IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mother who hid kids from dad gets probation

A woman who hid her daughters' whereabouts from her ex-husband for 16 years was given probation on Tuesday by an Upshur County judge.

Catherine Walker, 49, pleaded guilty to interference with child custody and was given 10 years probation, including 180 days in jail, by state District Judge Lauren Parish. Walker could have received up to 10 years in prison.

[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2070388|link]

So much for supporting men in their divorce visitation rights.
lincoln
"If you're on your deathbed and you haven't got a story to tell, then you haven't lived. - Asa Baber"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New These get complicated fast....
If the father did nothing wrong, loved the kids, etc. did not abuse them or the spouse, then the wife should get some time.

After a period of 16 years, the kids probably don't even know their father. He's changed, the kids are different people, probably taught to hate their father by their mother. The kids were probably told lots of lies.

But, also, a lot of times, it's her word against his about spousal abuse.

If he was an abuser, and she feared the safety of the kids, then she was completely justified in what she did and should get off scott free, and the father should be punished for abusing his children.

I believe in spanking on the bottom, but I would never put my child's life in jepardy. I would never punch them, give them black eyes, throw them against the wall, etc. Never.

And I believe that men who do such should first be counseled, and if they refuse to change, then remove the kids (and spouse) from the home. Most of the time, these men are so full of hate and anger, they're even a threat to society at large.

So, without full knowledge of the circumstances, I'm not sure I could make a judgement, Brian.

New If he was an abuser
why didn't she file a report and let the Police handle it? I am sure that if he was an abuser that there would be physical evidence of the abuse, enough to convict him. If she hid the kids from him, she still could have filed a report on him to at least get it on paper that he is an abuser.

It seems to me, that some women hide the kids from their ex-husbands to spite them. No abuse charges are filed, they just don't let the father get visitation rights. They want the kids all to themselves and they don't respect the father's rights.

Another reason could be that he didn't pay child support, but even that can be filed for and a court can make him pay back child support if he is a deadbeat dad. After the first few months, she should have hired a lawyer to get a court date about it.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Two words
Maria Navarro

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
New Can I buy a clue?
Google seems to have too many matches to "Maria Navarro" which don't seem to match this topic.

My brother, who had a daughter with his EX, doesn't get to see his daughter very often. He has to drive 2 hours to pick up his daughter because his EX moved so very far away and she won't drive her to him. He pays child support, but doesn't get to see his daughter very often. He doesn't abuse his EX or his daughter, she is just being mean to him. But nothing the law can do about it apparently.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Its a song and a headline
By Was (Not Was). [link|http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,182839,00.html|http://www.artistdir...0,,182839,00.html]

and the headline:

Los Angeles, Calif. On August 27, 1989, Maria Navarro called the sheriff's office to report that her former husband was again threatening to kill her, despite a restraining order she had obtained against him. The dispatcher instructed her, "If he comes over, don't let him in. Then call us." Fifteen minutes later he burst in on her twenty seventh birthday party and shot her and three others dead. Noting that Ms. Navarro's call was part of a perennial overload of 2,000 or more 911 calls that the sheriff's office receives daily, a spokesman frankly admitted, "Faced with the same situation again, in all probability, the response would be the same.

[link|http://www.guncite.com/journals/gun_control_katesreal.html|http://www.guncite.c...ol_katesreal.html]

A ruling by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals involving the murder of a Los Angeles woman will change the way law enforcement handles 9-1-1 domestic violence calls. The case began in August 1989, when Maria Navarro and four family members were fatally shot by her estranged husband. Navarro had called 9-1-1 when her estranged husband's brother called to tell her that her husband, Raymond Navarro, was on his way to her home to kill her and her family. The call-taker told her to call back when Raymond Navarro arrived. Fifteen minutes later, Raymond Navarro shot her and four others. The Court ruled in favor of the woman's family finding the failure to dispatch police personnel was responsible for the woman's death. The case now will proceed to the United States Federal Court. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department claimed the dispatcher did not send an officer because it was the department practice to not classify a domestic violence threat as an in-progress emergency. The 9th Circuit Court stated in its reversal that "police must provide bodyguards against threats of domestic violence unless they can prove that victims of such threats are less likely to be killed or seriously injured than victims of robberies and 'shots-fired' crimes".

