IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Win2K gurus, a simple question? Defining machine Comment.
In Win95 or Win2K when one is browsing the Network Neighborhood, one can see a list of visible machines in the Workgroup. Under a Details view, one can see Comments about the machines - descriptions and the like.

How does one define the Comment on a Win2K (desktop) machine? On Win95 it's:

Control Panel -> Network -> Identification -> Comptuter Decription.

I haven't found anything similar in Win2K when logged in as Administrator, nor any info in Que's "Using Windows 2000 Professional, Second Edition" (which seems to be a very good book otherwise).

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Under Windows XP...
And yes, this is my work machine, NOT my home machine. No home machine of mine shall EVER have XP.

Under System properties (RClick "My Computer", select Properties), on the "Computer Name" tab, there is a field named "Computer description."

I think that's present in Win2k as well. I could be wrong, I don't have a machine to check that against right now.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Not there under Win2k. :-(
My Computer -> Properties -> Network Identification tab

No field available to enter a Comment.

Clicking on the Properties button ("To rename this computer or join a domain, click Properties") doesn't give any place to enter a Comment either.

None of the other tabs seem to be appropriate either.

Grrr.

Thanks for checking.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm actually having a totally different problem...
...in the same place. Thought I'd commiserate with you.

I'm setting up my work machine (the XP one) to use the JDK 1.3.1 for my homework this quarter. You'd think this would be No Big Deal except...

I can't find where to register environmental variables any more! This was EASY under Win2k, but now the interface appears to have completely dissapeared from the system.

Thhbbbt!
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Control panel
System, Advanced, environment variables

Your welcome.
For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong
H. L. Mencken, Mencken's Metalaw
New Found it right after...
...I posted it here.

%!@$! XP themes... It's in the same place, but the "new" UI makes it #%!! impossible to see.
New Re: Found it right after...
> ...I posted it here.
>
> %!@$! XP themes... It's in the same place, but the "new" UI makes it #%!! impossible to see.
> "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Turn em off then.

Sheesh. Some people.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Only if it isn't your %#!% job...
Remember, hombre, I'm a SOFTWARE TESTER. That means I get paid based on my ability to find bugs.

One way to find bugs REAL FAST is to turn on all the annoying crap. I'd say you'd be surprised by what crawls out of the woodwork when you do that, but you probably wouldn't. ^_^
New No Can Do
Sorry :)

You can stop looking now.

Windows 2000 networking is quite similar to the networking in Windows NT.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Thanks.
     Win2K gurus, a simple question? Defining machine Comment. - (Another Scott) - (9)
         Under Windows XP... - (inthane-chan) - (6)
             Not there under Win2k. :-( - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 I'm actually having a totally different problem... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Control panel - (Silverlock) - (3)
                         Found it right after... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                             Re: Found it right after... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Only if it isn't your %#!% job... - (inthane-chan)
         No Can Do - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

Your Bork God[tm] was HERE!
76 ms