IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Angsty female singer.
Google is your friend.

I've referred to her as the only artist I know of who can use a piano as an offensive weapon.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I find her rather scary.
She is a pastor's daughter, but she doesn't accept Christianity. I have an interview in a music mag somewhere where she admits the song "Icicle Icicle" is about masturbating in a church prayer room.

What was scarier is that I knew a pastor's daughter whose favourite singer was Tori Amos.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Gotta remember yer Freud
(more popular - but Jung's smarter)

Have to symbolically kill the parents ! in order to grow. (or you end up bein a CPA er Chartered Accountant)
Besides.. angst in the young - beats ennui or mindless conformity, no?

:-\ufffd

(Expect offspring of religious-atheists to spawn Fundamentalists of some stripe ;-)
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Oct. 9, 2001, 04:40:17 AM EDT
New I have respect for Tori
(Amos, not necessarily Spelling!)... and that's irrespective of the whole rejected Christianity thing, which I only learnt in that there post up there.

I'm not a huge fan of her music but I love her take on 'Smells like Teen Spirit'. She has a talent for turning a song on its head. I'm kinda tempted to get her 'Strange Little Girls' album of cover versions (or interpretations, or call it what you will).

I read somewhere else that she gave birth to her kid after 3 or so miscarriages. Like, whoa, no idea what it would be like to go through such a thing, so more power to her, I say.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New No opinion on her work - no exposure.
(Maybe will try to catch a song or two, and see)
but she sounds like my kinda gal - doesn't allow folks to staple some canned philosophy to her nose, discovers her own.

(and look at all the freeze-dried Guilt she doesn't have to eat!)

:-\ufffd
New Yep.
That is indeed what Icicle Icicle is about.

She is scary - she is a woman imbued with power. I saw her in concert once - unfortunately, it was during her attempt to become more "mainstream," so I didn't get much of the "girl and her piano" attitude that comes through on her earlier albums. Still, the amount of energy that she exuded was VERY large.

Her music in part is about betrayal by the father/male figures in her life - whether or not this is deserved I cannot say, because I don't know her full life story. Still, she often nail.head.hits on a regular basis - the songs "Precious Things" and "Crucify Me" are excellent examples of the myriad little ways we betray ourselves and set ourselves up for failure. She strikes me as somebody who can see through a lot of bullshit, and can yell out for everybody to hear, "Hey, this is bullshit!" but doesn't quite know what to do after that.

In that way, she's a lot like me.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Another one is Jewel
The songs that make the top 50 are catchy and dancable. Until you listen to the words. My lord, that woman hasn't sung a cheery song ever. Everything is angst and abandonment.
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New yeah, uh huh...
always reminds me of [link|http://www.stormpages.com/lyrics/text/infinity.html#9|"Just Let Me Breathe"] from Dream Theater

The big machines take care of you
Until you kill yourself
And then the sales go through the roof
Calculated, formulated
Feed my head with simple thoughts
And let me breathe instead of being taught
All bottled up and tearing at the seams
I'm bored
Just let me breathe

A daily dose of eMpTyV
Will flush your mind right down the drain
Shannon Hoon and Kurt Cobain,
Make yourself a household name, yeah-yeah
Yeah

Just close your mind
You can find all you need with your eyes

Strike up your best angst ridden posture, whoa
Manufactured anger
Let's not forget my legacy
All my heroes have failed me
Now they're dead and buried, yeah

The big machines will take care of you
Until the fashion fades
And the checks go through
My bankroll's red
And my face is blue
And still they'll turn their backs on me for someone new
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Heh.. an analogous review\ufffd
That is, from an anthology of er 'dystopias' from '73 entitled, Science Fiction and the New Dark Age - a capsule quote from Damon Knight's 1955, Hell's Pavement. Prescient?
PARSIMONY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL . . . WEAR IT OUT; TRADE IT IN; USE IT UP; BUY AGAIN.

WHY AM I LUCKY TO BE A CONSUMER?

Because all of my needs are given, and all I have to do is work and enjoy myself.

WHY CAN'T EVERYBODY BE A CONSUMER?

Life has different jobs for each of us to do. For the Consumer, to work and be happy; for the Stockholder and the Executive, to worry and plan. "Life must love the Consumers, for it makes so many of them."

Then of course there was, A Boy and His Dog (Harlan Ellison), to prepare us all for the post bin-Laden, er Final Solution of 2010 (??)
New A reference?
Then of course there was, A Boy and His Dog (Harlan Ellison)

What [link|http://www.badmovies.org/movies/boyanddog/index.html|that] the [link|http://us.imdb.com/Title?0072730|one] starring Don Johnson?
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New That be it. Twas a book first, natch..
Apropos of the story:

Remember the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists clock?
Well, today it's holding at

[link|http://www.bullatomsci.org/|10 minutes before Noon..]

Haven't looked in a long time; thought it was reset to -15 minutes after USSR wasn't (?)
IIRC it made -2 minutes or closer, in October 1962.
I look for another move, shortly after the Next attack in US.
New hack,gag,puke, skank wannabee
luckily the skank in chief doesnt allow people with less cellulite to visit the head noser:)
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Calling it as it is.
She strikes me as somebody who can see through a lot of bullshit, and can yell out for everybody to hear, "Hey, this is bullshit!" but doesn't quite know what to do after that.

That's one reason I tend to prefer [link|http://www.ac.biola.edu/~don/steve_taylor/|Steve Taylor] and [link|http://www.paulcolmantrio.com/|Paul Colman].

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Outlook
(no not Microsoft)

I guess one person's truth is another person's bullshit. Hence the wonderful old saying 'To each his own...' (to which I subscribe)
On and on and on and on,
New Which of course....
...invalidates admiring a person because they stand up and say "this is BS" because it's only BS to them and not in any real sense to possibly anyone else and if you admire them for their stand all you are doing is reaffirming your own thoughts about what is BS.
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Serves me right for trying to be tactful I guess.
On and on and on and on,
     To the tune of "Cornflake Girl" - (marlowe) - (23)
         More of a "Waitress Song" person myself... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             I never understood that song. - (marlowe) - (2)
                 Never mind. Think I found her. - (marlowe)
                 Serious? - (inthane-chan)
         Who/what is cornflake girl? -NT - (wharris2) - (18)
             Tori Amos song. - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                 Who's Tori Amos? -NT - (Ashton) - (16)
                     Angsty female singer. - (inthane-chan) - (15)
                         I find her rather scary. - (static) - (14)
                             Gotta remember yer Freud - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 I have respect for Tori - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                     No opinion on her work - no exposure. - (Ashton)
                             Yep. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                                 Another one is Jewel - (wharris2) - (5)
                                     yeah, uh huh... - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                         Heh.. an analogous review\ufffd - (Ashton) - (2)
                                             A reference? - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                 That be it. Twas a book first, natch.. - (Ashton)
                                     hack,gag,puke, skank wannabee - (boxley)
                                 Calling it as it is. - (static) - (3)
                                     Outlook - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                         Which of course.... - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                             Serves me right for trying to be tactful I guess. -NT - (Meerkat)

Camptown ladies never sang all the doo dah day. No, no, no.
118 ms