IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MySQL vs PostgreSQL
This is oh so timely...

We're about to start looking at ways of making a database-backed application somehow be distributed. We are currently using MySQL which works quite well so long as one database is all you want. Leveraging MySQL's replication gains us only part of the solution. However, it is not possible for all application instances to write to one master database and read from a local, replicated version. Why? Because connectivity between the databases cannot be guaranteed. Or, put another way, the internet connections between the databases are dial-up modems with changable IP addresses. If we use replication at the database level, it has be automatic and two-way. I'm told Oracle can do this. Currently, that is out of our price range, certainly for experiments, anyway.

So. There was an announcement just a today about PostGresQL now supporting this. It's called eRServer. Has anyone played with this? I'm having trouble finding a list of features on the web.

This, of course, leads on to my main question: has anyone migrated a large database (>150 tables) from MySql to PostGreSQL?

I began exploring what would be required in our application a week ago. Apart from a quite differnt way of managing the database, the first hurdle I found was that PostGreSQL doesn't support ENUM the way MySQL does. Googling recently found [link|http://www.sitepoint.com/article/542/2?SID=c31dc31e696c94aa7e2b1d097e581b91|at least one] useful link for converting - that one is useful mostly because our app is in PHP. There are still some questions about SQL compatibility and column formats, of course. Unfortunately, I can't devote any work time to this project unless the results are going to be very promising. This is not an arbitrary management decision: we simply have too much other stuff that needs to be done to spend time on this without any guarantee of fairly ealry gain.

Thanks for ideas and comments.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Something else to consider - SAP DB.
I can't answer your question, but was thinking about SAP DB. Since it's going to be [link|http://www.mysql.com/sapdb/|tied up with MySQL] it seems like a migration path that you might want to consider.

Replication tools for SAP DB are [link|http://www.sapdb.org/sap_db_tools.htm|here].

Herr Greg might have some thoughts about it as he seems to be a big SAP DB fan.

HTH. GL!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks interesting. Thanks!

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

MySQL vs PostgreSQL - (static) - (2)
         Something else to consider - SAP DB. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Looks interesting. Thanks! -NT - (static)

Anything that ugly should die and be eaten at breakfast.
62 ms