IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Welcome to Microsoft.FUCKING NET!
What a disgusting POS!

I am trying to interoperate between legacy Visual C code and a brand-new .NIET-DONT-ASK API. The legacy calls API using COM (it should use SOAP, but SOAP got poison pill and died - I mentioned it in Programming forum).

So, I have a C# stub file generated for me from the Web interface. Attempt to export it to COM - no luck. Apparently, you have to specify an "attribute" to make it exportable. Of course, the "attributes" are syntactical constructs. If the writer of WSDL-to-C# translator did not think to add the frigging attribute to the generated classes, I am outta luck.

Round 2. Wrap the main API class in my own C# interface, this one marked with proper "attribute". In addition to the main class, I have a struct that gets passed to one of the methods. Like this:

\n\n/// <remarks/>\n[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="[link|http://tempuri.org/|http://tempuri.org/]")]\n    public class ForwardeeInfo {\n        \n        /// <remarks/>\n        public string ForwardeeName;\n    }\n

Note the stuff in [] - this is an attribute that tells SOAP marshaler how to marshal it.

So, to make this available to COM, I derive from the structure, like this:

\n    [ClassInterfaceAttribute(ClassInterfaceType.AutoDual)]\n        public class ForwardeeInfoExported : ForwardeeInfo {\n        };\n

The attribute above tells the COM exporter to include this class.

And then I make a call to method that wants this structure:

\n\n public System.Guid Setup(ForwardeeInfoExported forwardeeInfo) {\n       return connector.Setup(forwardeeInfo);\n }\n\n\n

I get an exception telling me that SOAP marshaller can't produce the XML.

After 4 hours wasted, in desperation, I change the code to

\n    ForwardeeInfo forwardeeInfoReal = new ForwardeeInfo();\n    forwardeeInfoReal.ForwardeeName = forwardeeInfo.ForwardeeName;\n    return connector.Setup(forwardeeInfoReal);\n

This works!

The fucking piece of sorry crap can't figure out the XML marshalling if it's specified in base class! If this is the future of computing, I need an honest job, ASAP. And to think that MS stole the author of Delphy from Borland to write this shining ingot of Ineptium! I guess the brain softening is inevitable in Redmond.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Slippery slope, indeed.
existence.cosmos.universe.thing.system.machinesystem.
machinecommunicationsystem.network.tcpip.internet.
website.webpage.htmlpage.iwethey.forum.FlameQuarantineforum.
Post.emptyPost(namespace='existence.cosmos.universe.thing.
system.humansystem.humancommunicationsystem.language.
naturallanguage.indoeuropean.english.20thcenturyenglish.
american.newcolonial)
"There's a set of rules that anything that was in the world when you were born is normal and natural. Anything invented between when you were 15 and 35 is new and revolutionary and exciting, and you'll probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're 35 is against the natural order of things."

Douglas Adams
New ICLRPD! ICLRPD! (new thread)
Created as new thread #113862 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=113862|ICLRPD! ICLRPD!]

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Longhorn will fix all this.
All these problems will go away, because nothing you have now or are doing now will be compatible. You'll get to throw it all away and start over.

None of these problems will reappear because Longhorn is entirely new and revolutionary and comes with an entirely new and revolutionary set of disfunctions.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I wish you were kidding :(
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
Expand Edited by Arkadiy Aug. 15, 2003, 12:26:25 PM EDT
New Oh come on...
You know as well as *I* do...

Microsoft can't afford to bite off the customers hands. Even they will initially do this...

They will provide backwards compatibility in Longhorn. Even *IF* longhorn actually ISN'T a code successor to WXP & W2K server.

They just want to make a good stand to get the "kneejerkers" to buy into it lock-stock-n-barrell. After they DIP into those pockets... there will be knashing of teeth... and threats of more lawsuits... then those "Oh shoot" We just HAPPEN to have those compatibility files right here... hehe Sorry for the inconvience.

Blah Blah Blah...
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

[insert witty saying here]
New Why do ya think they bought Virtual PC?
I think it was them, at least...

