IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ask them why you cant telnet home from work
perhaps it is the settings on your DSL router that is blocking ports.
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New If it's like SBC here in Los Angeles . .
. . (but it may not be, since this was PacBell territory) they use a bridge (Westel Wirespeed), not a router for ppoe connections with dynamic IP. The bridge doesn't have the smarts to do any filtering. I haven't heard of them blocking anything, but I don't think I have any clients accessing through a ppoe connection.

The only other service SBC offers here is 5 static IPs with a Cayman router, and nothing is blocked.

If I want anything different I bring in LinkLine. They use a bridge with static IPs, and you can have any number of statics you are willing to pay for from 1 on up. For my own service I have LinkLine with 3 statics and use a Cayman router configured as a bridge ('cause I already had the Cayman).

Cayman is now a division of Netopia.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I did Help Desk for SBC for a while
they use Redback routers here in St. Louis, Mo.
New Port 23 is open on the hardware router
I set it as a Vrtual Server and I can Telnet to it, but it loses the connection quick. All I get are the first few lines, and then when the BBS loads I get nothing. I can Telnet locally and I get the full BBS, I can Telnet from a PC on the same Network and I can see the BBS, but if I Telnet remotely, I don't get much. Sort of like they are blocking it someway.

I get the GameSVR message, the NetFoss message, and then no BBS. But it works locally via Telnet.

I also got the Tradewars Game Server on Port 2002, I can Telnet to it, no problem, but when I select a game to play, it locks up. But it doesn't lock up locally. But locking up, I mean the terminal doesn't respond and it doesn't display the game text like it does locally.

Also I cannot access the web server, but I have port 80 open. Friends say they can access the web server, but it is very slow and doesn't display graphics like it does locally.

The only thing I can think of why these server services are messing up, is that they are being blocked or filtered in some way?
New Do you have a local network set up?
If so, have you tried connecting from another computer on the local network. If not, is there a way you can set one up temporarily? This will allow you to verify whether the problem is from the ISP or not.

This doesn't sound right for a standard firewall. That wouldn't allow anything in or out that they didn't want to get through. Hence if they were blocking port 23, you wouldn't get anything. It's not quite like a normal adaptive firewall, which watches for port scans and will block the offending IP address after so many ports have been scanned. There shouldn't be a lot of data going through a telnet connection, so I would doubt that you've hit an upload limit. Is the terminal type correct on the client end, so that there are no unexpected characters breaking the connection? Are there any limits configured in the software? Do those programs default to only accepting loopback (127.0.0.1) connections?

Many broadband ISPs will limit upload speeds more than download speeds. They may offer 1M download speeds, but only 128K upload speeds. This could be the reason your pages are served up so slow to your friends.

~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Re: Do you have a local network set up?
Local network is installed. I access the Dotcom domain name and it is fast, and no disconnects or lockups. It is at my father's house and both his and my brother's PC can Telnet to it with no problems. Only Telnetting from my home system, same ISP SBC DSL, do I get slowness and data loss and disconnects. Local network access is fine, so it cannot be W2K Server causing the problems, right? Going to the Dotcom domain name means it has to go through the Internet, or does it just access it locally? I use DynDNS for the domain name DNS, never had a problem with them before.

Locally the Loopback connection is fine. Telnets to the BBS or TWGS no problem. Telnetting via the Dotcom domain name gives the same results.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Do you have a local network set up?
Connecting to the external Domain name for a local computer would not actually take you past or even to your ISP (excluding DNS lookup). What happens is the client computer does the DNS lookup and gets the IP address for the external interface of your router. When it connects to this IP, it's connecting directly to your router, and your router is forwarding that connection back to the computer addressed in the virtual server setting. The connection wouldn't be blocked by any existing firewalls or restrictions set by your ISP, because it never goes through their servers.

If you have the capability, try setting up an SSH server, and set up your telnet session through that. As insecure as telnet is, I don't think I would want it open to anyone to access. As an added bonus though, SSH should increase the reliability of the telnet session.
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.

General George S. Patton
New The problem is
that GameSVR and TWGS don't support SSH. That is unless a SSH server can reroute traffic to them over a local Telnet port? If so I will be looking for a free or open sourced SSH server for Windows.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New I'm just starting to dig into SSH right now...
but from what I've gathered so far, yes you should be able to set up that server through a SSH tunnel. You may need to get the specifics from one of the Gurus around here or get ahold of one of the manuals on SSH, but the basics are that you'll set up a SSH server (or OpenSSH or whatever is available for your system), then set up a PPP tunnel (for Linux you'd use pppd), then lastly your game server. There is a telnet client that's supposed to support SSH for Windows, so you may not have to do the same thing on the client machine.

Obviously this wouldn't be the best setup if you want Joe Offthestreet to join in by word of mouth, but it should keep Ima Hacker away.
~~~)-Steven----

General George S. Patton
     DSL companies blocking Server Protocols - (orion) - (11)
         Speakeasy is the way. - (imric) - (1)
             Only if you're <15k feet from the CO... - (inthane-chan)
         ask them why you cant telnet home from work - (boxley) - (8)
             If it's like SBC here in Los Angeles . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I did Help Desk for SBC for a while - (orion)
             Port 23 is open on the hardware router - (orion) - (5)
                 Do you have a local network set up? - (Steven A S) - (4)
                     Re: Do you have a local network set up? - (orion) - (3)
                         Re: Do you have a local network set up? - (Steven A S) - (2)
                             The problem is - (orion) - (1)
                                 I'm just starting to dig into SSH right now... - (Steven A S)

He wasn't always this way. He used to be a genial nerd, like many of us.
167 ms