IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Out of work and scared

We are the newly unemployed.

We are senior executives who have never been without work since graduating college, who have meticulously scaled the corporate ladder for 10-plus years, who once detoured into the frenzied 18-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week dot.com start-up whirlwind and bathed ourselves in stock options with an idealistic vision to create and own an idea that had never been created or owned before (and for the parties), then scurried back into the cozy corporate 401(k) culture when investors closed their checkbooks and the stock options became meaningless memories in employee agreements.

Now, we are networking and sifting through Rolodexes and archived e-mail addresses at an embarrassing rate, eating casual lunches with old bosses, smiling through informational interviews with distantly prospective employers, meeting with multiple headhunters, and refining and editing and re-working and revising our r\ufffdsum\ufffds to the point that we cannot start a sentence at a party without an active verb. We have researched industry associations, taken nonpaying consulting jobs, logged our r\ufffdsum\ufffds onto every conceivable Internet job search site, lined up our references, written dashing cover letters and penned effusive follow-up notes within hours of interviews.

We have hounded outplacement consultants, skimmed through multiple articles on How to find-the-right-job-write-dynamite-r\ufffdsum\ufffds-create-your-own-niche-etc. that regurgitate the same four futile themes, and learned a new phrase for being unemployed -- "on hiatus."

We have chewed through severance packages and all but resigned ourselves to taking pay cuts once/if we ever stop hearing the refrain, "We're in a hiring freeze at least until the next quarter."

We log online or start dialing for jobs at 8 a.m. and at least three days a week scream at our sleeping pets, "Why won't anyone hire me?" We hear horror stories of friends of friends whose old boss has been looking for work for the last 18 months and choke back screams of terror at the looming prospect of becoming that friend of a friend's old boss.

We are also more physically fit because we no longer have any excuse not to go to the gym at least three times a week. And, we take more pride in our meals because our workplace coffee breaks have been replaced by a commitment to finally leaf through those abandoned cookbooks and stuff the take-out menus into the kitchen drawer. Our pets are also unintentional beneficiaries of our unemployment malaise because one-hour staff meetings have now been replaced by six carefully choreographed 10-minute daily petting sessions.

We have also become a bit more politically astute because the CNN news bar is always silently scrolling along the TV nearby. We know where Liberia is, the details of the latest health care reform bill floating through the House and Senate, and grimace at the increasing likelihood that our president knowingly misled us into a war against Iraq that now seems without end.

We anxiously await the latest unemployment figures and howl, "How long can this continue!" when they rise yet again. We understand such formerly arcane concepts as deflation and pretend that the Federal Reserve's decision to drop interest rates another quarter percent has some daily relevance as we write rent checks for overpriced apartments.

As these unemployment figures climb, we suddenly realize that the already cannibalistic competition for a dwindling number of jobs has intensified, and simultaneously fret over the prospect of being further exploited by employers who understand they can offer thinner paychecks to a bloated and desperate talent pool that runs anywhere from six to 60 deep for a single job slot.

We balance our checkbooks with an almost manic ardor, and now we pause before tossing out the coupons that slide across the floor when we open the Sunday paper and moan, "Will it actually come to that?" We vacuum daily and dust monthly instead of annually, and we recently cleaned underneath the kitchen sink. We brew our own coffee now, and break down to go to the dry cleaners only if the stain is noticeable from five paces away.

Men toy with the idea of growing goatees, but most ultimately surrender to conformity, driven by an irrational fear of being discriminated against by an anti-chin-hair human resources director they might meet at some party somewhere. Desperation and frustration can breed paranoia.

We have lowered our lottery entry barrier by several million, and we fastidiously complete the Publishers Clearing House application instead of automatically dropping it into the garbage (and debate whether our odds of claiming the top prize will improve if we purchase a magazine subscription).

More than once we have proclaimed, "The hell with it. Let's sell everything, move to Bermuda and sell scooters." Then we realize we know nothing about the Bermuda scooter market, how many scooter sellers operate there now, what their profit margins are, how intense the competitive climate is, what our exclusive points of difference would be, what assistance we could secure from the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce and concede that a half-baked Bermuda venture would only leave us in Bermuda with little money and a heavier load of debt.

We have become excellent filers, and our desks are admirably organized. We read in the middle of the day instead of only on the bus or before fading into sleep because we now have time. We have the time we always complained we needed. Now there is just too much of it.

Kehoe is a freelance writer who lives in New York City. After being unemployed for 14 months, he recently started a public relations consulting business.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New And Houston's elites couldn't care less

By ROBERT FOWLER

I grew up in the blue-collar environs east of the 610 Loop -- long before there was a loop. I subsequently settled down in that same area as a family and working man, and I had little or no contact with the wealthiest segments of Houston society.

I was not ignorant of their existence, mind you. I had driven my beaten-up jalopy onto the grand streets and boulevards of River Oaks on several occasions. I had gawked at the magnificence of the structures which I suppose pass for houses where the elite live. And, I admit, I had snickered over the pretentiousness of the society pages in the paper more than once or twice.

