IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is there some sort of tutorial disk for Access?
Wondering if there is a tutorial disk for Access? Would it be on the Office disk, or is there a general office tutorial disk I should have or can get?

My biggest problem is I have nothing to work with to try and import info with. I only have one created database, far as I know, and it's very long and complex. I wouldn't want to mess it up.

I was thinking a tutorial program would be helpful... gonna check my other books and see if they have any disks like that also.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New Okay, first question... :)
The book keeps saying the information in Access is arranged in tables. By that does it mean say, each column of the data base in the mode where you have all the columns spread across the page? That is the form I use all the time at home.

So would each column then be called a table? Example using my Critter Database: type of critter, would be a table, and description would be one? and name would be another?

If not,what do they mean by the statement that all the information is arranged in tables? If the tables aren't the columns, what would they be?

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Table is multiple columns together as a unit
Table is columns and rows, actually. Your choice to look at them as columns or as rows.

-name--id#--height\n-dave---3---6 ft\n-lois---4---5 ft 6\n-mark---9---5 ft 10

That's a table.
New Re: Table is multiple columns together as a unit
Ah ok, so my entire Database on Critters appears to be one large table.

Maybe I could make a copy of it and try working with that then? Is that a good idea? All I ever do with it is add data and search for info and print on occasion.

I need to know how to generate reports, merge, import and export.. Just not sure what information I would import or export into it.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Third normal form
Designing database tables requires somewhat an understanding of Third Normal Form. But since most of the Access databases I've inherited over the ages aren't particularly normalized, that shouldn't deter you. :-)
New Re: Third normal form
Designing database tables requires somewhat an understanding of Third Normal Form. But since most of the Access databases I've inherited over the ages aren't particularly normalized, that shouldn't deter you. :-)

Great, cause I don't know what that is. I was really good at Access in 3.11 but I ran into problems getting an understanding of it in Office '97. However, I'm a determined owl and I eventually got my Win 3.11 data base converted to '97 and worked with it there.

Come to think of it... I don't remember actually "creating" one in '97, just transferring this one. Maybe I ought to start with actually trying to create one from scratch, like you suggested.

I appreciate all the help, even if I don't get this job, I have always wanted a better understanding of this program.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New 1st Normal Form
Starting from the basics, a Table is said to be in First Normal Form if the attributes are non-repeating. Taking the example of Critters, let's design a table that's not normalized. Let's say for each entry in the table, we have a list of up to three countries in which the critter is found:
\nCREATE TABLE critter(\nname         VARCHAR(80)   NOT NULL,\ndescription  VARCHAR(255)  NOT NULL,\ncountry1     CHAR(3)       NULL,\ncountry2     CHAR(3)       NULL,\ncountry3     CHAR(3)       NULL)\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Panda', 'Bear', 'PRC', 'China', NULL, NULL)\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Housefly', 'Insect', 'USA', 'MEX', 'CAN')\n

The first problem you encounter is that some animals only can be found in one place. Since you are reserving space for 3 countries, that means that any animal that can only be found in one country has two unused cells. It also means that if you want to find the animals for any particular country, you have to look in 3 seperate columns.

The second problem you have is that you've put a maximum limit on the number of countries that an animal can be found. The knee jerk reaction is to then add country4, country5,....countryn, until you've safely reserved enuf columns to cover what you think will be the maximum ever required (which only compounds the first problem). The rule of thumb is that eventually you will stumble upon some critter that can be found in every country on the planet (the common housefly would be a good example).

