IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You see the Odin Catch-22 I see...
Odin was originally called Win32-OS2. It was originally designed to translate Win32 binary types and catch application calls to the Win32 libraries and implement that functionality in OS/2's 32-bit APIs. It was, in a way, rather like the Micrographix Mirrors library which came with OS/2 2.0 to let application writers "easily" produce apps for Win16 and OS/2. Mirrors and Win-OS2 (which ran Win3.x apps) made it easier for OS/2 users to run Windows apps, but helped kill native OS/2 development ("We don't need to produce a native OS/2 version because the Win16 version runs fine.").

Odin isn't complete. I don't know if it's missing functionality which would let it host Opera/Win32.

Mozilla/2 is looking pretty good (or was when I looked at it last). Opera's going to have trouble finding an OS/2 market, IMO.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: You see the Odin Catch-22 I see...
In preparation for this reply, I just upgraded to Warpzilla 0.9.2 (was using build 022801). I've used Warpzilla for most of my browsing for at lest 8 months now, and it is quite good, but I feel Opera does have a place in OS/2, if it gets reasonably debugged. It's quite a nice brower (I used the Windows 3.1 version until it became too unstable under WinOS2 to use).

Yes, I'd strongly prefer a native OS/2 version, but it doesn't look like that's possible.
[link|www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Opera for OS/2! - (static) - (9)
         Oh well, it ran for a little while. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             OK, so I got curious . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Didja file a bug report? - (static)
         Major disappointment - (n3jja) - (5)
             Be daring. - (static) - (4)
                 No thank you - (n3jja) - (1)
                     Need to run PE to run win32 apps - (SpiceWare)
                 You see the Odin Catch-22 I see... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: You see the Odin Catch-22 I see... - (Andrew Grygus)

My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that.
37 ms