IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not silly at all
Farming is production. Finance is not. If everyone is a farmer, you have a viable economy. If everyone is a financier, you don't.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New If everyone is a farmer, you do not have a viable economy
The "why" is left as an exercise for the reader's brain.
--

OK, George W. is deceptive to be sure. Dissembling, too. And let's not forget deceitful. He is lacking veracity and frankness, and void of sooth, though seemingly sincere in his proclivity for pretense. But he did not lie.
[link|http://www.jointhebushwhackers.com/not_a_liar.cfm|Brian Wimer]
New True, but they can all eat
===

New Um, how?
I think I understand what you're trying to get at (there are unproductive uses of financial assets), but your analogy doesn't work, IMO.

There are too many people in the world for everyone to grow their own food - enough food for year-round survival. Cities would have to be depopulated. Pol Pot would be happy, but few others. Who would produce the fertilizer, farm equipment, diesel fuel to run the tractors, etc., etc.?

There has to be a way for capital to move in the modern economy. Even if derivatives and the like don't have an obvious direct impact on production of goods and services, they do help spread risk. And risk is the monster hidden in the closet in most economic decisions (always in the background).

Of course, abuses in the system should be removed.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Who said it had to look like the current one?
Cities would have to be depopulated.
Cities can only exist with a more-advanced economy than that in a purely agrarian society. So yes, financing is a necessary part of a modern economy. But I still say it is possible to have a society without financiers, but you can't have a society without producers. To say that there is no distinction between the two (which is what I proposed the analogy to refute) is wrong.
===

New Nope, the brain is otherwise occupied, I guess
What you get that way is not a sustainable economy, but a sustainable ecology. All of them who do not die of starvation, diseases, exposure and predators can certainly eat. In a good year.
--

OK, George W. is deceptive to be sure. Dissembling, too. And let's not forget deceitful. He is lacking veracity and frankness, and void of sooth, though seemingly sincere in his proclivity for pretense. But he did not lie.
[link|http://www.jointhebushwhackers.com/not_a_liar.cfm|Brian Wimer]
     Wealth & Democracy - Paging Ben Tilly. - (inthane-chan) - (14)
         Re: Wealth & Democracy - Paging Ben Tilly. - (deSitter) - (10)
             Re: Wealth & Democracy - Paging Ben Tilly. - (neelk) - (9)
                 Not silly at all - (drewk) - (5)
                     If everyone is a farmer, you do not have a viable economy - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                         True, but they can all eat -NT - (drewk) - (3)
                             Um, how? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Who said it had to look like the current one? - (drewk)
                             Nope, the brain is otherwise occupied, I guess - (Arkadiy)
                 What you're missing.... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Re: What you're missing.... - (neelk) - (1)
                         Yes, derivatives have positives and negatives - (ben_tilly)
         Your analogy is pretty good - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Thanks, both of you. - (inthane-chan)
         analogy of todays economic climate - (boxley)

What were the skies like when you were young?
80 ms