To solve the problem, you normalize the table(s) so that any particular attribute is not repeated. So you might be more creative and have:
\nCREATE TABLE critter(\nname         VARCHAR(80)   NOT NULL,\ndescription  VARCHAR(255)  NOT NULL,\ncountry      CHAR(3)       NULL)\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Panda', 'Bear', 'PRC')\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Housefly', 'Insect', 'USA')\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Housefly', 'Insect', 'MEX')\nINSERT INTO critter VALUES('Housefly', 'Insect', 'CAN')\n

Not a particularly elegant solution, but you have not repeated the attributes along the columnar lines. Of course, now you have a different problem in that you have repeating data along the rows (the description of 'Insect' for the 'Housefly' is repeated 3 times). So you've really only changed the repeating of attributes from one dimesion (columnar) to another (row based). But that is the subject for 2nd Normal Form. The First Normal Form has to do with eliminating redundant columns (attributes).
Expand Edited by ChrisR Sept. 30, 2003, 07:54:34 PM EDT
Expand Edited by ChrisR Sept. 30, 2003, 08:05:35 PM EDT
New Re: 1st Normal Form
Thanks, that helped some Chris.

John explained that the reason my Critter database works as one huge table is because all the information depends on the critter name (name not type) directly. So each time I name a critter (which is the primary key), the information in the surrounding columns depends on the name. And there are no repeated column headings.

He explained that if we were say, to add address as a heading, then it would be dependent upon the location we bought the stuffed critter, (i.e. Hallmark, Nagels, etc). and that would be an example of a separate table with repeating information.

Location is already a heading, but not EXACT location, just name of store. But since there are many Hallmarks, for example, he said I could name each one with a number also, Hallmark, Vans 1, and Hallmark Vans 2, and etc.

I'm starting to get the concept... but since I worked with only this one, and it's defined as a flat file database, I hadn't done much else. John said it is an example of a flat file database however, that doesn't need to be changed, which is why it works like it does.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Tuples
A table is a logical collection of records, with the stipulation that all records within the table are identical in structure. From a SQL standpoint, your table might be defined as:
\nCREATE TABLE critter(\n   critterid    INT           NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY(CLUSTERED),\n   name         VARCHAR(80)   NOT NULL,\n   description  VARCHAR(255)  NOT NULL)\n

In this case, the table would be the critter entity, and the id/name/description would be items within the record (columns if you like). The table represents a collection of information concerning Critters.

New Re: Tuples
In this case, the table would be the critter entity, and the id/name/description would be items within the record (columns if you like). The table represents a collection of information concerning Critters.

Okay, so let me ask this then. When I sort the table, (i.e. select a column and put it in order of name, date bought, etc), is that generating a report, or is there more to it?

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Could be
Okay, so let me ask this then. When I sort the table, (i.e. select a column and put it in order of name, date bought, etc), is that generating a report, or is there more to it?
There are different forms of reports. In access, you have DataSheet views available on the Tables & Queries. You have Forms which allow you to view the data through the windows user interface. And lastly you have reports which are designed to be printed. Normally when Access users think of reports, they think of the kind that come in ready-to-print form.

New How come critterid isn't IDENTITY?
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New I'm of two minds on identity
On the one hand, identity keys are nice if you just need an auto-incrementing sequence. On the other, I find it makes imports & exports a bit more difficult. Still haven't made up my mind whether I like them or not. And given that we're moving to Oracle, I'll be stuck with using the Sequence generater that's external to the table.
New Re: I'm of two minds on identity
Hmmm is identity the primary key? In my critter database, the name of the stuffed animal is the critter ID, and that becomes the primary key. This also prevents us from ever naming two stuffed animals the same name.

Is that what you mean by identity being the key?

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber
The reference to the identity is to the SQL statement I gave abovem wherein I set aside a critterid column as an integer (seperate from the name itself). Laying out the SQL, it would be something like:
\nCREATE TABLE critter(\n   critterid    INT           NOT NULL IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY,\n   name         VARCHAR(80)   NOT NULL,\n   description  VARCHAR(255)  NOT NULL)\n

The identity would make critterid an auto-incrementing number that starts at the value of 1 and gets incremented by one everytime an row insert is done.

