IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Depends how you define bug.
As a software person, I define a bug in terms of my expectations of the software. If I designed the software to not output the error number or source of the error, that is not a bug. Since the software is acting correctly according to the software implementors intent, it's not what I consider to be a bug. The fault is either in the specification or the implementation of the features in the specification.

The question is whether the specification stipulated the nature of the content for trap exceptions. The specs for presenting an error for human consumption can be quite different depending on the nature of the project. Some schemes just register a number. Others register a discourse on the exact nature of the exception - more than you ever wanted to know.

Typically, end users are not necessarily cognizant of the names of the individual programs, modules, functions, etc... Giving them the information that lists the exact line number and function that registered the exception may be helpful for tracking things down from a software perspective, but that may not be useful information from the end users standpoint.
New My thinking exactly
Unless described in the documentation that an application error number should appear in that window it is working as designed.
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Assistance with constraint violation error messages - (boxley) - (4)
         Depends how you define bug. - (ChrisR) - (1)
             My thinking exactly - (boxley)
         The question is what does the spec say? - (a6l6e6x)
         Trivial bug - (JayMehaffey)

Don’t look at me in that tone of voice!
31 ms