IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Method VS Message
Is that literally how it is handled internally?

I thought Scott literally meant, one can implement messaging behavior with appropriate generation of functions.
-drl
New Didn't you finish that smalltalk history doc Todd showed us?
I know you got at least halfway through. ;) Yes, that's how it's handled. Absolutely true that, for example, an integer is a server. Grok that and you've got the gist.

I'm gonna go build my own theme park! With Blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the park!
New Re: Didn't you finish that smalltalk history doc Todd showed
Haven't even really started it - busy days. It's near the top of the list. I'm taking it to Atlanta with me next week...
-drl
New In theory yes, in practice no
The VM will optimize out the actual messages etc. in most cases to improve performance if it is not needed
New You must cheat - but you must not get caught
Dan Ingalls said that I think - referring to optimization of certain messages (like ifTrue:) by the compiler. The compiler will cheat on certain highly used messages to improve performance - but its generally not visible to the developer that this is going on.

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:44:33 AM EDT
New Yes exactly
It is clear that the VM is not going to actually send a message for a := 5 + 3. the performance would be horrible. The VM cheats where appropriate and hopefully the developer doesn't notice a difference (which is why Smalltalk can present everything as an object including so called primitive types like integers, etc., and still offer good performance, the VM knows that 5 is an integer and therefore treats it differently in most cases). The various Smalltalk VM's are very good at this (in fact the whole Hotspot compiler idea came from a Smalltalk implementation).
Expand Edited by bluke July 22, 2003, 10:31:22 AM EDT
New Hmmm sounds as if
Smalltalk's efficacy relies critically upon a very Smart Wise compiler. One wonders how wisdom + Boolean ever once came to be comingled. And if such stellar virtuosity could ever again occur. From the gossip read over years - I gather that this was a Fluke, given the variety of C-class and other successors' non-Wisdom.. so frequently dissected and railed about.

OK.. never mind. No credentials here.

Ashton
New Not *so* clever
There is a table of a few selectors that are handled specially by the compiler. You can change the table and recompile everything in the system. Of course, only the VM/compiler tweakers do this. But the language itself is dead simple.

For those interested in the original book detailing how it all works:

[link|http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/bluebook/bluebook_imp_toc.html|http://users.ipa.net...book_imp_toc.html]

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:51:46 AM EDT
     Message Object Oriented vs Function Object Oriented - (JimWeirich) - (71)
         It's not so much a Language issue... - (ChrisR) - (28)
             Mind Games - (JimWeirich) - (27)
                 The biggest difference is how one treats the interaction - (ChrisR) - (26)
                     Now a Language Issue again - (JimWeirich) - (25)
                         Is it "missing methods" or "invalid messages" it handles? - (CRConrad) - (23)
                             Both. - (admin) - (22)
                                 Sorry, I don't think you quite understood what I meant. - (CRConrad) - (21)
                                     Needlessly pedantic, IMO. - (admin) - (20)
                                         OK, so why don't we do it that way, then... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                             Lose the chip... -NT - (admin) - (3)
                                                 OK, bye, then. (Heard anything from Addison, lately?) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                     Suit yourself. -NT - (admin)
                                                     You can do it (new thread) - (orion)
                                             FOO bad. MOO good. - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                 Mooooooo. -NT - (admin)
                                                 Re: FOO bad. MOO good. - (JimWeirich)
                                             Re: OK, so why don't we do it that way, then... - (JimWeirich)
                                         Method VS Message - (JimWeirich) - (10)
                                             Sure. -NT - (admin)
                                             Re: Method VS Message - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                                 Re: Method VS Message - (deSitter) - (7)
                                                     Didn't you finish that smalltalk history doc Todd showed us? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                         Re: Didn't you finish that smalltalk history doc Todd showed - (deSitter)
                                                     In theory yes, in practice no - (bluke) - (4)
                                                         You must cheat - but you must not get caught - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                             Yes exactly - (bluke) - (2)
                                                                 Hmmm sounds as if - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Not *so* clever - (tuberculosis)
                         At that level, it is a language issue... - (ChrisR)
         DoesNotUnderstand - (tuberculosis) - (6)
             Reified Messages - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                 Sounds about right to me -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Re: DoesNotUnderstand - (deSitter) - (3)
                 nil is an object -NT - (admin) - (2)
                     Re: nil is an object - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Re: nil is an object - (bluke)
         ICLRPD - (static)
         It is a fundamental difference - (bluke) - (30)
             More Questions - (JimWeirich) - (9)
                 Re: More Questions - (bluke) - (3)
                     Re: More Questions - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                         It relates more to the mindset - (bluke)
                         In past discussions with Freep... - (ChrisR)
                 Where does polymorphism fit in? - (static) - (1)
                     Polymorphism via inheritance/interface - (ChrisR)
                 Example - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Re: Example - (JimWeirich)
                 Statically Typed Smalltalk - (tuberculosis)
             Statically Typed MOO - (JimWeirich) - (19)
                 The other possible avenue - (ChrisR) - (18)
                     Do you know how they do that? - (bluke) - (17)
                         Compiler generates the necessary calls - (ChrisR)
                         AspectJ is code generation - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                             A comment and a question ... - (JimWeirich) - (12)
                                 Not really - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                     Pushing the limits of Blanchard's Law - (JimWeirich) - (10)
                                         I don't think the basic argument is so much - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                             Re: I don't think the basic argument is so much - (JimWeirich) - (7)
                                                 Should probably let Todd defend his Laws....but.... :-) - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                     Still sounds arbitrary ... - (JimWeirich) - (5)
                                                         On par with "Eval" - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                             Well said -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                         No its not - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                             Ok, I get it. - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                                 Yep -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                         Oh yeah - (FuManChu)
                             What is your reasoning for this "law"? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 OT re: coming to this thread late - (drewk)
         Litmus Test - (JimWeirich) - (1)
             Yes and No - (bluke)
         Interesting comp.lang.smalltalk thread on this - (bluke)

Low-tech innovation with ordinary food items wins.
137 ms