In terms of what you have, you've used the name as the primary key, so you don't have to worry about using an AutoNumber as the key. For simple databases, using a character field will probably be ok, but there are a number of things you have to worry about as you scale an application. First off, there is the question of efficiency. For most processors, a number is an atomic value for the cpu. Running through a table trying to find an integer value is far faster than doing lengthy string searches and comparisons.

The second problem is one of maintenance. Let's say that you at some point need to change the name. Every table that keys off the critter table uses the name as the lookup key. If you change the name in the critter table, you run into the problem that you have to change the lookup key in every table that references the critter table. Worse still, if you are enforcing referential integrity on the foreign keys, you have a chicken-egg situation - you can't change the name in the critter table because it is referenced in other tables - and you can't change the names in the other tables if that name is not already in the critter table.

Finally, there is the problem of sometimes needing duplicate names - though this is probably not a concern with you design. But let's say we were talking about the names of people. What you'll find is that there are a bunch of John Smiths. If you were to use the name as a primary key, you could not have more than one John Smith in your database. Typical response is to change to something like Social Security Numbers, which can also be a mistake since SSN's get reused.

To get around these type of issues, many database tables just use a autonumber as the primary key in the table. The downside, of course, is that the key to the data becomes just some number that has no meaning outside of the database context (though some assigned numbers do take on a life of their own).
New Re: In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber
The identity would make critterid an auto-incrementing number that starts at the value of 1 and gets incremented by one everytime an row insert is done.

Ah, ok. We have that number that increments by one every time we add a new critter, but it isn't the key. It simply keeps count for us of how many critters we own.

In terms of what you have, you've used the name as the primary key, so you don't have to worry about using an AutoNumber as the key. For simple databases, using a character field will probably be ok, but there are a number of things you have to worry about as you scale an application. First off, there is the question of efficiency. For most processors, a number is an atomic value for the cpu. Running through a table trying to find an integer value is far faster than doing lengthy string searches and comparisons.

Hmmm, all I do is sort by critter type, or critter name to match whether a name exists... is that a string search or comparison? (Need to look those up, I think).

The second problem is one of maintenance. Let's say that you at some point need to change the name. Every table that keys off the critter table uses the name as the lookup key. If you change the name in the critter table, you run into the problem that you have to change the lookup key in every table that references the critter table. Worse still, if you are enforcing referential integrity on the foreign keys, you have a chicken-egg situation - you can't change the name in the critter table because it is referenced in other tables - and you can't change the names in the other tables if that name is not already in the critter table.

Ah ok, well since there are no tables to this table, (it's all one table), I see why I don't run into the problem. I have changed names before, but it's simply a change name in the field and then it takes it and all is well.

But I see how that would get complex in the cases of databases that required duplicate names.

To get around these type of issues, many database tables just use a autonumber as the primary key in the table. The downside, of course, is that the key to the data becomes just some number that has no meaning outside of the database context (though some assigned numbers do take on a life of their own).

That's why John said my table was so smart, wow. Because every data bit in the row is dependent upon, or related to the name. Neat.

Thanks for explaining that.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New AutoNumbers not always continuous
Ah, ok. We have that number that increments by one every time we add a new critter, but it isn't the key. It simply keeps count for us of how many critters we own.
Identity columns using the AutoNumber technique have a tendency to introduce periodic gaps in the numbering. What happens is that someone will start to type in values in a new row (which will cause the sequence to increment), and then hit the Escape key to abort the insert (in database terms, a rollback is performed on the transaction). In both Access and SQLServer, the autonumbers are not reset to the previous value (meaning they are autonomous and not part of the transaction process). That number in the sequencer is basically skipped as far as the table is concerned. The only way to get it back would be to do a database repair prior to the next row insert.

Bottom line is that the maximum autonumber will not necessarily be a true indication of the count of the number of rows in the critter table.

Hmmm, all I do is sort by critter type, or critter name to match whether a name exists... is that a string search or comparison? (Need to look those up, I think).
In a larger application, you'd typically not want to use a string column as the primary key. An integer key will make the table joins much faster.

