IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Database independence not practical
In the past this lock-in was unavoidable, but now persistence standards, particularly Java Data Objects (JDO) deliver the reality of total database independence. Without fear of lock-in or technical compromise, it is inevitable that enterprises will utilise whatever persistence mechanism best suits the job. Process integration does not mean data consolidation.

I will believe it when I see it. Only if you use a lowest-common-denominator subset of SQL can you have vendor independence, and that is too restraining. Some OO systems use the database as a mere file-system of sorts, and they can probably get away with that. But those kind of apps often reinvent a lot of stuff in code that *could* and perhaps should be done by the database.

A better solution for swappability would be to toss SQL for a more programmer-friendly language based on simpler primatives instead of the COBOL-like SQL.
COBOL is an Imperative language. SQL is a Declarative language. It's interesting that you're proposals for fixing DB programming involve Imperative languages - thus being much more related to COBOL than SQL.
New no, it is not
It's interesting that you're proposals for fixing DB programming involve Imperative languages

Where have I said this? (A long time ago we had an argument about such, but I eventually caved in.) The language I propose could be seen as functional or logical. But, could be implemented sequentially for smaller libraries. That is the beauty of it.
             COBOL-Like-SQL - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 no, it is not - (tablizer)

Well as long as I don't breathe, there's always a chance that I won't need oxygen.
42 ms