IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wade, others: free IE slideshow tool
I made a slideshow tool for my church for song lyrics. Feel free to use it, improve it. IE only. GPL'd.

[link|http://www.aminus.org/rbre/music/index.html|http://www.aminus.or.../music/index.html]
"There's a set of rules that anything that was in the world when you were born is normal and natural. Anything invented between when you were 15 and 35 is new and revolutionary and exciting, and you'll probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're 35 is against the natural order of things."

Douglas Adams
New This is Just way... way too cool.
Joo need any other things transcribed?

I was just thinking of buying a used projector for my church to use and was wondering about howto do just what lyrica does.

Right now we have photo copied transparencies...

Thank you Robert Brewer.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

lackey in training.
Expand Edited by folkert Sept. 15, 2003, 04:13:31 PM EDT
New De nada.
Right now we have photo copied transparencies...

Heh. We weren't *that* bad off--music director had been using an app called "Astound", which wasn't working well; the slide content basically had to be cut and pasted for each slideshow. I felt it was a silly approach when your content changes slowly, if at all. So Lyrica improves upon that approach by offering:

1. Fast slideshow compilation. Put together a slideshow from existing sources in seconds. More to the point: my director doesn't have to prepare the show at home and bring in a disk every Sunday morning.
2. Portability. You don't need a viewer other than a web browser.
3. Consistency. The old way had a real problem when you fixed a typo in one show and it didn't propagate to other shows.
4. Flexible style. The default I included is pretty basic white-on-black. The nice thing is it's completely configurable (within the boundaries of web page design). If anyone tweaks it, I'd appreciate a copy of the css so I can include it.
5. Minimal markup. You can in a pinch show the slide files on their own, one at a time.
6. Some nice hints. In my default css, for example, choruses are slightly yellow. That's gotten good feedback from the users. The first page gets a different h1 style, so the presenter can tell which slide is the first one when they navigate. In addition, pages with multiple slides get less-than and greater-than arrows at the bottom of the page so the presenter knows there are multiple slides for the same song/page.

I'm glad you got me started on that list :) Maybe I'll put it on the website.

Future:

1. I might make a tool for marking up the song files themselves.
2. It's a shame it's IE only. You can show them in Moz 1.4 if you make a slight change in the addpage() function (basically, don't remove file:///), but then you have to make slideshows by hand. I used the DOM as much as possible, but it's not enough. I'll think about it when I have time.
3. Clean things up. Nicer layout on the toolbar frame.
4. Some of the pages have CCLI license numbers on them. I should make a script that does that for me, with its own style.
5. Document it better.
"There's a set of rules that anything that was in the world when you were born is normal and natural. Anything invented between when you were 15 and 35 is new and revolutionary and exciting, and you'll probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're 35 is against the natural order of things."

Douglas Adams
New Lyrica 2.0 RC 1 is available.
I finally *officially* updated Lyrica, adding:

1. A slide editing tool
2. A stylesheet previewer
3. Help pages
4. A cleaner, more intuitive interface
5. More styles

Grab it at [link|http://www.aminus.org/rbre/music/index.html|http://www.aminus.or.../music/index.html]
Best bet is just to grab the zip (4.36 MB).
New Pretty bass...btw.
And how do you like the digitech?
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Love the pedal.
I'd been playing for about a year, year-and-a-half, and I thought to myself, "Bob, you need to get yourself something new." My first thought was either a new cab-n-head (I still have an Ampeg 115, so that didn't happen), or a fretless. My buddy convinced me to get the $100 pedal instead, and I LOVE IT. I haven't even tweaked anything on it, haven't set up any custom voices; I just run through about 20 or so "favorite" voices depending on the rundown. Schweet.

Douglas Adams
New sweet!
That thing is gorgeous :D
-----
Steve
New Thanks. Look interesting.
I'm not so closely involved with it, having moved churches, but I'll email it to the guy who does sort of look after it. He's found a shareware program specifically for songwords that is about half the price of a standalone copy of PowerPoint, though we'd still use conventional presentation graphics for a variety of things. I suggested OpenOffice.org to him :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Speaking of churches
My wife went and registered us at the one down the street yesterday. The priest asked what I do for a living. When she told him, he said that was great because their current "computer guy" just moved. She told him that I didn't really do Windows support and he told her that after getting hit by yet another virus, the last computer guy moved them to Linux about a year ago. Hmm ... maybe I will offer to help them out a bit.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New cool!
The 'computer guy' at our church is actually a FedEx pilot who thinks he knows what he's doing. 98 and XP everywhere :(
-----
Steve
New I think we'll be looking at Linux in the near future.
We have access to a lot of cheap hardware. Perfect for Linux.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Wade, others: free IE slideshow tool - (FuManChu) - (10)
         This is Just way... way too cool. - (folkert) - (2)
             De nada. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                 Lyrica 2.0 RC 1 is available. - (FuManChu)
         Pretty bass...btw. - (bepatient) - (2)
             Love the pedal. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                 sweet! - (Steve Lowe)
         Thanks. Look interesting. - (static)
         Speaking of churches - (drewk) - (2)
             cool! - (Steve Lowe)
             I think we'll be looking at Linux in the near future. - (static)

Obeying the Law of Gravity since 2001.
115 ms