IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Had some thoughts...
...a while back, but now I've forgotten how it works in Oracle, much less the problems with it. :-)

About the only thing that strikes me as odd is how databases are all about recordsets. Yet, it seems to be the one thing that one can not encapsulate. Anyhow, why can't a query (result-set, etc...) be an object (or at least encapsulated by an object) which can be manipulated?
New Oracle goes part way, at least.
Collections in an object can be nested tables.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New In PL/SQL, a cursor's return values *can* easily be...
...fetch into-ed, into a PL/SQL "object". NB, that is a *cursor* -- a single row from the query. Then again, PL/SQL is enough of a procedural language that looping through rows one by one is what you're most likely to do anyway, so this rather simple struct-like "object" is likely to fulfill most of your needs.

Sorry, Scott, I haven't actually got the opportunity to use that stuff yet; the projects I've been on so far have used old versions of the DB, and my code has had to conform to other people's practices (no doubt formed on even older versions). But I gather actual methods aren't all that tightly encapsulated into these "objects". HTH(?).
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
     PL/SQL object functionality impressions? - (admin) - (5)
         ObHeyLookI'mJayLenoReply -NT - (Yendor) - (1)
             ObBritWhoTheFuckIsJayLeno?Reply -NT - (pwhysall)
         Had some thoughts... - (ChrisR) - (2)
             Oracle goes part way, at least. - (admin)
             In PL/SQL, a cursor's return values *can* easily be... - (CRConrad)

But isn't everything better with Christopher Walken?
59 ms