But to make the string searches faster, you might want to build an index on a string field. In Access, there is an Indexed attribute for each column you define in the Design View. Primary Keys are one form of an index. Any column (or group of columns) can participate in Indexes, in various combinations. Indexes are very important when the amount of data becomes large - I've seen queries go from not being finished after waiting an hour, to taking just a few seconds with the proper index. At any rate, indexes are a subject on to themselves.

The other problem you have, of course, is that you want to place a constraint on the name column to not allow duplicates. Primary keys have the quality that they are by definition a UNIQUE INDEX. Databases allow a unique constraint to be placed on any index of your choosing - in the Design View for Indexed you'll see the choice of "Yes (No Duplicates)".

That's why John said my table was so smart, wow. Because every data bit in the row is dependent upon, or related to the name. Neat.
Third Normal Form is sometimes expressed as:

The key; The whole key; And nothing but the key. So help me Codd. :-)
New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #119763 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119763|ICLRPD]
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Identity being the key
CritterID is a data field that not only is a primary key, but also a number which automatically increments itself for each new record. Each CritterID will be unique and always counting forwards.

There may be situations where you delete a Critter, so CritterID may not always be one number after the other. So a CritterID of 13 may not be the 13th record in the database if Critters before it got deleted. It just holds a value of 13, which is unique to that Critter record. No other Criter may have that CritterID of 13, and CritterID cannot be blank or nothing, it has to be a valid number. These are characteristics of a Primary Key with an AutoNumber property. Some databases call the AutoNumber an Identity, it is basically the same thing.

You can later create a CritterShelf table having a ShelfID, and a CritterID field that goes back to the Critter table and ShelfID going back to Shelf. Matching the CritterID in CritterShelf to a CritterID in Critters will tell you which Shelf the Critter is on. This is called a Foreign Key, also may be called an External Key. When you place a Critter on a shelf, you have the database copy the CritterID from Critter and put it into CritterShelf using the correct ShelfID and the CritterID of the Critter you are moving. Critter and CritterShelf tables are linked by CritterID in both tables. CritterID is an Autonumber in Critter, but not in CritterShelf. This is because CritterShelf holds a copy of CritterID and doesn't need the AutoNumber property. It has to match a CritterID in Critter. It is Indexed, but not a Primary Key in CritterShelf, because it is a Foreign Key pointing to Critter and CritterID in that table.

If you enforce Referencial Integrity between Critter and CritterShelf, then when you delete a Critter, the matching record in CritterShelf gets deleted too for that CritterID you are deleting. Because if you get rid of a critter it no longer is on a shelf.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Don't recall if there's a tutorial
But the Northwind database is the demo that's fair game to do whatever you feel like experimenting with.

Personally, I think you're better off starting from scratch. Create a couple of tables. Populate them with a couple of rows. And then muck with them in the queries and reports. Also, be aware that there are multiple levels from the programming standpoint. On the one level you have tables/queries/reports. The next level is macros. Finally, there's VBScript. Don't get lost in the higher levels before you're done with the basics.
New Re: Don't recall if there's a tutorial
But the Northwind database is the demo that's fair game to do whatever you feel like experimenting with.

Hmmm demo, you mean it's already somewhere in Office 97? I should point out I have Office 97.

Personally, I think you're better off starting from scratch. Create a couple of tables. Populate them with a couple of rows. And then muck with them in the queries and reports. Also, be aware that there are multiple levels from the programming standpoint. On the one level you have tables/queries/reports. The next level is macros. Finally, there's VBScript. Don't get lost in the higher levels before you're done with the basics.

Ok, so you think that's a better idea than working with a table with say, 1,100+ entries? That's the only table/database I have created.

I think she wants tables/queries/reports, unless merging and export/import goes up to one of those next levels.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Part of Office Pro
When you install Access, it usually asks something along the lines of installing the sample Northwind database.

