IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Voice Over IP
I thought I'd start up a topic on Voice Over IP. Since people are getting faster Internet connections and calls can be made over the Internet. So far I've seen that the VOIP calls are competitive with Long Distance Companies, and that some PC to PC calls can be made for virtually free. The problem comes in making global calls, like to Thailand, where it can cost 23 cents to 48 cents a minute. I get better rates on a phone card. I wonder which VOIP services are the cheapest to Thailand? Any way to search them all? I've tried Google but I can only find individual services and their rates aren't affordable to me. What I need is a web site or comparision sheet that can show rates by country. Does such an animal exist?

Anyone using VOIP? Is the quality as good as or better than POTS? Thanks.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Voice Over IP
I have implemented VOIP several times. Anyone that syas the quality is not as good doesn't know what their talking about. The quality is just as good, PROVIDED that you have dedicated bandwidth via dedicated lines or QoS set up for it. NEC maks a very nice switch (don't remember the exact name) that will do POTS and VOIP at no extra charge. Every switch maker has VOIP solutions.

Second, you may have to have the infrustructor in place (CAT5) that is seperate from your usual network wiring. It's not a stretch that by now you may not even need seperate CAT5 network medium for it as this technology is advancing very quickly.

I also use VOIP at home (Vonage if you need to know) and I have set up QoS for it. It works so well that I have abandon my POTS line and it saves me $110 a month. When my TelCo (Verizon) learned that I was truning off my POTS they asked if I was moving. I said "Yes, I'm moving to VOIP", the rep actually got mad. That was 6 months ago. Competative might be one word. But when you consider that there are no taxes local or federal for VOIP and there isn't going to be any effective way to tax it, it's a POTS killer for the TelCo's. I pay NO long distance PERIOD and I can talk my head off 24x7.

Bottom line, VOIP is the direction everything is going and I'm sold.
New VOIP is mature and great quality
A lot of places use VOIP especially call centers I have seen the VONAGE ads and it looks good. Glad to see user testimony.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Voice Over IP - (orion) - (2)
         Re: Voice Over IP - (BiohazardBob) - (1)
             VOIP is mature and great quality - (boxley)

None of us is as dumb as all of us.
123 ms