Virtualize a WinXP session inside of Longhorn.
And though you hold the keys to ruin of everything I see/With every prison blown to dust, my enemies walk free/Though all the kingdoms turn to sand and fall into the sea/ I'm mad about you I'm mad about you
New Re: Oh come on...
From [link|http://msdn.microsoft.com/events/pdc/tracks.aspx|http://msdn.microsof...s/pdc/tracks.aspx]

"Exploiting "Longhorn" Features from within Your Win32\ufffd/MFC Application "

My guess is it'll be something along the lines of some new common file dialogs and WinFS aware I/O APIs

--
Chris Altmann
New You are half-right
Microsoft bought out Virtual PC, I predict that Longhorn won't have backwards compatability but for $350USD extra you can buy a copy of Virtual PC and XP Home Edition. Microsoft isn't so stupid, they will sell the backwards compatability with a copy of the older OS to go with it. Not only that, but OS updates will be available on the subscription level only for Longhorn. So if any worms do come out for it, either pay up or be SOL.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New A Longhorn tester . .
. . (not a Microsoft employee (who was the only persong who flamed me over "2003 and Beyond" (but we had a cordial email exchange after that))) when I said I expected there would be a "compatibility module" comming out strategically late, told me "there will be no compatibility module".

Now, how much he knows, I do not know. How stable Microsoft's intentions are is also highly questionable, probably to Microsoft as well as everyone else (there was to be a Longhorn Server - then there wasn't, just an "add-on" to Windows 2003 Server, now there is most definitely and irrevocably a Longhorn Server, etc.).

Microsoft is capable of adopting the attitude, "If they're with us, they'll spend the money to upgrade everyting all at once. If they won't spend the money, they're probably going to Linux eventually anyway".

What's coming out of Microsoft in the last couple of weeks is very uncompromising. Longhorn will require updating everything. Now, if they can only get it all ready at the same time . . .

This is going to be very, very fun to watch.
New Microsoft could have a Plan B the Longhorn tester doesn't...
know about.

It could be that if Plan A gets a lot of flack and some big customers balk and threaten to walk, the compatibility module will appear.
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New Oh yes, and probably Microsoft doesn't know about it yet . .
. . that's why I predicted the compatibility module would be late. Just as in previous transitions, it wasn't planned, but a response to threats of rebellion by the RC1 testers. The programming crew gets a late start and rushes, so the fix comes out late and has bugs up the kazoo. Routine Microsoft MO.
New Sneer at my props to the script-kiddies, if you like
But I figure that the Crucial matter over which the Beast and its Wag-Ed armies have no spin- or other control is:

A sudden, stark Realization of the scale of Epiphany! as in,
Migawd!! all along.. >Gehabt Kindern!<
..The Fuckers have been draining us dry and supplying Pure Crapware cha cha!

I believe that this eventuality is the root of Billy n'Ballys' recurrent nighttime cold-sweats. And one particularly Apt and timely Slogan - after the Next MS-Blast quick-successor?

ie the grotesque ever-morphing details of Longorn or .nyet and its dancing daily specs - don't mean shit, on the level of the Visceral. Nobody ever likes finally.. Seeing Self as a Sucker. (Some just take a long time to remove the shit from eyes, we see)

Ashton
Script Kiddies - lots o'Lovin y'all!
New Good Ol Charlie Brown + Lucy + football.. overand overand
     Welcome to Microsoft.FUCKING NET! - (Arkadiy) - (13)
         Slippery slope, indeed. - (FuManChu) - (1)
             ICLRPD! ICLRPD! (new thread) - (static)
         Longhorn will fix all this. - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
             I wish you were kidding :( -NT - (Arkadiy)
             Oh come on... - (folkert) - (7)
                 Why do ya think they bought Virtual PC? - (inthane-chan)
                 Re: Oh come on... - (altmann)
                 You are half-right - (orion)
                 A Longhorn tester . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Microsoft could have a Plan B the Longhorn tester doesn't... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Oh yes, and probably Microsoft doesn't know about it yet . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Sneer at my props to the script-kiddies, if you like - (Ashton)
             Good Ol Charlie Brown + Lucy + football.. overand overand -NT - (Ashton)

Escape from the prison planet!
72 ms