Ok, so you think that's a better idea than working with a table with say, 1,100+ entries? That's the only table/database I have created.
If you already have the data in a table, then run with it. Since you're familiar with the data, it will make working with it easier to understand the manipulation.

New Re: Part of Office Pro
Okay, we obviously didn't install the Northwind Database, so we are gonna consider dealing with that this weekend. We also didn't install other things about Access. I think I have a bare bones concept for it because when we tried to do an analyze option or something, it said to install such and such.

When we first put Office 97 on here, I only wanted the basics, in fact, we didn't even install Outlook or Power point, to my knowledge.

So we have a little adding to do. ;)

I'm also trying to come up with the book "Access 97, Complete Concepts and Techniques" from the Shelly Cashman series. I have the Excel one and it is the BEST book I've used to help me with Excel. Barnes and Noble has it for half price, so we'll consider buying it if I get the job. The other two books I have are less visual, and visual is what helps me the most

So I'll work with my critter database also, but it would probably be a good idea to get the Northwind one... or something else so I can try this multiple tables in a database thing.

One more question... I have an extensive Address list in Word, can it be imported into Access and worked with as a Data Base? Address lists seem to be one of the biggest things people work with.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Word to Access
Depends on how you entered the data. If it is a fixed width record with the address like this:

Joe Jones 1234 Main Street St. Louis Mo. 63101 314-555-1212

You could save it as a text file and import it into Access as long as the data lined up.

But if you entered them like this:

Joe Jones
1234 Main Street
St. Louis, Mo 63101
314-555-1212

Chances are it won't line up. You'd have to copy and paste it into a format that Access can read, or copy and paste each bit of info into a table field row.

You might have to copy and paste them into a format like this:

"Joe Jones", "1234 Main Street", "St. Louis", "Mo", "63031", "314-555-1212"

Then save it as a text file with an extension of CSV for comma seperated values.

Now I'm not 100% sure because I haven't done it in a while, but if your addresses are in a Word table, you might be able to export it to an Excel spreadsheet and then import that into Access.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Access tutorials
As was stated there is a Demo database called Northwinds. It comes with Access and you might have to install it from the setup to get it. Complete database for a fictacious company called Northwinds that Microsoft made as an example.

If I still had Access 97 installed, I'd create a database for you to use that was a lot simpler. I have Access 2000 and Access 97 cannot read that format.

Some things to remember:

Columns are pieces of information in a table. Think of the database as a Spreadsheet, in a Spreadsheet you store your data in Columns going left to right on the Spreadsheet. In a way Excel is like a database too. On Column "A" on your spreadsheet is Sales, on Column "B" is Quanity, and in Column "C" is the Customer Name who bought it. Each line in the spreadsheet is a number, goes for 101 rows. A1 contains the name "Sales", B1 contains the name "Quanity", and C1 contains the name "Customer". You might say that these are the names of the columns. A2 to A101 contains all of the sales, and look, the quantiy of the sales is in the same row number as the amount of the sales and customer name too. So B2 to B101 has the Quanity, and C2 to C101 has the Customer name. We can make a D column for total sales and make it equal to A times B, so D2 would equal A2 times B2, etc.

Ok now you know how a Spreadsheet database works. Let's create a database in Access. We have three columns, "Sales", "Quanity", and "Customer". Access is a little more picky than Excel and wants you to create the definition of these columns in a table. We just have to pick the right data type.

