God to forgive you. If he's having a good day, he might consider it. Of course, he may hit you with a terrorist jet too, or force you to choose between incineration, pulverization, or a 1000 foot, 10 second lesson in unassisted human flight. And if you're like me, he may rub it in by letting you dream about it beforehand and so rip away even the comfort and escape of sound sleep. Thanks God!

Bye
New Friends will be here if you change your mind.
Best of luck Ross.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wot 'e said.
Ross, as a middling science fiction author said...

"Life sucks, then you die, then they put you in a hole in the ground, and then the worms eat you.

BE GLAD IT HAPPENS IN THAT ORDER!"

Yeah, things get kind of rough. There are morons out there. 50% of everybody is below average, but 50% of everybody is above.

If(Glass.status == full.half or Glass.status == empty.half)
{
system.out("Who cares, it tastes good!");
}
New I wish you well.
Nobody said it would be easy - being smarter than your average cocker spaniel, in a society that isn't, much. You've got the smarts and, I think - the guts. You could cancel out a lotta dumbth, if you will..

Yes you have a nuance detector; be nice to use it on other folk too, sometimes.

Get well.

Ashton
New I've had days like that.
Hell, I've had years like that.

Beware: if you blame God for how man turned out, you might later have kids that grow up to disappoint you, and end up regretting your harsh words.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Which kind of remark strongly suggests
that your sole interest in collecting 'information' about how, possibly (the universe works?) is for the same banal reason that many so-called 'professionals' collect: attribution that "one has collected all the lore". Ego aggrandizement for short.

Rather than alter your behavior in the light of new knowledge, you will simply interpret in the same old way and, as with the silly person who travels - without broadening any horizons. For such a one,

..travel merely equips him to abound in absurdities, most often - stridently. Or? everywhere you go: there you are.

In case you haven't noticed yet - all collections of 'intellectual data' aren't worth a bucket of warm spit sans the discrimination to notice where they don't apply, or to notice times when no one has asked the question You want to 'answer' (as with those assholes who will ring your doorbell so as to straighten out your understanding of life and stuff, never noticing how full of shit is their own rote spoon-fed fourth-hand perception..)

Erwache!

A.
never mind
New There are some people too stupid to live.
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Now, now. ...
We regulars should know by now that deSitter goes through cycles here. Sometimes he's quite jovial and interesing. Sometimes he's quite angry at everyone. This has happened many times here and on ezBoard that I recall.

He's in his angry mode now.

Don't feed his anger. Let it pass is the best approach, IMO.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You Bet I'm Angry
Having my apartment cleaned out by theives and losing literally years of work on my cheap, password protected, unusable to anyone but me computer didn't improve my attitude about the scum-foam of people that blanket the planet.

Yes, I kept backups. They were in my zipdrive. They took that too.

And to Ashton, you have no idea what you are talking about. I see more "nuances" than I care to. Come off your pedestal. I'm down here in the shit of reality, out on the weekend, trying to make it work.

Think I'll go get drunk. That usually helps.
New Sorry about your loss.
It must be very painful.

I guess I just don't understand how anger at one particular thing can cause you (, and some other people I know,) to take that anger out on people who have nothing to do with that which hurt you.

I'm very angry that my next door neighbor was killed at the Pentagon on 9/11. But that doesn't mean I transfer that anger to people I have a disagreement with.

I hope you find a way to recover/recreate your work. And I hope you find a way to manage your anger better. Sincerely.

Cheers,
Scott.
     According to a Russian TV correspondent in Pakistan... - (Arkadiy) - (76)
         Indeed - (deSitter) - (75)
             Speaking of the Times of India - (Ric Locke) - (64)
                 Good Sites on Pakistan History, Culture, Politics - (deSitter) - (2)
                     one out of 2 aint bad :) -NT - (boxley)
                     one out of 2 aint bad :) -NT - (boxley)
                 More Good Stuff - (deSitter) - (59)
                     Re: Great Source - more on next trouble spot - Indonesia - (dmarker2) - (58)
                         Re: Additional perspective on Indonesia from US sources - (dmarker2) - (57)
                             Trying to discover an overview is rarely successful during, - (Ashton) - (56)
                                 I'll try... - (screamer) - (55)
                                     Perhaps begs the question (?) - (Ashton) - (54)
                                         You, a fatalist? I never would have guessed... - (screamer) - (53)
                                             Life is a fatal condition - (Ashton) - (52)
                                                 That, my friend, is the million dollar question... - (screamer) - (51)
                                                     Well.. OK just so long as - (Ashton) - (50)
                                                         In the final analysis, at this particular point in - (screamer) - (49)
                                                             As said: as a tactic, prolly necessary a bit, such as we are - (Ashton) - (48)
                                                                 What you said. - (inthane-chan) - (47)
                                                                     Nietzsche also believed in superman... - (screamer) - (46)
                                                                         I doubt he believed in Superman... - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                                                                             Couple of factual points.... - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                 Hitler not threatening? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                     It's Laughable, Isn't it? - (deSitter)
                                                                                     Not to the US culture, no. - (addison) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Not to the US culture, no. - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Guess I'm demonizing myself as well... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                                     Its all context. - (addison)
                                                                             I'm only gonna say this once... - (screamer)
                                                                             As a matter of fact, it *is* on the line. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                                 Not on theirs. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                         No He Didn't - (deSitter) - (34)
                                                                             Yo, Ubermenschkopf, do you have a clue? - (screamer) - (33)
                                                                                 Pitiful - (deSitter) - (32)
                                                                                     Fair enough... - (screamer) - (31)
                                                                                         I Have Gained My Religion - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                             I wish I had the answers... - (screamer) - (3)
                                                                                                 Likely a wise decision re nihilism.. and other -isms. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                     Extremes/Extremists get the most attention - (Steven A S) - (1)
                                                                                                         Thou sayest: so long as the noise drowns out the wise(r) :[ -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                         Ah, thanks... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                             The taaaaglinnnnnnnnneeeeee...... - (screamer)
                                                                                         Thanks Dan for turning into an incognito asshole - (deSitter) - (23)
                                                                                             Wow. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                             Now it's gettin personal... - (screamer) - (16)
                                                                                                 I don't get it, Dan - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                                                     I think you do know... - (screamer)
                                                                                                     OK, sorry... - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                                                                         Yup. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                                                             Which kind'a proves two things. No, three: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                                                 I don't think deSitter had malice a-forethought. Forgetful? -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                 less see according to psych 101 and posts here n there - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Agreed. Pity that he didn't mention this last ugly event - (Ashton)
                                                                                                         Barb? - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Really? - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                                                                     Please... - (screamer) - (5)
                                                                                                         Too Many Scars - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                                             Friends will be here if you change your mind. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Wot 'e said. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                             I wish you well. - (Ashton)
                                                                                                             I've had days like that. - (marlowe)
                                                                                             Which kind of remark strongly suggests - (Ashton)
                                                                                             There are some people too stupid to live. -NT - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                                                 Now, now. ... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                                     You Bet I'm Angry - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                         Sorry about your loss. - (Another Scott)
                 Re: A worrying part of the attack - the casualty reports ... - (dmarker2)
             Re: Certainly a big worry ... Pakis in awful position ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Side note - (pwhysall)
             Re: Indeed - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                 Nope - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Low maybe... - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Impossible - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Re: Impossible - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Oops...you're right...my thinking was B1B -NT - (bepatient)
                     True. On the other hand . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Who has "air forse or significant SAM capability" ... - (Arkadiy)

Ha, he spelled "pusillanimous" wrong!
259 ms