IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Orwell's First Essay.
"And it was at this moment," Orwell writes, "as I stood there with the rifle in my hands, that I first grasped the hollowness, the futility of the white man's dominion in the East. Here was I, the white man with his gun, standing in front of the unarmed native crowd -- seemingly the leading actor of the piece; but in reality I was only an absurd puppet pushed to and fro by the will of those yellow faces behind. I perceived in this moment that when the white man turns tyrant it is his own freedom that he destroys. He becomes a sort of hollow, posing dummy, the conventionalized figure of a sahib. For it is the condition of his rule that he shall spend his life in trying to impress the 'natives' and so in every crisis he has got to do what the 'natives' expect of him. He wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it. I had got to shoot the elephant."

[link|http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0729-13.htm|http://www.commondre...ews03/0729-13.htm]
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Mr. Tristam is a fine polemicist
and appears to have matched Orwell's metaphor so well, it needs no 'explanation'.

I guess there's a small comfort in realizing that enough others are watching our little Sahib-play, that history shall have quite a few other interpretations than has the PNAC and the Cabal.

Muricans will be the last to 'know' - so few would ever Want to Know - that is what we have become. Not recently, either. We deserve Shrub, Ashcroft and Daddy's buddies. Kissinger for the USSC! (Spare US thus the agony of waiting.. for the denouement.)

Ashton
Let it all crash.
It's the decent, the honourable - The Murican Thing to do.
New Re your closing: How very, um, John Galt-ish of you. ;-)
New In the immortal words of Sir Thomas Beecham
(he was approached after a concert by a lady, who intoned.."Sir Thomas, the orchestra played brilliantly.. unfortunately, it was rather loud - the singers were almost drowned out!")

Sir Thomas, in his noted high voice replied,

I did it intentionally. It was in the public interest.

Yup, Ayn is as often misunderappreciated as is her character John G, by the truly reprehensible who have mo(u)lded both into their own *despicable caricatures, kinda like... those Other gods n'stuff? ;-)

* Not that - there ISN'T a fair amount of despicableness in both - of course.
     Orwell's First Essay. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
         Mr. Tristam is a fine polemicist - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re your closing: How very, um, John Galt-ish of you. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 In the immortal words of Sir Thomas Beecham - (Ashton)

Yow!
69 ms