So we start up Access, it asks us which file to open, we'll choose "Blank Database" name it Sales.mdb, save it in C:\\DATA\\ so we can load it later. Mdb is the file extension Access uses for databases, Microsoft Data Base. Ok you should have a Window that says "Database" on it. Make sure that you've selected "Tables" on it, this is where we shall store our data in column names. But first we must create the table so Access knows where to put it. Click on the "New" button. The "New Table" window pops up. Click on "Design View" because we want to design a table. Now click on the "OK" button. Now you should see a grid that looks a bit like a spreadsheet. "Field Name" is the column name for the item in the table, "Data Type" is the type of data we want to store, and of course comments are there for in case we forget what we are using this for later.
Ok on the first row, enter "Sales" for the "Field Name", Click on Data Type it should have a drop down box. Pick "Number" because we are dealing with numbers here. Notice at the bottom of the Window that a "General" tab appeared and shows more info. Access wants to know what specific number we want to store. It defaults to Long Integers, but sales are in dollar amounts. It can have cents, so we want a decimal place, which rules out Integers. We need real numbers, either a Single or Double. Double is needed in case sales are really large numbers. So on "Field Size" click on the box and select "Double". Ok we created the first Column, seems easy enough. Now we need to do the same thing for Quanity and Customer. So click on the next row, and under "Field Name" put Quanity. For "Data Type" choose Long Integer because quanities are not fractions, and someone could make a huge purchase. Next row, under "Field Name" put "Customer", and in "Data Type" put "Text" because a customer's name is text after all. Under "Field Size" see that it defaults to 50, maybe someone has a long name, let's make it 100. Ok at this point you can either hit the "Diskette" looking button to save, or do a "File" menu and choose "Save" or Control-S, whatever floats your boat. Save the table. You should see a "Save As" window, it asks for a name. Let's give it one, name it "Orders". Ok now Access is squaking about no Primary Key is defined, don't panic, it isn't needed in this example. We can always add one later when we link up tables, but that is for a more advanced lession. So answer "no" and save it. Ok now close out the table window that has our definition on it, we just saved it. Now in the "Database" window you should see a table named "Orders". We've just created it. You can open it by double clicking on it, and then enter the data directly into the table. You can enter some values if you want, not really important.

Now let's go to Excel and create an Orders.xls spreadsheet.

Run Excel, in a blank spreadsheet type into A1 the word "Sales", B1 the word
"Quanity", and in C1 the word "Customer". Now in A2 enter a number, in B2 enter another number, and in C2 a name. Repeat this for however long you want to do it, you are now entering data into an Excel spreadsheet. After you are done we can import this Spreadsheet into our Access table easy peasy. Save the file as "C:\\Data\\Orders.xls". Go back to Access.

Ok in Access load the orders.mdb file. Under "File" choose "Get External Data" and then choose "Import", Access 97 may be different I am using Access 2000 here and it is set up like that. If that isn't it, look around for an "Import" or "Get External Data" command from the other menus. Ok once you've found the "Import" command, it will ask you for a file type. Choose "Microsoft Excel *.xls" and then select C:\\Data\\Orders.xls now it will ask you about Worksheets and how they are arranged. Choose "Show Worksheet" and chose "Sheet1". It should show sample data. Sales first, followed by Quanity, and then Customer. Don't worry that the field names are in the data columns, we'll fix that on the next step. Click "Next". It will ask if the first row contains field names, click on that box that this is true. It will then index the data by those names. Click "Next". "Where would you like to store your data?" it asks. New Table or Existing one. Choose "Existing One" and from the drop down box choose "Orders". Click "Next". The Wizard will now verify that you want to put the data into the table named "Orders". Click "Finish". It should say "Finished Importing file 'C:\\data\\orders.xls' into table 'Orders'". Click "OK".

Now if that works, you can double click on the Orders table and see that the data is there. If so, you've just merged an Excel spreadsheet into an Access table. Wasn't so hard now was it?

Some Access tutorials:
[link|http://www.bcschools.net/staff/AccessHelp.htm|http://www.bcschools...ff/AccessHelp.htm]
[link|http://cisnet.baruch.cuny.edu/holowczak/classes/2200/access/accessall.html|http://cisnet.baruch...ss/accessall.html]
[link|http://isds.bus.lsu.edu/cvoc/learn/introit/access/|http://isds.bus.lsu....n/introit/access/]
[link|http://www.todayskills.com/msaccesstutor/msaccess.htm|http://www.todayskil...utor/msaccess.htm]
[link|http://www.aotcomputers.com/microsoft-access-up.html|http://www.aotcomput...ft-access-up.html]
[link|http://computer-training.8m.com/microsoft-access-up.html|http://computer-trai...ft-access-up.html]

New Re: Access tutorials
Thanks Norman,

I'll try that tomorrow, maybe or with John. I think I'm beyond accomplishing anything else tonight, but I appreciate the example to try and the links.