[link|http://www.co.rowan.nc.us/telcom/News/media.htm|http://www.co.rowan....om/News/media.htm]

So much for depending on the cops.

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
New My apoligies for not knowing this.
I had no idea that the system was so messed up that they couldn't enforce a restraining order to protect innocents from a raging psychopath who shouldn't have been on the streets in the first place.

New I doubt that you have the slightest clue
what those emotions you just dumbed-down to "spite" - stem from. You just haven't the imagination. At all.

Sometimes your Polyanna gratuitous explanations are fucking grating: this is one of those.

Do a little research on the dimension of the at-home violence in the US; it's only been going on since before you were born. Then just maybe you won't be suggesting those ever-so simpleminded easy fixes like, "Gosh, just call a cop and it'll all go away." (Including where you sleep and eat next, how you move out and hide (from his gun collection) - with access to no money or assistance, in many cases.)

Maybe..

Ashton

And BTW re "you're Sure there'd be evidence" - THAT's what I mean about your imagination. Often enough there are punch and kick marks; other times it's done nore subtly, or the bruises have sorta gone away. Just try and Think about such stuff before you throw out another comic book cliche, OK? I've fucking seen some of these beaten-down folks and their asshole defective spouses.
New Brian - close to home
This article is from Gilmer, TX (Upshur county) in the Houston Chronicle.

I grew up in Longview, and Gilmer is almost a suburb of Longview.

I dated a Becky Parish (same exact spelling) in high school, and I'll bet Lauren (the judge) is a cousin of hers. Haven't seen Becky in 7 years. The last time, she was babysitting at my parent's church. My oldest son (now 8), was an infant and she took care of him.

Glen
Expand Edited by gdaustin Aug. 28, 2003, 01:01:46 PM EDT
New Can only go by what's in the story
No mention of whether or not he was accused of abusing either his ex-wife or the children. But to deny him his visitation right for 16 years, and then she gets 180 days and 10 years probation - well, if the roles were reversed, even without any suspicion of abuse, the odds are a million to one that the guy would get anything less than several years behind bars.

What's good for the gander is good for the goose. Throw her behind bars for several years and make an example out of her.

lincoln
"If you're on your deathbed and you haven't got a story to tell, then you haven't lived. - Asa Baber"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Long personal (probaly incoherent) story
My brother in Kanata, was driving a new rolls an a new jag in 1989 all on borrowed funds. Six months later they were on welfare, in high dudgeon she left and sued for half of every welfare check he recieved (cunt) sorry personal experience. He remarried, resurrected his career and paid every fscking child care bill he received. He got into a better income so she moved from Toronto to Sudbury (originally from Oceana Kanata Newfoundland) so he would have to drive 6 hrs to pivk the kids up and have to return them by 6pm sunday, so his kids were road kids. 3 years ago he said fsck this and moved to Holland, if his kids got any Oxley genes they would get where dad is. They have, they are also ashamed that they could not figure out mom, Now having said that there is a step parent abusing mfscker for every story like my brother so byer beware.
thanx,
bill
America, Love it or give it back
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Mother who hid kids from dad gets probation - (lincoln) - (10)
         These get complicated fast.... - (gdaustin) - (6)
             If he was an abuser - (orion) - (5)
                 Two words - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     Can I buy a clue? - (orion) - (2)
                         Its a song and a headline - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             My apoligies for not knowing this. - (orion)
                 I doubt that you have the slightest clue - (Ashton)
         Brian - close to home - (gdaustin) - (1)
             Can only go by what's in the story - (lincoln)
         Long personal (probaly incoherent) story - (boxley)

Got LRPD?
75 ms