IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What I want to see
is an OS/400 compatability layer for Linux...

Or at least an OSS version of RPG that connects to DB/2 (or other DB) on Linux...

There WAS an RPG project, but it never seemed to go anywhere...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Expand Edited by imric Aug. 6, 2003, 07:33:29 PM EDT
New Have you seen this?
[link|http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tn5250/asdbget|http://cvs.sourcefor...gi/tn5250/asdbget]
A utility for retreiving AS/400 physical files (databases) from an AS/400 via FTP. Queries the AS/400 for the structure using an AS/400 FTP extensions and produces an ASCII, XML file which can be easily processed with a number of utilties. The project has been merged into tn5250.
My previous job they used this to browse an AS/400 from a Linux (or Windows, or whatever) box. So you'd still need to have an AS/400, but you can drive it with Linux.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Well, the '400 uses smb
now, so I would think that Samba would work, too... I've never had a problem getting files to/from the '400, even when they were just using PC/Support and old Client Access. Of course, ODBC is also available, though the last time I really used it, it was slow.

The XML feature is interesting. Suggests that db and query exports from the '400 might be more useful when exported to other machines.

The AS/400 FTP server implements the RCMD
command, which allows a logged-in user to execute AS/400 commands via the FTP
client

Sounds a little dangerous, to me. Isn't FTP authentication plaintext? Still, no worse than smb access to DB files.
We run the DSPFFD command and redirect the output to a file in QTEMP,
then retreive this file and build a file layout in memory on the fly.

This is actually pretty easy to do - I've written utilities that do similar things myself.

Still, interesting.

What  I  would like is something that would allow me to develop without a '400. (and California Software's Baby/400 has some nasty pitfalls, as well as being out of reach for me, financially). I made a choice, you see. I could have bought a '400 for $1200 from an old client, or I could have bought a motorcycle.

VROOM!

Even though I would have really liked to have owned my own '400, you'd have a hard time convincing me I made the wrong choice...

*grin* I'm just not above wanting to have my cake and eat it, too.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New If they can get the OS to run on PS/1
I guess I don't know of any technical reasons why OS/400 won't run on intel processors. I vaguely recall that the AS/400 has dedicated memory management hardware of some sorts (MMU?) that is probably the central point in provide a secure platform. But then I didn't think the PS/1 hardware was all that special other than the graphics rendering pieces.
New Well - Calsw
has a product that can do it... So IBM should be able to manage it.

Don't really ever expect it to happen. Ah, well.

Imric's Tips for Living

IBM researchers get OS/400 running on a PS1 - (Steve Lowe) - (13)
         Interesting... - (slugbug)
         Finally, RPG's can be written in RPG. :-) -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
             snort -NT - (deSitter)
             OMG! now there is a scary thought....heh! -NT - (slugbug)
         When I first read that - (orion) - (3)
             Heh. the PSone prolly has MORE power than the old B-models. -NT - (imric) - (2)
                 Rumors a few years back of PSOnes - (orion)
                 Has more memory the first AS/400 I worked on - (JayMehaffey)
         What I want to see - (imric) - (4)
             Have you seen this? - (drewk) - (3)
                 Well, the '400 uses smb - (imric) - (2)
                     If they can get the OS to run on PS/1 - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Well - Calsw - (imric)

Indigenous life must be in agreement.
102 ms