Brenda

Comment by Nightowl
New Re: Access tutorials
I kept the example as simple as possible. Enough to teach you the basics of creating a table and importing without getting into advanced topics like indexes, primary keys, and autonumber fields. It may be a poor table design, but it is easy to understand and simple for training purposes. John will be able to help if he's done Access before. Many Windows programmers have some experience with Access.

New It worked, Norman!! ( was Re: Access tutorials)
I followed all your instructions to the letter last night, and I was able to create a database table AND the Excel table and import the one into the other!

YAY!

I haven't done anything else with it today because I got a migraine from all the stress I think and I've had it all day. :(

John did order me the book, Access 97: Complete Concepts and Techniques, from the Shelly Cashman series though, and it has a disk. It should be here any day, cause he requested one day delivery.

The lady hasn't called anyway, so hopefully we're both right about me not really being ready for this intense of a job, and she sees that too.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your help and give you an update. I'll try and check out the links you gave me later when my head isn't pounding.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Glad to hear it
see, it wasn't that difficult. Now imagine you have to do that a dozen times a day or more. You are now just starting to understand, and getting ready in case they do hire you. Now you can tell her that you imported data into Access and know how to do it, and be honest about it. I'm proud of you.

New the first thing to do
is backup the data before you do anything to it. There's probably a Backup or Export option under a menu somewhere. That will make a copy of the data so that if you make a mistake you can recover using the data in that copy.

Anytime you're going to make a change (insert/update/delete/drop/alter) make sure that you can undo it by having a backup. If ever something goes wrong/unexpected happens, and it will, you will be glad to have the backup ready.

Backups are like toilet paper: lots is not a problem; not having enough is embarrasing...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New Better yet
she should copy the database file to a different name, and then work on the copy. That would be easier than learning how Access can back up tables. That way she won't lose anything, or have to learn something complex until later.

New Not that I recommend it...
...but sometimes the fastest way to learn something is to have it break - and then have to figure out how to put the pieces back together again. :-)
     Is there some sort of tutorial disk for Access? - (Nightowl) - (31)
         Okay, first question... :) - (Nightowl) - (17)
             Table is multiple columns together as a unit - (FuManChu) - (5)
                 Re: Table is multiple columns together as a unit - (Nightowl) - (4)
                     Third normal form - (ChrisR) - (3)
                         Re: Third normal form - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             1st Normal Form - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 Re: 1st Normal Form - (Nightowl)
             Tuples - (ChrisR) - (10)
                 Re: Tuples - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     Could be - (ChrisR)
                 How come critterid isn't IDENTITY? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                     I'm of two minds on identity - (ChrisR) - (6)
                         Re: I'm of two minds on identity - (Nightowl) - (5)
                             In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                 Re: In Access, Identity is an AutoNumber - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                     AutoNumbers not always continuous - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
                             Identity being the key - (orion)
         Don't recall if there's a tutorial - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Re: Don't recall if there's a tutorial - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 Part of Office Pro - (ChrisR) - (2)
                     Re: Part of Office Pro - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         Word to Access - (orion)
         Access tutorials - (orion) - (4)
             Re: Access tutorials - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Re: Access tutorials - (orion)
             It worked, Norman!! ( was Re: Access tutorials) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Glad to hear it - (orion)
         the first thing to do - (cforde) - (2)
             Better yet - (orion) - (1)
                 Not that I recommend it... - (ChrisR)

I can negate every one of your facts with unverified information I've gotten from the internet machine.
115 ms