But the "genre of the genteel" was quite foreign to me until the dayI found employment as a chauffeur with a local limo service.

My initial reaction was shock. I had no idea that there were so many wealthy people. Or that there were so many huge plots of landscape devoted exclusively to the showcasing of their wealth and, I suppose, good taste. Stately lawns with opulent residences can be found across large regions of Harris County and beyond. I was oblivious, right up to the time it became my occupation to drive among them. And that's not to mention the numerous high-rise apartments and condominiums, (someone please explain the difference to me someday), the luxury hotels, the five-star restaurants, the boutiques, the spas, and God knows every business and service imaginable in order to make the blue bloods' lives a bit more bearable. The sheer numbers, not to mention the extravagance, staggered me.

My second reaction was confusion. The people who rode in the back of my car were, with a few exceptions, strikingly unhappy and discontent. Totally self-absorbed and driven, their entire focus appeared to be the accumulation of more money. I failed to see, and continue to fail to see, how another million or two could conceivable satisfy someone if their first $10 million or $20 million couldn't. And yet they wanted, even needed, more. (And, I have no doubt: They got it and then some.) I found the insatiable nature of their greed to be quite perplexing and not a little frightening.

My third reaction was contempt. My clients were predominantly white, well-educated and male. To my great misfortune, they were also arrogant, rude and notoriously niggardly. They were, to a man, highly conscious of their exalted status and went to whatever lengths necessary to ensure that I was conscious of that status as well. If that required brow-beating, so be it, but, for the most part, most understood that simple intimidation, using a crude symphony of authoritative voice inflections, sarcastic tones and subtle gestures, was sufficient to keep me in my place. Needless to say, this did not sit well with me, a middle-aged white man, struggling desperately to eke out a living. Their unwillingness to hand out even the most meager of tips endeared me even less.

My last feeling is sympathy. As they fly through life, seemingly oblivious to the trials and tribulations of the less well off among them, they fail to recognize their almost comical insignificance. With their apparent belief that the rest of the world was placed on this Earth to serve their petty, insatiable whims and desires, or to stroke their enormous egos, they underestimate the virtues and importance of the simple everyman. And they are ignorant of those things that bring purpose to what would otherwise be an empty wasteland of a world. Those are love and concern for our fellow man, and the conviction that we are all, indeed, our brother's keeper.

And I am sympathetic and, increasingly, empathetic toward the working poor, the homeless and the downtrodden. Sympathetic, because the typical passenger in the back of my luxurious limo never cast an eye in their direction, did not care to acknowledge their existence, and would not throw them a crumb unless they mowed his lawn or washed his car or walked his dog. Even then, it would be as little as he could get away with.

I am sympathetic toward the impoverished because, if my life continues on its current downward trend -- I am now unemployed -- I will soon join their ever-increasing ranks.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Re: And Houston's elites couldn't care less
I drove a cab, and often had these miserable people in the back. The nadir of self-indulgence was achieved by an attractive, 30ish woman, immaculately dressed, who got in my cab, gave me the destination, then began a long spiel about how we were going to deceive her husband. She spoke all this in a commanding tone, as if by stating it, it would automatically happen.

We got to her hotel where her playmate was waiting.

I looked back - "Keep your money and get the fuck out of my taxi."
-drl
New I am glad to hear it.
It may be very bad for me (and of me), but I am happy that those good-for-nothings finally got what they dished out so generously for the last few years.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Yep
I can't think of ONE place I worked that had really competent management. I can think of many that not only had INcompetent management, I can think of a few that were bordering on criminal. Ever go to work to find yellow tape across all the doors?
-drl
New And btw, the one really good boss I've had recently
found a job all right.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Aren't these the Murican 'Ba'athists' ?
These appear to be the group whose indifference to all lower-rungs on the ladder - at work and at 'home' - have personally nurtured the greatest transfer of wealth from the mass to the fewer and fewer.. since people started measuring Valuez by net-worth.

Now should just 1% of this mass of Me-Me-Me I've-Got-Mine-Jack folks with tunnel vision -?- experience an epiphany during those boring hours without a desk to Command from:

Surely the suffering of a new Corolla instead of a Jaguar - will have been worth it. Surely.

[And... how Nice: to be subjugated next.. to the same sort of mindless-HR juvenile nonsense as.. so many of these ex-es constructed. Love. It. Wear the goatee - you spineless group-think unedjakated silly MBA-droid!]

Ashton
Bizness: the Elephant Graveyard of Mind.
New How will pissed white-collarers affect voting patterns?
             Re: And Houston's elites couldn't care less - (deSitter)
         I am glad to hear it. - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Yep - (deSitter) - (1)
                 And btw, the one really good boss I've had recently - (Arkadiy)
         Aren't these the Murican 'Ba'athists' ? - (Ashton)
         How will pissed white-collarers affect voting patterns? -NT - (tablizer)

Just playing with your LRPD addiction...
64 ms