Game Play 4 out 5
Replayablity 2 out 5
Graphics 4 out 5
Sound 3 out 5
Details 3 out 5
Fun Factor 4 out 5

I picked through the bargin bin at the game store and one of the games I grabbed was BloodRayne. It's a fun 3rd person action game, I can't really say it's 3rd person shooter because Rayne is far better at melee then shooting guns.

The game only has two real problems. The first is that the game retains the save only at the start of level/map method used in the console version. This isn't a huge problem because the maps sections are pretty small and Rayne's can heal herself just about anywhere. If they let you save anywhere, this game would probably be too easy.

The bigger problem is that the game is that it is too short. There are only 3 missions, and one of them is a short training mission. The second mission is pretty long, but the game still isn't as long as Half-life or Max Payne.

But what there is is great. The graphics are among the best I have ever seen in a 3d game, the sound is good and the combat is fun. It's the fun combat that really makes this game, hitting slow time and charging into a room full of Nazi's for some hand to hand slaughter with Rayne's massive wrist blades remains fun the whole way through the game.

The plot is somewhat boring, as stopping Nazis from getting mystical artifacts has been done to death. The plot twists are pretty predictable, and there are a few bits that just are not explained at all. But the plot is mearly an excuse for the action here, action that is well done.

One warning, this isn't a game for kids. While the first 2/3 are not too excessive, there is some stuff thrown in at the end that you might not want your kids seeing*. The violence is pretty extreme, as Rayne spends most of the game chopping up foes in melee, and the victims tend to have several points where they can be chopped up.

Still, for $20 it was a blast.

Jay

* Trying to explain why the female wild vampires have 6 nipple rings for example.