IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Taxpayers pay for reps' trip to San Francisco conference
[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2007292|full story]

State budget cuts are costing thousands of state workers their jobs and reducing services to needy Texans. But neither a tight budget nor a special session is spoiling a midsummer break for a handful of legislators.

While members of the state Senate remained in Austin, struggling over congressional redistricting, an unknown number of House members, including Speaker Tom Craddick, headed to San Francisco for the annual meeting of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Texas taxpayers, already stuck with an estimated $1.7 million tab for the special session, will pick up much of the conference costs for the lawmakers as well.

It was not clear Tuesday how many legislators were attending the meeting, which began Monday and ends Friday. About 60 House members were registered late last week, according to the speaker's office, down from 96 representatives and senators who had pre-registered.

Richter said it will be impossible to know how much the conference will cost taxpayers until travel vouchers are submitted.

But, he said, the state pays for lawmakers' airfare at a discounted contract rate, along with their hotel costs, registration fees, as much as $100 a day for meals and as much as $50 a day for car rentals. Lawmakers must pick up the tabs for spouses or children who accompany them.

Hotels listed on the conference Web site listed rates ranging from $139 to $209 a night.

All this and special sessions to shove redistricting down the throats of the Texas citizens too.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Nice per-diem
I'm not saying they should have to eat at McDonald's or anything, but $100/day for food?
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Hey...Schmoozing COSTS!!!
jb4
The difference between Confidence and Ego is that Confidence has respect, while Ego does not.
Candyce Burns (my wife)
New In SF - not *that* far out of line
Within 5 blocks of Moscone an omelette is almost $20.

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:02:32 AM EDT
     Taxpayers pay for reps' trip to San Francisco conference - (lincoln) - (3)
         Nice per-diem - (drewk) - (2)
             Hey...Schmoozing COSTS!!! -NT - (jb4)
             In SF - not *that* far out of line - (tuberculosis)

For what it's worth, gangrene makes one testy.
45 ms