IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Edward Teller 1908-2003

Edward Teller, 95, who played a key role in U.S. defense and energy policies for more than half a century and was dubbed the "father of the H-bomb" for his enthusiastic pursuit of the powerful weapon, died Tuesday.

[link|http://www.statesman.com/asection/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/news_f3e5cc6547fe816a0048.html|link]
lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New only the good die young
Be prepared! A reasonably informative obit in the NY Times ([link|http://nytimes.com/2003/09/10/obituaries/10TELL.html|http://nytimes.com/2...aries/10TELL.html]) bears the byline of science writer Walter Sullivan--who, it is mentioned at obituary's end, appears to have predeceased his subject by a full seven years.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New As you probably know, obituaries are written, filed, and...
"ready to go" on everyone of public interest. At least they would be at the NY Times. Apparently Teller hasn't done anything lately that necessitated updating his obituary.
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New written, filed, etc
I knew that--I was merely struck by the rather long interval in this instance (Charles Palliser's odd novel Betrayals begins with a posthumously published obit--interesting read, although a bit of patience is required).

cordially,
New Don't be an asshole about things you can't comprehend
He was in favor of a test - non-lethal - of the bomb over Tokyo, to put the fear of God into those fanatics.

Teller was right all down the line. He was a good man.

-drl
New off the meds again?
I personally have no special axe to grind with the late Teller, but it can be acknowledged that he was a notably contentious character, and that many who knew both men never forgave him his conduct in l'affaire Oppenheimer. As to "right all down the line," are you perhaps forgetting his role as something like the onlie true begetter of President Alzheimer's beloved SDI wetdream?

cordially,
New Odd coming from you.
He took credit for Elam's work - that which permitted 'Mike' to demonstrate the means for achieving trigger-temps (however impractical for the liq. D2 employed). He'd never have gotten to the more practicable FFF methodology of tampers, etc. - without Elam's massive [and still classified, though the fact of it is not] insight.

His remarks at the Kangaroo Court of Oppenheimer are legendary and notorious.. I have the 9xx page transcript if you want to review it. And as to motive -?- for this perfect symbolic-knifing of Oppenheimer's character and competence, via McCarthyesque innuendo du jour

- that which history never can assign with the Certainty that all fanatics imagine might exist somewhere:

He Really Wanted his own sinecure: called Livermore Now LLL (despite E O Lawrence's widow's insistence upon erasing her husband's name from that institution). Repeatedly..

In brief, I have been interested in the entire history of things since Lise Meitner's and others investigations leading to finding fission products - and what ensued. Beginning as a kid. I think I've read most of the relevant participants' books and some other documents, now quite declassified and so obtainable. Except maybe not in This Ashcroft dead-world (?)

I've worked for years around groups led by a few of the principals, been privileged to speak with them occasionally about This All - as forms my own opinion of Teller's character and his machinations re 'Power' from the first - in Oppenheimer's office at UCB. Oppenheimer hired him!

As to Teller's spoon-feeding the enile willfully-gullible Reagan Star Wars - that was an execrable anti-scientific fantasy act IMO [then as now, and for all good reasons you are fully aware of] - a stupidity haunting us right on through the brain-dead Dubya and for a while longer; entirely based upon Teller's puff-reputation and his Ego, IMhO. In my book
Teller was right all down the line. He was a good man.
could not be farther from any one - or even 15 sentence summary of his life.

Ashton
New Re: Odd coming from you.
Yeah, you're right - I just get sick of people bashing him without knowing their ass from a neutron.

As for stealing Ulam's work, that's a new one to me.

Clearly, after the days of creating the Big One, he became a caricature of himself - like all scientists who sell their souls to govt. But he was correct in the sense that the Russians were going to make a Super, and there was no choice but to make one of our own and establish a balance of terror.
-drl
New He was right - in hindsight
About the possibility. Obv.

No matter the visceral grounds for Teller's persistence - Oppie Hoped It Wouldn't Work, as would any sane person, I think.

But he was wrong, and Teller's desire to see him replaced as leader - would have been reasonable on just the grounds of a misplaced (lack of enthusiasm?)

I disliked, mistrusted hTeller for his indulgence in feeding the hysteria of the times: Oppie's naive dabbling in the theoreticals of approaches other than capitalism - were ripe for suggestibility; this despite the Haakon Chevalier matter, about which O. eventually informed Groves anyway..

Maybe disliking him for dishonorable behavior is also a luxury of mine - for while the Hearings stripped O. of all access / thus further contribution of his excellent mind for delegating tasks to 'strengths', perhaps O. could not have functioned except As Leader (?!)

So does that make Teller OK, now - however via bad juju?
(I get so confused by homo-sap machinations)

Ashton
make a lousy Judge of 'transgressions' VS 'punishments'
     Edward Teller 1908-2003 - (lincoln) - (8)
         only the good die young - (rcareaga) - (7)
             As you probably know, obituaries are written, filed, and... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 written, filed, etc - (rcareaga)
             Don't be an asshole about things you can't comprehend - (deSitter) - (4)
                 off the meds again? - (rcareaga)
                 Odd coming from you. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Re: Odd coming from you. - (deSitter) - (1)
                         He was right - in hindsight - (Ashton)

Coincidence!? YOU DECIDE!!
62 ms