IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Note the quotes: "ought" to.
Bending the paradigm simply makes things difficult for other programmers maintaining your code, unless it is bent the same way all the time. While I personally dislike checked exceptions - at least when required all of the time; as I mentioned it's handy sometimes to remind me what might get thrown - I've also worked with people that needed such a crutch all of the time. As a result, in mixed shops of varying ability levels, I think that people ought to use checked exceptions. They're expected, and one of the keys to maintenance-friendly programming is "do what's expected".

I've mentioned this [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=100013|before], but it bears repeating: Java is a giant compromise that allows mediocre and good programmers to co-exist without killing each other. When I'm programming for/by myself, I don't use Java, for reasons including things like checked exceptions.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Thanks
Thanks for the clarification. That's certainly a reasonable position.

In a mixed-skill shop (actually, any multi-programmer shop), I would encourage the group to establish coding standards or best practices that are reasonable and appropriate for the group. A common approach to exception handling (that addresses the checked exception issues) should be one of those practices.
--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net [link|http://onestepback.org|http://onestepback.org]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
     Checked Exceptions, Good or Bad - (bluke) - (25)
         Agreed, for the most part. - (admin) - (5)
             Checked Exceptions: A Failed Experiment - (JimWeirich) - (4)
                 Re: Checked Exceptions: A Failed Experiment - (admin) - (3)
                     Re: Checked Exceptions: A Failed Experiment - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                         Note the quotes: "ought" to. - (admin) - (1)
                             Thanks - (JimWeirich)
         Bad of course - (tuberculosis)
         Hey look - I got a new sig out of that article - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Buahahah. -NT - (admin)
         Designers should ALWAYS look for pushback - (ben_tilly) - (15)
             OT: I didn't picture you reading Cato stuff. :-) - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 I don't generally - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     I can't offer an opinion. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Cato's been mucking around since the '60s at least - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Re: Cato's been mucking around since the '60s at least - (neelk) - (1)
                                 Re: Cato's been mucking around since the '60s at least - (Ashton)
             Re: Designers should ALWAYS look for pushback - (neelk) - (8)
                 How do you do "meta" flow of control? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     Another possible solution to exceptions... - (ChrisR) - (6)
                         Not appropriate for the situation being discussed - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Actually I'm mostly interested in what... - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                 What my thinking on this is... - (ben_tilly)
                                 Re: Actually I'm mostly interested in what... - (neelk) - (2)
                                     Why not include the exception processing in the lambda? - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                         Re: Why not include the exception processing in the lambda? - (neelk)

Yeah, it was some sort of corporate sabotage.
44 ms