IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Patenting the web
[link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21948.html|The Register] has the story on patenting W3 specs.

Also a good quote from "veteran licensing watcher" Karsten Self. No idea who the bloke is, but he talks a good game...
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Patenting the web
Also a good quote from "veteran licensing watcher" Karsten Self. No idea who the bloke is, but he talks a good game...

Hmmm. I know a Karsten M. Self, but no Karsten Self.

I wonder if this fellow is an imposter.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Just another example, if ya wanna see English spoken
try UK. Here - silence or spin, for the very most part ('cept in secret conclaves o'course ;-)

Yeah I realize Orlowski is in SF, but - who published such a lengthy, annotated screed.. in a decent time frame? given the obvious haste which the 3C movers seem bound to inflict.

Hows Come *WE* haven't anything near-enough like the Reg? Yet? No funds? No interest? Too scared of advertiser non-revenues? Sloth..?

Oh I forgot - IT folk are agin' organizin, for any reason -except after the DMCAs get passed.

A.
New Just Doesn't Register Here
We 'Mericans are too consumed with our shallow, media puntuated lifestyle, with endless soundbites to worry about anything remotely intellectually stimulating.

Heck, even Robot Wars is an English program. Watched that one while I was visiting my in-laws who have cable. (BTW, Robot Wars is a technical version of the WWF. Geeks built robots, put cool names and coverings on them, and then they "fight" until one or the other is disabled. Then the "house" robots come in from the outside and finish the job. It's so hilarious because most of the contestants are serious engineer types and the host and hostess really do try to make it like the WWF.

We did have William F. Buckley ( a conservative Brit relocated state side), but he's getting too old to do the shows and maybe he's even moved on to the great afterlife.

Our "deep thought" runs along the veins of Wall Street Week, This Week with Cokie, Sam, and George Will, and Politically Incorrect.

Otherwise, you live through primetime of Dharma and Greg, The Practice, and all the "survivor" shows like Suvivor, Temptation Island, and Big Brother.

It's no wonder that people are turning off the TV and getting on the Internet.

Glen Austin
New Just Doesn't Register Here
We 'Mericans are too consumed with our shallow, media puntuated lifestyle, with endless soundbites to worry about anything remotely intellectually stimulating.

Heck, even Robot Wars is an English program. Watched that one while I was visiting my in-laws who have cable. (BTW, Robot Wars is a technical version of the WWF. Geeks built robots, put cool names and coverings on them, and then they "fight" until one or the other is disabled. Then the "house" robots come in from the outside and finish the job. It's so hilarious because most of the contestants are serious engineer types and the host and hostess really do try to make it like the WWF.

We did have William F. Buckley ( a conservative Brit relocated state side), but he's getting too old to do the shows and maybe he's even moved on to the great afterlife.

Our "deep thought" runs along the veins of Wall Street Week, This Week with Cokie, Sam, and George Will, and Politically Incorrect.

Otherwise, you live through primetime of Dharma and Greg, The Practice, and all the "survivor" shows like Suvivor, Temptation Island, and Big Brother.

It's no wonder that people are turning off the TV and getting on the Internet.

Glen Austin
New Comment deadline extended to Oct 11.
Story [link|http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-10-02-002-20-NW-CY-LL|at LinuxToday].

...and I really should tell Andrew I prefer being referenced in print as "Karsten M. Self". It just seems more balanced, somehow. And lord knows I can use balance....
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Gartner holds forth: Don't go there, W3C
[link|http://technews.netscape.com/news/0-1005-201-7385649-0.html|Special to CNET News.com]
October 2, 2001, 1:45 p.m. PT

By Kathy Harris, Gartner Analyst

It is a mistake to allow the use of patented technology in standards.

The point of a standards body should be to share work and come to a consensus for the betterment of the industry. Complex issues concerning patenting of technology should be considered after mature standards are achieved. At the very least, any decisions should be considered case by case.

Furthermore, charging for the use of patented technology components (such as software, designs and business processes) opens the door to the following costly, complex and time-consuming issues...
--
New WC3 RAND: IBM behind it
There's another [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22052.html|story with gratuitious quotes of famous people] which reveals that IBM, not [link|http://www.microsoft.com/|the usual suspects], are behind the "RAND" ("reasonable and non-discriminatory" -- in reality, neither). There's a [link|http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/4/193550/332|K5 article] (Update: now posted) by some guy as well, gives a bit more of the editorial slant.

[Edit: updated link and text description of same as story posted.]
--
Expand Edited by kmself Oct. 5, 2001, 02:12:59 AM EDT
New Please edit K5 link, it's in "moderate" mode
Alex

Whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. -- Euripides
New Um. Yeah. I mentioned that
I'll reedit when the article leaves queue. Right now you'll need a K5 account to see the story. It's progressing well -- 55 + vote currently, 80 needed to post. So give it a few hours and I'll get to it.
--
New Time for gWeb?
Everytime there's a proprietary "standard" (zip->gzip, gif->png, ...) the gnu people clone it and release something of equivalent functionality. I suspect that this will continue to be true - no "standard" which requires licensing is going to be adopted. The end effect will be be to render the W3C (even more) irrelevant.

It may not matter. Its not like we've seen anything good come out of there in awhile.
     Patenting the web - (admin) - (10)
         Re: Patenting the web - (Yendor)
         Just another example, if ya wanna see English spoken - (Ashton) - (2)
             Just Doesn't Register Here - (gdaustin)
             Just Doesn't Register Here - (gdaustin)
         Comment deadline extended to Oct 11. - (kmself)
         Gartner holds forth: Don't go there, W3C - (kmself)
         WC3 RAND: IBM behind it - (kmself) - (2)
             Please edit K5 link, it's in "moderate" mode -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Um. Yeah. I mentioned that - (kmself)
         Time for gWeb? - (tuberculosis)

Determined absurdity.
72 ms