IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: toys, toys, toys...
Are you using J2EE clustering?

We're trying to decide if it makes sense right now.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
I was thinking about that - at Mastercard we had some primitive system level thing that was half in the Java world and half in the daemon world, that diviied up the E10000 processors for the bloated threads of the massive Java app we were running - I wasn't privileged enough to know all the details..I do remember that clustering was in what I considered to be an amazingly primitive state compared to how it worked on DEC equipment. I did the failover clustering and it was a mess - the actual process level clustering was probably even more of a mess. (circa 2001)
-drl
New J2EE Clustering...
...we already cluster/mirror at the server and database levels for both fail over and load balancing between physical locations. We're just starting down the path of J2EE clustering and I've just completed a stage 1 proof of concept of this with success. I have two projects in queue that require J2EE clustering, but am far from reaching production. Can keep you posted as we implement...

-Slugbug
Depends upon what you mean by clustering. There's the physical side of it, such as vertical scaling (multiple app servers running on the same "big" box), or horizontal scaling (multiple app servers, each running on their own box). There's the poor man's clustering, where a simple load balancer (hardware or software) up front forwards the request to a different node in the "cluster" (and uses things such as sticky IP, etc. to keep sending the same user back to the same server). There's app server clustering, where sessions are distributed (for failover), and the "front-end" is smart enough to do a little load balancing, etc. (most of the big guys do this, such as WebSphere, WebLogic, etc.).

I've done at least a little work with all types (in a J2EE environment). Of course, if you mean, specifically, EJBs in a clustered environment, then it depends upon other things, as well (how many databases, the use of stateful session beans, transactional setup, etc.).

Dan
     Re: toys, toys, toys... - (admin) - (3)
         Re: toys, toys, toys... - (deSitter)
         J2EE Clustering... - (slugbug)
         Re: toys, toys, toys... - (dshellman)

apt-get install ifs-driver^W^Wkobodeluxe
83 ms