IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Developers gripe about IE standards inaction
Gee, we allow Microsoft to kill off the competition in the browser market by 'integrating' IE with Windows. Then we end up with a fat, buggy, uncompliant pile of crap that hasn't seen a significant update (feature or otherwise) in several years as the dominate browser in the world because people are so completely stupid as to believe that what came with their computer is what's best for them. Who couldn't see this kind of thing happening? Oh yeah, it was the DOJ.

[link|http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5088642.html?tag=nefd_lede|http://news.com.com/...tml?tag=nefd_lede]

Gripes have mounted recently over support in IE 6 for Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), a Web standard increasingly important to design professionals. Web developers and makers of Web authoring tools say the software giant has allowed CSS bugs to linger for years, undermining technology that promises to significantly cut corporate Web site design costs.

Seeking to goad Microsoft into action, digital document giant Adobe Systems last week unveiled a deal to bolster support for CSS in its GoLive Web authoring tool with technology from tiny Web browser maker Opera Software, whose chief technology officer first proposed CSS nine years ago. Opera maintains an active role in developing CSS through the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

But standards advocates said it was unclear whether Adobe's action could prod Microsoft into better CSS support, given the lack of browser competition.

"Because it owns the marketplace, Microsoft's under very little pressure to fix remaining IE 6 bugs," said Jeffrey Zeldman, an independent Web developer and cofounder of the Web Standards Project. "When it formed this partnership with Opera, Adobe may have wanted to light a fire under IE, but lots of people have wanted to do that and have not been able to."

Personally, I think they should STFU and suck it in. By supporting M$ tech in the first place they've helped to further the disease.
-----
Steve
New Re: suck it in.
Agree completely. Years ago Nick quoted me in his column of the print InfoWorld on this point. My contention was (and is) that people don't really care how well their computer systems work. That is what MSFT has always exploited. Personally, I think computer technology has been a net negative on society so I don't give a damn either. My rant below about J2EE is a consequence of my own view. I hate working with computers so I want to use the easiest ones I can.

So, I agree that everybody should just STFU. Who cares? How important is it? So your computer systems are compromised, so what? It's only data.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Oct. 9, 2003, 02:27:38 PM EDT
New Adobe could do a few practical things.
* They could bundle a licensed copy of Opera with GoLive. The install of it could be optional, but it could default to 'Yes.'
* They could make it *very* obvious that Opera is their Browser Of Choice: for instance, catering for IE bugs would be explicitly documented as exactly that.
* If they are indeed eating their own dogfood, then their website should target Opera with IE support as and where required. Including, perhaps, prominant "Works best in Opera!" icons.
* They could change their tech support scripts so that when people ring with GoLive rendering issues, one of the first questions is "Have you tried it in Opera?"
* They could publically lobby MacroMedia to follow suit. :-)

It's risky. Very risky. But if they really want to light a fire under Microsoft's IE division, then they have to take risks.

Wade,

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New If it's risk you want: "IE not supported" :)
John. Busy lad.
New Heh. Yes, very risky. :-)

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Developers gripe about IE standards inaction - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
         Re: suck it in. - (mmoffitt)
         Adobe could do a few practical things. - (static) - (2)
             If it's risk you want: "IE not supported" :) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Heh. Yes, very risky. :-) -NT - (static)

If nautical nonsense be what ye wish...
94 ms