IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Workers abandon U.S., head for home

Yusuf Hussain, after seven years in Colorado, packed up the items from his three-bedroom house in Littleton last week in search of a better life. He says he will find it in Pakistan.

The 39-year-old executive came here from Pakistan just as the U.S. tech economy was taking off in 1996. Today he is being lured back by what he can't find here: jobs, wealth and economic activity.

Many foreign nationals no longer view America as the land of opportunity. Economists, business people and other experts say growing numbers of immigrants are moving back to their home countries of Pakistan, India, China, Singapore and Vietnam --- countries with job and economic growth sometimes double or triple that of the United States.

The U.S. government hasn't kept totals on emigration for several decades. But economists and immigrants say the trend is real.

''I get calls from friends left and right saying they are packing up and going back to China,'' said Hai Yan Zhang, a Denver-based Chinese business consultant who travels to China five times a year.

''I go to China and see people's eyes sparkling,'' Zhang said. ''It's full of life and vitality there. In contrast to the U.S., where we're reaching a plateau, perhaps going down.''

Economists say the exodus could hurt the U.S. economy because America is losing some of the world's smartest and most entrepreneurial people.

And it most likely will feed a controversial trend by U.S. companies to create jobs or move existing jobs offshore in search of cheaper and faster software development, manufacturing or customer service.

''Those people will have the talent to do the work in their home country, and they have the relationships with the companies they used to deal with,'' said Rich Wobbekind, an economist with the University of Colorado. ''It's going to be easier for them to set up facilities in other countries.''

Indeed, that's what lured Hussain to return to Pakistan.

Hussain, chief executive of Denver software firm Cressoft Inc., plans to open a facility in Pakistan to provide software for U.S. companies.

Almost all countries in Southeast Asia have higher economic growth rates than the United States.

China is experiencing the fastest economic growth of any country, expanding at 8 percent a year, according to U.S. government statistics.

India ranks No. 2, growing 4.3 percent last year. India has become a prime spot for affordable customer-support call centers, software development houses and, more recently, technical support centers.

[link|http://www.ajc.com/friday/content/epaper/editions/friday/business_f3c34709f0c171ed0077.html|source]
lincoln
"If you're on your deathbed and you haven't got a story to tell, then you haven't lived. - Asa Baber"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Re: Workers abandon U.S., head for home
Be still my heart, can we live without these Supermen? Oh the world is a cruel place, when the greedy opportunist and liar must ply his trade in his native (stinking, mean, overpopulated) environ.

Ah life! It is hard. Farewell, men! Let us hope you find 7-Elevens in abundance, and all the Java you can mangle.
-drl
New If they bring back US biz habits with them
Power Point, golf, meetings, and other "structural" rituals as derange thinking - soon they will be working longer hours with no vacation, productivity will sag:

Voila! think of it as - sending a virus. (Pepe's Pita Palaces all around the Taj Mahal, will signal Success)
New No pleasing you
You don't like when they come here, you don't like when they leave. Whatever shall we do?
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Methinks you missed the Sign....
jb4
Boy I'd like to see those words on a PR banner behind [Treasury Secretary John] Snow at the podium:
Jobs and Growth: Just Wait.

John J. Andrew, unemployed programmer; see jobforjohn.com
New H1B Visa Petition Online
[link|http://www.petitiononline.com/ah1bpr/petition.html|http://www.petitiono...bpr/petition.html]

Sign it if you want to end H1B Visa madness. Over 200 signatures so far.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Like rats leaving a sinking ship.
For the record, I have great respect for rats. They're willing to admit to themselves that a ship is sinking long before the snooty high-brow types will.
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

Therin lies the true measure of a man.
     Workers abandon U.S., head for home - (lincoln) - (6)
         Re: Workers abandon U.S., head for home - (deSitter)
         If they bring back US biz habits with them - (Ashton)
         No pleasing you - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             Methinks you missed the Sign.... -NT - (jb4)
         H1B Visa Petition Online - (orion)
         Like rats leaving a sinking ship. - (inthane-chan)

Is that a differential I see in my mirror?
50 ms