IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New not clear on environment of this thing
"a calculation may happen hundreds of times every second"

I wasn't sure this meant it needed "real-time" response or not. Is it a large batch job, or something like real-time image recognition?

Most desktop DB engines cache a lot of stuff in RAM, I would note. It only starts to becomes disk intensive when it runs out of available RAM and can't use indexes nor the natural order of rows that fit the grain of requests. But, at least it does not crash at that point.

Does he need something that "degrades gracefully", or is it predictable-speed-or-bust?
They are planets - a lot of them might be moving around at once, and you might have several simulations going at once. Every planet needs a separate set of table of sines and cosines as functions of time for each instance. You don't want to recalculate these tables constantly, rather caclulate them for two times that are "close" with respect to the approximation and then linearly interpolate them, which is much faster than doing 31*19 sines and cosines for every planet and then slogging through a perturbation table with hundreds of coefficients.

So Todd's idea was the best one, you create a pool of tables and then leave them lying around until memory needs to be reclaimed for whatever reason. This is a middle ground between just hogging a buttload of memory with static tables vs. mallocing and freeing them over and over again.

The perturbation tables come from a spectral analysis of the output of JPL's DE404 numerical integration of the Solar System - so they are extremely accurate over a specific interval. 1/4 to 1/2 second of arc in 4500 years is realistic, even for Pluto. (It's an amazing thought that the exact details of the motion of the Earth, Moon and planets over a 4500 year interval can be modeled in a few hundred K of C code.)

-drl
New You'll have to wait 4500 yrs to know if you did it right :-)
         Why is simultaneous access a problem? -NT - (static)
         I echo the question of the other respondents: - (jb4) - (1)
             Re: I echo the question of the other respondents: - (deSitter)
         I vote for option 4 - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re: I vote for option 4 - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Split the two functions - (boxley)
         Dammit, use relational tables - (tablizer) - (4)
             Again, read the problem description. - (admin) - (3)
                 not clear on environment of this thing - (tablizer) - (2)
                     Re: not clear on environment of this thing - (deSitter) - (1)
                         You'll have to wait 4500 yrs to know if you did it right :-) -NT - (tablizer)

This is Helena.
135 ms