IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't recall if there's a tutorial
But the Northwind database is the demo that's fair game to do whatever you feel like experimenting with.

Personally, I think you're better off starting from scratch. Create a couple of tables. Populate them with a couple of rows. And then muck with them in the queries and reports. Also, be aware that there are multiple levels from the programming standpoint. On the one level you have tables/queries/reports. The next level is macros. Finally, there's VBScript. Don't get lost in the higher levels before you're done with the basics.
New Re: Don't recall if there's a tutorial
But the Northwind database is the demo that's fair game to do whatever you feel like experimenting with.

Hmmm demo, you mean it's already somewhere in Office 97? I should point out I have Office 97.

Personally, I think you're better off starting from scratch. Create a couple of tables. Populate them with a couple of rows. And then muck with them in the queries and reports. Also, be aware that there are multiple levels from the programming standpoint. On the one level you have tables/queries/reports. The next level is macros. Finally, there's VBScript. Don't get lost in the higher levels before you're done with the basics.

Ok, so you think that's a better idea than working with a table with say, 1,100+ entries? That's the only table/database I have created.

I think she wants tables/queries/reports, unless merging and export/import goes up to one of those next levels.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New Part of Office Pro
When you install Access, it usually asks something along the lines of installing the sample Northwind database.

Ok, so you think that's a better idea than working with a table with say, 1,100+ entries? That's the only table/database I have created.
If you already have the data in a table, then run with it. Since you're familiar with the data, it will make working with it easier to understand the manipulation.

New Re: Part of Office Pro
Okay, we obviously didn't install the Northwind Database, so we are gonna consider dealing with that this weekend. We also didn't install other things about Access. I think I have a bare bones concept for it because when we tried to do an analyze option or something, it said to install such and such.

When we first put Office 97 on here, I only wanted the basics, in fact, we didn't even install Outlook or Power point, to my knowledge.

So we have a little adding to do. ;)

I'm also trying to come up with the book "Access 97, Complete Concepts and Techniques" from the Shelly Cashman series. I have the Excel one and it is the BEST book I've used to help me with Excel. Barnes and Noble has it for half price, so we'll consider buying it if I get the job. The other two books I have are less visual, and visual is what helps me the most

So I'll work with my critter database also, but it would probably be a good idea to get the Northwind one... or something else so I can try this multiple tables in a database thing.

One more question... I have an extensive Address list in Word, can it be imported into Access and worked with as a Data Base? Address lists seem to be one of the biggest things people work with.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New Word to Access
Depends on how you entered the data. If it is a fixed width record with the address like this:

Joe Jones 1234 Main Street St. Louis Mo. 63101 314-555-1212

You could save it as a text file and import it into Access as long as the data lined up.

But if you entered them like this:

Joe Jones
1234 Main Street
St. Louis, Mo 63101
314-555-1212

Chances are it won't line up. You'd have to copy and paste it into a format that Access can read, or copy and paste each bit of info into a table field row.

You might have to copy and paste them into a format like this:

"Joe Jones", "1234 Main Street", "St. Louis", "Mo", "63031", "314-555-1212"

Then save it as a text file with an extension of CSV for comma seperated values.

Now I'm not 100% sure because I haven't done it in a while, but if your addresses are in a Word table, you might be able to export it to an Excel spreadsheet and then import that into Access.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Is there some sort of tutorial disk for Access? - (Nightowl) - (31)
         Okay, first question... :) - (Nightowl) - (17)
             Table is multiple columns together as a unit - (FuManChu) - (5)
                 Re: Table is multiple columns together as a unit - (Nightowl) - (4)
                     Third normal form - (ChrisR) - (3)
                         Re: Third normal form - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             1st Normal Form - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 Re: 1st Normal Form - (Nightowl)
             Tuples - (ChrisR) - (10)
                 Re: Tuples - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     Could be - (ChrisR)
                 How come critterid isn't IDENTITY? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                     I'm of two minds on identity - (ChrisR) - (6)
                         Re: I'm of two minds on identity - (Nightowl) - (5)
                             In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                 Re: In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                     AutoNumbers not always continuous - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                             Identity being the key - (orion)
         Don't recall if there's a tutorial - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Re: Don't recall if there's a tutorial - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 Part of Office Pro - (ChrisR) - (2)
                     Re: Part of Office Pro - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Word to Access - (orion)
         Access tutorials - (orion) - (4)
             Re: Access tutorials - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Re: Access tutorials - (orion)
             It worked, Norman!! ( was Re: Access tutorials) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Glad to hear it - (orion)
         the first thing to do - (cforde) - (2)
             Better yet - (orion) - (1)
                 Not that I recommend it... - (ChrisR)

Its superficial lower whole number is belongs to us!
62 ms