IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Flash MX as rich client
In November 2002, I saw a presentation by some people who did roughly what you are suggesting. They wrote a constraint-based language (with XML and Javascript syntax, sigh) that was compiled into Flash bytecode, so that people could quickly write rich-content web apps. The guy who gave the talk made the comment that Flash is the only technology with a higher market penetration than Windows. I don't know any more than this, though, since I've never done it myself.

{rummages} Here's the URL: [link|http://www.laszlosystems.com/|http://www.laszlosystems.com/]
New <Gross>
-drl
New I wondered how they were doing that
But it appears to be possible to write full blown applications that talk to databases and use web services from Flash MX Professional. IOW, Flash itself is turning into a smart client with great presentation capabilities.

I'm looking for someone who has done one of these.

In Java, you can't escape the creepy feeling.

--James Gosling
New I'd be interested as well
But I've never gotten the time to do much investigation - my trial period keeps running out before I do much with it. :-)

Edit: Never mind. I see how they're doing it in Lazlo. It's client driven using datasets that poll a server page as an xml datasource. I assume events can be used to update the data. Looks interesting.
Expand Edited by ChrisR Oct. 3, 2003, 12:59:50 PM EDT
New I've ordered some books
They should arrive next week. I'm thinking of getting into kiosk development as a business.

--James Gosling
New Re: I've ordered some books
Just a ping, to let you know that I'm interested in what you find out about this subject.
New kiosk development? Give viewtouch a call
POS, Kiosk. not a lot of difference.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New I've done some work..
With a local (Louisville, CO) kiosk builder, even interviewed for a job there once.

Basically, all they do is package Dell Windows PCs in a fancy box and add some hardware, like a mag card reader. Software is supplied by the customer.

They're making a killing, largest Kiosk supplier in the world (self-claimed, haven't verified that).

I've had the thought that kiosk-centric hardware (even if the customer demanded a Windows solution) would make a better, more cost effective solution than a Generic PC, especially if there's no hard disk.

Box is right, this line of thinking would be great in the POS world as well. These type of industries are stuck in the mode of using a complete computer where a device is probably better suited to the task.

-----
Steve
New Who is it?

--James Gosling
New Re: Who is it?
[link|http://www.kis-kiosk.com|http://www.kis-kiosk.com]

KIS - Kiosk Information Systems

site is completely flash
-----
Steve
     Flash MX as rich client - (tuberculosis) - (11)
         Re: Flash MX as rich client - (neelk) - (9)
             <Gross> -NT - (deSitter)
             I wondered how they were doing that - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                 I'd be interested as well - (ChrisR) - (6)
                     I've ordered some books - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                         Re: I've ordered some books - (neelk)
                         kiosk development? Give viewtouch a call - (boxley)
                         I've done some work.. - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                             Who is it? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Re: Who is it? - (Steve Lowe)
         My boss brought this up today - (SpiceWare)

They're the very devil to clean out of the radiator.
85 ms