IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP?
It does some odd things after returning from sleep or hibernation (reboot being the least of them). Does that shite leave any log files anywhere? This is a new computer: Asus MB (nForce), Athlon 2500+, WD 80G 7200 rpm HD, 512 Crucial 333MHz memory (-32M for onboard video). Nothing non-standard, all "Designed for XP".

I just want to know what exactly fails on restore...
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New No idea.
I usually just disable ACPI on any non-laptop.
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

Therin lies the true measure of a man.
New Re: How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP?
I've had bad luck with ACPI myself so I usually turn it off. Usually it needs drivers that support it and a BIOS that also supports it. But drivers and BIOS upgrades can be buggy themselves and be the cause of some crashes.

But here is what Microsoft says about APM/ACPI in Windows XP:
[link|http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307525|http://support.micro....com/?kbid=307525]

ACPI troubleshooting on previous Windows systems:
[link|http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips58.shtml|http://is-it-true.or...ips/atips58.shtml]

Hope that helps you somewhat.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Did you install the motherboard driver?
Especially for a system that's newer than XP, you will probably need it. Classic symptom is Windows only vaguely identifying the motherboard hardware; install the motherboard driver and all this specifcally identified stuff "miraculously" appears. Example: I have a box that can't see the AGP card or most PCI cards in Windows 2000 if I don't install the motherboard driver.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Sometimes you need the updated driver
the stock one on the CD-ROM disk is usually old and buggy. Which may be the case here. Visit the motherboard maker's web site and download the Driver and BIOS updates and apply them and see if the problem goes away.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New What he said. :-).

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP?
Are all the patches applied? There are 10s of them on some OEM XP installs.

I've never had much trouble, so no idea where to start.
-drl
New And the winner is...
After an iteration of RRR cycle, the culprit has been found.

USB 2.0 drivers for the motherboard were screwing up the suspend mode. When I do not install them, I get plain USB speed, but suspend works. TADA!
--

One Buffalo Bill
And one Biffalo Buff
New Re: And the winner is...
Interesting, similar issuen in Linux 2.4.18.

Most likely the BIOS defs are like everything else today, hopelessly muddled in rush-to-market madness. Remember when IBM sold a PC with the BIOS machine code in the appendix?
-drl
     How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP? - (Arkadiy) - (8)
         No idea. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP? - (orion)
         Did you install the motherboard driver? - (static) - (2)
             Sometimes you need the updated driver - (orion) - (1)
                 What he said. :-). -NT - (static)
         Re: How do I troubleshoot ACPI on Wind XP? - (deSitter)
         And the winner is... - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             Re: And the winner is... - (deSitter)

Do you know where your towel is?
57 ms